Introducing: The AEON!!! A New Light from Endeavour!!

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
fleegs: The light gets as warm as the CR2 Ion does, all of my lights dissipate about a watt's worth of power.

Not to pick on you specifically, Rob, but for the life of me I've never been able to figure out why it is some people capitalize every letter in the names of my lights (save for the Nautilus, it seems). With the CR2 Ion and now apparently the Aeon, people seem to often use all upper case letters as though it's an acronym for something (it isn't). :shrug: :thinking:

Take care folks.

-Enrique

Patriot

Flashaholic
Any chance it will handle an RCR2?

I was curious about this too. Will it take RCR2's? Either way it looks like a terrific light but I'm just not into primary CR2's. I can only see myself considering this if it takes rechargables.

Thanks.

fleegs

Enlightened
fleegs: Not to pick on you specifically, Rob, but for the life of me I've never been able to figure out why it is some people capitalize every letter in the names of my lights (save for the Nautilus, it seems). With the CR2 Ion and now apparently the Aeon, people seem to often use all upper case letters as though it's an acronym for something (it isn't). :shrug: :thinking:

Take care folks.

-Enrique

That is too funny. I typed Aeon and went back to change it to AEON because I thought it was an acronym. I figured the reviewers of the light must know its name. :crackup: Good info to have. I was wondering that.

Rob

Edit: I went back and looked and only the first post states AEON. Guess that stuck with me.

Last edited:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Some of my lights are purchased on the recommendations of CPF members, others because they fill a specific need ... the Nautilus was bought because it looked like the coolest 123 light on the market - and it is:D

You cannot own a Nautilus without wanting an Ion - which is tiny compared to its big brother. Say what you will about its emitter power, etc., it is an awesome light.

No question that I'll sign up for an Aeon in HA ... why not have a 'super Ion' ? All of Enrique's creations are instant classics, and the Aeon is a natural progression in the lineup.

Sweet:thumbsup:

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Msax great light photos. Dave, great beam shots. Thanks guys for the work and taking the time. I have enjoyed my Nautilus and look forward to picking up more of Enrique's offerings.

The output vs the size and runtime of this light looks outstanding.

Bill

DM51

Flashaholic
Some more notes on running the Aeon, and a few extra pics.

Run-time: The Aeon ran on high for exactly 90 minutes (new Panasonic CR2 cell). After that time, there was a very fast flicker, maybe at 20 Hz, for a further 10 minutes. This flicker was noticeable, but it was so fast that the light was still perfectly usable (still on high).

After this, the output gradually declined for a further 20 minutes, until at 2 hours after switch-on, it was at the low level. It continued on low for a further 90 minutes, then faded to off (dang it, I missed the actual fade-out to off while I was making a cup of coffee, lol). The total was therefore ~3½ hours, but bear in mind that includes 90 mins on the high setting. Results may vary with different brands of cells.

I said in my earlier post that this is a stunning result, and indeed it is. It is quite amazing that this tiny light can belt out all those lumens for so long.

Heat: During the above run-time test, the Aeon was tail-standing, not in my hand. The human hand is actually a reasonably effective heat-sink, so by tail-standing the light, it was heating up as much as was possible. After 30 minutes I picked it up to test the heat. I would describe it as hot, but easily bearable - not so hot you would want to drop it, or too hot to hold. After holding it for a minute or so, it became comfortable to hold, as the heat was conducted away by my hand. Verdict: heat is not a problem.

I didn't measure the run-time with the Aeon just on the low setting – it would have taken a very long time! Enrique says it should be ~40 hours.

Here are some pics. First of all, the business end of the light, with comparison shots of the Nautilus and the Ion XT. Nautilus top, Aeon center, Ion XT below.

Nautilus:
Aeon_lensN.jpg

Aeon:
Aeon_lensA.jpg

CR2 Ion XT:
Aeon_lensI.jpg

It can be seen from those pics that the Aeon is a scaled–down Nautilus – the similarities are striking. The Aeon has a proper polished LOP reflector, with a wide aperture. The Ion's aperture, by contrast, is smaller and narrower, with a steel reflector.

Now for inside the head, showing the +ve contact.

Nautilus:
Aeon_head1N.jpg
Aeon_head2N.jpg

Aeon:
Aeon_head1A.jpg
Aeon_head2A.jpg

CR2 Ion XT:
Aeon_head1I.jpg
Aeon_head2I.jpg

Again, this shows the similarity of the Nautilus and Aeon design (the Ion being the old design). The new switch mechanism is much more positive, as those who have compared the Nautilus to an Ion will have noticed.

lyrrag

Newly Enlightened
Any "guesstimate" of price so I can start saving now. Other not as worthy lights will have to wait.

lyrrag

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lyrrag: These will probably be released sometime in May in titanium, and the price point will be something similar to a Nautilus. There will be a thread posted with full details as well as something of a build log in the coming weeks over in the Custom B/S/T once metal and electronics start becoming flashlights.

-Enrique

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just read through the entire thread, and while I'm sure this information is present, I can't find it: can anyone tell me a little bit about the low setting? For instance, how bright is it? How do you reach it -- is it the first or second setting as you turn the bezel? Or is low mode only activated when there's not enough juice to run on high (you can't choose it from the bezel)?

Thanks! I have a high level of interest in this light myself, looking for something small and light but powerful for pocket carry

Last edited:

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lyrrag: These will probably be released sometime in May in titanium, and the price point will be something similar to a Nautilus. There will be a thread posted with full details as well as something of a build log in the coming weeks over in the Custom B/S/T once metal and electronics start becoming flashlights.

-Enrique

Now I understand, Enrique, what you were hinting at in those PM's a couple months back. :grin2:

This looks like the definitive CR2 light. It addresses my concerns with the previous designs, the size of the Nautilus and the brightness of the Ion, and marries them in a complete package.

:paypal: THREE DAYS AGO for the Titanium version!

Questions:

Grade 2 for the Titanium, continuing the tradition of the Ion and Nautilus?

R2 for the run? Or any chance of something brighter that you might have laying around?

Can I swim with this one?

The Titanium version? Brass heat sink and matching brass o-ring?

You're probably tired of this question: Same driver? Or any small changes in this one? (Echoing the comments about allowing RCR2.)

Is the new design upgradeable or more friendly to upgrade to keep pace with the new and forthcoming LED's? (I could swap a P7 inside and have 2 minutes of run time before it melts your hand off! :nana:)

Brian

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joe Talmadge: The light has two fully regulated stages, meaning you twist the head and start off in a low mode, and twist it some more until you reach high mode. As for how bright low mode is, any description I, and most people here could give you is rather subjective and lacks much true meaning, most of these sorts of things really have to be seen with one's own eyes in order to gauge them properly. That said, it's a reasonable brightness whereby you can see well in the dark when your eyes are adjusted to the dark, and it won't completely blast away your night vision.

bmstrong: I think you meant the size of the Ion and the brightness of the Nautilus. :nana: To answer your questions, in order:
1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. I suppose? All of my lights have been water resistant.
4. Yes, there's a picture of it earlier in this thread. Brass O-Rings sound like a terrible idea, but there will be a brass split ring as noted earlier on.
5. It's the same driver as what I used in the Nautilus, if that's what you're asking.
6. No, I don't make my lights to be used as modder fodder. :crazy:

Take care folks.

-Enrique

ibcj

Enlightened
I like what you've done with the positive contact. It looks like an improvement over the Ions that I've owned. (I've missed the Nautilus threads, so this is new to me) The knurling is top notch. I prefer no brass color on a ti light, but hey....it's your light. ;) I think you have a winner with the Aeon. :thumbsup:

lyrrag

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the answer to our questions. Other would be builders or manufacturers can learn a lesson from your attention to our questions. I tend to respect those that show respect for us as a group.

Thanks, lyrrag

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joe Talmadge: The light has two fully regulated stages, meaning you twist the head and start off in a low mode, and twist it some more until you reach high mode. As for how bright low mode is, any description I, and most people here could give you is rather subjective and lacks much true meaning, most of these sorts of things really have to be seen with one's own eyes in order to gauge them properly. That said, it's a reasonable brightness whereby you can see well in the dark when your eyes are adjusted to the dark, and it won't completely blast away your night vision.

That's the right answer for me, thanks.

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
nystrpr: Thanks. :)

lyrrag: No problem. I've been here at the CPF for over four years now and have been working on some project or another for most of those - keeping folks appraised of what's going on comes with the territory. :grin2:

I'm still looking at the end of May for release of the Aeon, and I've also gotten a small batch of Nautilii done in Titanium that will be offered concurrently with it. I will be posting an 'official' thread at the end of this week with regards to the Aeon and within a few weeks time some lights should start jumping into the postal system to find their new owners.

Take care folks.

-Enrique

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
If this is using the WG bin R2 Cree that you did a GB on, all I can say is I wish I had of bought more than two of the R2 LEDs. The color tint on these is excellent!

Last edited:

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitroz: These will be using R2 WH LEDs, which should be "whiter", though I was also very pleased with the R2 WGs I got previously.

l1s125: Right I'm focused on doing a run of Titanium lights; what comes after that will be determined later.

Take care folks. :)

-Enrique