Akoray K-106 Quality Control Survey

Have you had problems with an Akoray K106 or Trustfire F20 light?

• No, the light is excellent.

Votes: 48 65.8%
  • Yes, a minor issue, such as no mode memory.

Votes: 9 12.3%
  • Yes, a major issue, but the light is usable.

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • Yes, a major issue, and the light is unusable.

Votes: 12 16.4%

• Total voters

higbvuyb

Newly Enlightened
Have had a 3-mode programmable from DX for several months. Working perfectly.

musicalfruit

Newly Enlightened
I have a 3-mode and a 5-mode K106, both purchased from DX a few months ago. No problems whatsoever.

The 5-mode is a lot brighter than the 3-mode so I usually end up using it and leave the 3-mode sitting around.

Cemoi

Enlightened
I own one Akoray K106 light.

Akoray K106, 3 modes, no issues. Bought from KD three months ago.

ky70

Banned
I don't see an appropriate category for my circumstance, but I have one Akoray 106.

It's the 6 mode (non programmable) version from DX (bought last month) and it arrived stuck in beacon mode...nothing else worked besides 2 blink beacon mode. Thanks to the advice I received here, I kept at the light and dissassembled and just kept tinkering with this light and it finally started working and now the light works flawlessly.

I'm really impressed with the build and potential of this light and have ordered the 3 mode version of the 106 from KD hoping for the same solid light but with programming.

Last edited:

ronkar

Newly Enlightened
I have the 6-mode programmable purchased from DX a year or so ago. Took off the clip, which eliminated an occasional flicker. Mounted a wrist strap, and it is my regular EDC with a NiMh. When I have trouble telling the difference between medium and low, it is time to recharge.

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the identical (clone ?) Trustfire F20 five mode ... It's a few months old and works perfectly and is my EDC till my iTP A2 arrives from Hong Kong.

lingpau

Newly Enlightened
I have the Nkoray" K-106 5-mode which is about 3 months old. It has problems in the head and driverboard. It sometimes flickers and if you bump or jar it. it changes modes! Sometimes this is OK, all I have to do is bump it gently to change modes. Much faster than using the switch. Its really bright with a 14500 battery, so decided to keep it. I opened a case with DX and they offered me credit or to replace it. I decided to take the credit and keep the bump light! I think I can fix it by resoldering the head to the driver board. I don't know if I want to do that. Its one of my EDC lights!

CPFnoob

Newly Enlightened
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I had a similar problem with the light.
I tried to use it as an EDC since it has dim thru bright modes, but after a couple of days it stopped turning on.

I say it's a pos.

1.) Click switch is (was) very hard to press
2.) Memory was intermittent at best
3.) Wasn't very bright with AA battery. I could put the same AA battery in a Romisen RG-C2 and get 2x the light
4.)Pocket clip is embarrassingly flimsy

Other than these faults, it's a great light.

Blackbeard

Enlightened
I have the Nkoray" K-106 5-mode which is about 3 months old. It has problems in the head and driverboard. It sometimes flickers and if you bump or jar it. it changes modes! Sometimes this is OK, all I have to do is bump it gently to change modes. Much faster than using the switch. Its really bright with a 14500 battery, so decided to keep it. I opened a case with DX and they offered me credit or to replace it. I decided to take the credit and keep the bump light! I think I can fix it by resoldering the head to the driver board. I don't know if I want to do that. Its one of my EDC lights!

They did not offer me a credit, just said they are sending a free replacement, but I really dont want this junk. order this light at your own risk, but if you look at poll results, failure rate is very high.....stick with the $19 model.

tsx53

Newly Enlightened
I bought the Akoray K-106 Cree Q5-WC 5-Mode 230-Lumen Memory LED Flashlight (1*AA/1*14500) 9/16/2009 it arrived many weeks later would only operate if taped it with my hand, then it would fade out I then filled out a ticket at dx then 5 to 10 days went by finally they cotacted me and I was told to keep the 1st light and they shipped me a 2nd light packed better than the first which came in a bubble envelope and wrapped in a thin layer of bubble wrap it worked flawlessly.

LoM

Newly Enlightened
A world of miracle and magnets (or in Portugal)
I can't complain. Bought 7 Akoray K-106 (including the 3 mode programmable and the 5 and the 6 mode versions) and every one of them are still working with no major problem. Nevertheless, must say there's an annoying characteristic in the 5 mode version, the brightest of them all, as the light starts flickering after a few minutes of use in max. Although annoying, it can be easily solved by cooling the light.

superpila

Newly Enlightened
Bought 3 "Nkorays" with the green clicky, 1 was DOA, 1 would not work with AA, only 14500. The third worked ok. Sent them back to DX over a month ago, still awaiting replacement or a lousy email from them.

Also have a "Akoray" with the orange clicky, which has never given me problems.

I have the same setup of yours.
The most recent of the nkorays does not work on AA and draws 0.800ma on 14500s, the previous nkoray works very well on both AAs and 14500s, and is much brighter. Definitely my favourite. I also have the programmable 3 modes original akoray, which is also a lovely little light.
Overall I'm more than happy, although It seems to me that winning the lottery of "will it run on AAs" is becoming harder and harder with recent nkorays.

Blackbeard

Enlightened
Got my 2 "Nkoray" replacements for the DOA ones from DX today. Both seem to be working good. Only tried AA for fear of 14500 making en go :poof: and I am giving one away and selling the other.

elnorberto

Newly Enlightened
I bought my 5-mode K-106 around 6 months ago and initially found that it would flicker and changed modes of it's own volition. I found that the pill was not fully tightened into the head of the torch, and so was not making good electrical contact. I tightened the pill up using a pair of small needle-nose pliers, and this overcame the problems.

More recently I came across this thread:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/258549
and found that my K-106 also suffered from the same problem - the circuit board was misaligned in the pill, and the solder joints were poor quality and appeared to be very close to failure. I carried out the resoldering described here and since then I have had no problem at all with the Akoray.

Blackbeard

Enlightened
I bought my 5-mode K-106 around 6 months ago and initially found that it would flicker and changed modes of it's own volition. I found that the pill was not fully tightened into the head of the torch, and so was not making good electrical contact. I tightened the pill up using a pair of small needle-nose pliers, and this overcame the problems.

More recently I came across this thread:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/258549
and found that my K-106 also suffered from the same problem - the circuit board was misaligned in the pill, and the solder joints were poor quality and appeared to be very close to failure. I carried out the resoldering described here and since then I have had no problem at all with the Akoray.

I noticed 1 of the 2 replacements I got the other day was flickering intermittently, and I saw the crummy solder work, so I put some thin copper wire in as I have done to repair the flicker in Ultrafire C3, this seemed to work and no solder needed.