Am I hosed?

olddogrib

Newly Enlightened
Warning "headlamp dummie alert"! Lat fall I Got a Boruit HP300 LED for the green to use during hunting season going to the stand in the dark. I was pleased with it during the fall, but tried to use it this weekend up at the happy hunting grounds and it wouldn't work. It's been about two months since I used it last and the last 4 weeks of that was bitter cold. I've seen comments that the battery is crap on other threads and figure the cold killed it. I tried to charge it and it would not charge. It's a Rooter or some such, but looked like an NCR 18650B except for the flat positive terminal so I wasn't surprised that my spare 18650 with a "nipple" didn't work either, as I'm assuming due to the length it has to be a flat-top. Both + and- terminals are the tapered coil spring type. Brought it home and stuck it on my X-tar Ant only to find it wasn't dead. Got to looking and it looked like I may have over tightened the endcap and the spring contact at the neg. end wasn't making contact with the internal metal strips. Pulled the spring out slightly and re-tightened the cap just snug until it started working. Not so impressed with it now. Should I cut my frustration and just find another LED headlamp with agreen option. What do you recommend?

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a situation like you said, I always check my gear the day before. Also, carry a spare battery.
You could get someone to mod a different light with a green led…

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
First thing I noticed was that I've never heard of Boruit, which throws up "red flags" for me.

I looked for reviews (non-sales reviews, actual written or video stand-alone reviews) on it, and couldn't find any, which throws up even more "red flags" for me.

I can only say that I would not purchase that headlamp for anything, let alone hunting, and that my recommendation is to purchase a quality headlamp, and has been mentioned, to also purchase a backup for it.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do!

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Going into the dark woods where you can get lost, with an unreliable headlight, where you and others may be shooting whatever moves in the dark is about the same as buying a bungee cord at Home Depot to use for bungee jumping. Get yourself a reliable headlight. And a backup handheld light. The Nitecore HC60 headlight has worked harder and longer than any other headlights I've owned and has survived. I'd recommend the upgraded version the Nitecore HC60 v.2 if you want a reliable light. It doesn't have green l.e.d.s and doesn't throw a beam super far. It will light up everything in sight for a few hundred feet though. Acebeam H30 has red and green l.e.d.s but is pricy.