Am I the only one who keeps being linked to this dumb light on youtube?

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's got to do with our virtual footprints, marketing, cookies and our lack of web anonymity... those results are more often than not "tailored" to match your profiled interests ;)

Yep. You and a few others have hit the nail on the head. They now have software in place that monitors your interests, and caters to those interests. I just wish that software could figure out that I'm not interested in the 500 LED flashlight. Maybe if I went on to the video and clicked onto the thumbs down icon, I wonder if they have software that acknowledges that, and understands that you dont like the video, so therefore they need not link it to you? Probably not yet.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I wonder if they have software that acknowledges that, and understands that you dont like the video, so therefore they need not link it to you? Probably not yet.

Like most things in life, likelihood comes down to incentive structure. They are currently incentivized to provide positives (pay me to find surfers more likely to want your product). Negatives are a harder sell (pay me to find surfers less likely to want your product).

The incentive would only work if the advertiser saved money by not showing certain products. But customers who are pickier about one set of products are also less likely to want other things. So the result is a less valuable viewer - who no one wants to pay to avoid. Better just to sell them ad blocking services.