AmiLite T5 and TerraLUX K2 reviews - Flashlightreviews.com

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Placed my order last night for a T5. I couldn't resist any longer! I wanted one when everyone first got there's and were raving about it, but not that I have seen the output and runtime graphs the force was too strong. Now I am playing the waiting game but it should hopefully be here in around 5 days or so. I can't wait!!! :naughty:

NAW

Enlightened
Doug,

I'm sure you don't know me... but I would like to let you know because of your site I bought a Surefire U2 a long time ago. And now I think I'm going to purchase the T5 based on your review.

Awesome site dude. I've been there for many months & will be there for many more. :grin2: :grin2: :grin2:

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see now why TerraLux are replacing the K2's with SSC's. With less heat output the new dropin will probably beat or be on a par with the Magled. Hopefully you will have time to review this when it becomes available, along with the 3-6 cell dropin that is already out. Thanks.
SSC should be DOUBLE the efficiency of the Luxeon used in the Mag LED -- meaning the same brightness for more than double the runtime, or the same runtime with doujble the brightness (simply swapping the emitter). The fact that the K2 is performing so badly in that graph tells me that something is seriosuly wrong with the regulator. I'm wondering if the original reviewer got a fault unit, because that just doesn't make any sense. While less efficiency might be justifiable if it had dead perfect regulation, the fact that it doesn't IMO tells me that it's just plain junk, I don't see how 3 stars can be justified.

Last edited:

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your T5 review, Doug.

This light is tempting, but I confess I don't like the ~20 min. RCR123A runtime on high that I've seen reported. Seems like a higher low, or a 3 stage switch with a 60-80 lumen output "medium" would be a nice feature for this light.

Also, assuming AmiLite in Seoul is the only place to buy this light at present, I would really appreciate any owner posting what their total price, including shipping and other fees, came out to.

Thanks.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
It must be in direct drive. I read a post that said the T5 (on a 3.7 rechargeable) produced more overall brightness than the two cell M1 Cree Huntlight. I did not think it was possible until now. That is a real light cannon.

AFAustin said:

This light is tempting, but I confess I don't like the ~20 min. RCR123A runtime on high that I've seen reported. Seems like a higher low, or a 3 stage switch with a 60-80 lumen output "medium" would be a nice feature for this light.

Also, assuming AmiLite in Seoul is the only place to buy this light at present, I would really appreciate any owner posting what their total price, including shipping and other fees, came out to.

Thanks.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
AFAustin said:

Thanks.

The total cost is either $85 or $92. I chose to go with Global Express which has tracking and takes 5-7 days, while the $5 method is just Registered mail with no tracking and days 10-15 days. On a light this expensive I want tracking for it.

T4R06

Enlightened
adirondackdestroyer said:
The total cost is either $85 or $92. I chose to go with Global Express which has tracking and takes 5-7 days, while the $5 method is just Registered mail with no tracking and days 10-15 days. On a light this expensive I want tracking for it.

yep, i paid $92 also. im wondering i have not receive tracking # yet. i assume tonight im gonna receiving tracking # because its monday morning now in korea. wait is killing me...

SEMIJim

Enlightened
Quickbeam said:
"What do you mean by "sealed up tight"? Screwed together tight? " Yes. That's it.

I don't notice any rattle unless I snap it back and forth. Battery rattle by my definition is rattle "during casual use and consistently". Shaking the snot out of it to see if i can get it to rattle would seem a bit like running a Civic down a dirt logging road to see if there was any noticable "road noise" in the passenger compartment...
I agree with you, Quickbeam. I don't regard battery rattle an issue unless I notice it in normal use. And since I don't tend to be doing calisthenics when I'm using one of my flashlights, I generally don't find normal use to induce noticable battery rattle :).

Quickbeam said:
To satisfy everyone I have removed the sentence in the review about battery rattle.
Maybe "no excessive battery rattle noted," or something like that?

Quickbeam said:
I never put much stock in getting all hyped up over minor battery rattle - It's just not a big deal. You can try wrapping a piece of celophane tape around the middle of the battery if it really bothers you.
My 2D Mag, an older one I understand has a slightly over-sized tube, has a sheet of note paper lining the tube. Problem solved.

Quickbeam said:
I'm glad everyone (else) enjoys the reviews!
I did. I always do. Thanks very much, Doug!

Wrangler

Enlightened
Payed 85.- USD total and got the light delivered within 1 week! Thanks a lot to Amilite!!!
(Just to mention I never received any confirmation of my order or any confirmation of the light beeing sent, just the light itself!)

Anyway a tracking number (or insured shipping) could give you the certainty that your parcel was sent but does not absolutely get your money of a lost parcel back!
It happened with another dealer (and insured shipping!) that the post office of the sender`s country claimed the post office of the receiver`s country beeing responsible and vice versa. Never received any refund!

BTW, love my Ami T5! Great light, highly recommended!

UWAK

Enlightened
Wow... The T5 numbers is great. For those who have it. Is it true that this Amilite T5 is brighter than SF L4? Cheers!

Frids

Gannz

Newly Enlightened
Quickbeam said:
"What do you mean by "sealed up tight"? Screwed together tight? " Yes. That's it.

I ask this because that is the rational you used to dismiss my original observation of battery rattle. Thanks for dumbing it down for me again. I'm sure it's trivial to you but, to me, it's very insulting. "There is no battery rattle if it's sealed up tight" or "Someone mentioned battery rattle on the CPF forum but I say it's not true. I'll just put this simple sentence in here and anyone who reads about the battery rattle will know that all you have to do to avoid this problem is screw it together tight." Do you state in all of your reviews whether or not each flashlight has a battery rattle? So why go out of your way to point out that this one does NOT have a rattle?

Quickbeam said:
I don't notice any rattle unless I snap it back and forth.
Quickbeam said:
Battery rattle by my definition is rattle "during casual use and consistently".

The situation may not exist for you but it does for me and it doesn't take much for this light to clank on a primary cell. I'll change the rattle to a clank. How's that? Is a clank annoying enough for some people who pay $80 for a light? A clank is more often the case, much easier to notice in normal use, and really more what I was talking about. The rattle is an exaggeration of the situation but thanks to all of you who latched on to this as your only rationale for dismissing the problem. If I snatch it up from it's resting position it rattles. If I toss it from my right hand to my left hand (and even vice-versa) it rattles. I don't caress and carefully transport my flashlight from one hand to the other. If I drop it on a soft surface it clanks. If I tap my pocket to make sure it hasn't fallen out it clanks (I don't consider this a benefit). Even in light use it clanks. These are just a few examples for those of you who can't possibly imagine that you'll use your light this roughly. It does not rattle all the time in normal use but it clanks often.

It also can't be dismissed as easily as a nice cliche... "casual use and consistently". How would you know consistent with this flashlight? How long have you consistently used it? You review these and put them back in the box and then into your closet. By your own definition, you haven't used it long enough (consistently) to make that observation. And, I'll even point out the inconsistency in your definition of battery rattle. Occasional battery rattle/clank is enough for me to notice it. And it is consistent. The problem only happens 'occasionally' but it can be replicated 'consistently'. It clanks every time I bump it but I don't bump it all the time. It rattles every time I shake it but I hardly ever shake it. Does that mean the problem does not exist? That's your logic.

Quickbeam said:
Shaking the snot out of it to see if i can get it to rattle would seem a bit like running a Civic down a dirt logging road to see if there was any noticeable "road noise" in the passenger compartment...

Funny? A little. Relevant? Not at all. Again, are we going to ignore that the problem exists because the situation does not exist in your exaggerated analogy? No one said anything about shaking the snot out of it. In my original post regarding the rattle, I already stated that I don't habitually shake my flashlights and I've even gone as far to concede the rattle to a clank. Again, the shaking and rattling are used to emphasize the problem not as fodder to exaggerate it and dismiss it with funny metaphors. Just because you don't shake the flashlight in normal use doesn't mean that the battery does not rattle if you shake it. Since you like analogies and cliches so much let me put it to you like this... If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it, it still makes a noise.

Quickbeam said:
I never put much stock in getting all hyped up over minor battery rattle - It's just not a big deal.

I know it might not seem like it but I agree… just not for the same reasons as you. Even when I lightly retrieve my T5 from it's resting point it clanks. Again, it's not a big deal to me. I found an easy solution. I saw a minor problem that some potential buyers might want to know about and I offered a simple solution. It's really not a big deal to me. What is a big deal to me is being treated like some FNG who can't screw a flashlight together. I mentioned the battery rattle as a side note in WHC's review. You're the one who went out of his way to point out, on your web page, that there is no battery rattle when it's sealed up tight. Just because the flashlight doesn't rattle when YOU "use" it doesn't mean it dose not rattle when I use it. And, if you deny that this thing clanks easily then I must have a bad flashlight because mine clanks with the slightest tap/bump.

Quickbeam said:
You can try wrapping a piece of cellophane tape around the middle of the battery if it really bothers you.

You're obviously reading what you want to read. I'm not claming 'tape' as a my own revolutionary idea for building up a cell but I am insulted by the fact that you don't remember I already realize this. You obviously read my post about the battery rattle b/c I'm the only one who's said anything about a battery rattle. You just read the part about the rattle? You didn't read the part about "I don't habitually shake my flashlights" before you made the funny analogy with your '82 Honda Civic? You didn't read the part about a simple solution of wrapping some metal tape around an RCR before you offered your suggestion of Scotch tape? Thanks for nothing. You see, that's the real problem here. You think that some "unenlightened" FNG can't possibly be right about anything. I can have this conversation with myself. You're only going to read between the lines anyway.

Quickbeam said:
I'm glad everyone (else) enjoys the reviews!

<edited: first sentence removed> I'm very sorry for defending my position even though you're the one who called me out. I'm just some guy who's trying to provide a little helpful information to potential buyers (as I hope you are). I won't point out a problem unless I have a solution for it or I'm seeking the solution.

If you want to avoid criticism then do nothing. Otherwise, you're going to have to be held to a higher standard because you've taken it upon yourself to have your own forum where you are the only voice. IMO, for your reviews or opinions to mean more than anyone else's on the board you'll have to be better than the average Joe and strive to eliminate as much subjectivity and bias as possible. If this is not the case then you're just a guy with a nice camera and a pile of free flashlights.

From what I can gather, you seem like a nice person. I appreciate your site, your time, and this forum. I'm sure you've done more for the community than I have or ever will. But, that doesn't mean that you can dismiss my observations and contributions and expect me to bend over and ask for more.

I think the spring is undersized. It had issues to begin with that have already been verified on CPF. It's so long and narrow and the tension is so low that it has to be just about perfectly straight for it to work properly. Let's not just skim over the problems. I agree that they are minor problems and I also agree with your five star rating but I don't agree with choosing to withhold some of the facts. I believe this is Amilites first clicky tail and personally, I don't believe it was well thought out. I think the light would benefit from a wider, stouter, stronger spring and a tighter tolerance on the switch washer (that's another minor problem I have with the light OCASSIONALLY misfiring in certain situations and I'll address it in a separate post… complete with a simple solution).

If you want to discuss a solution with me please, feel free. If you want to tell me how pretty it is and how bright it is, I applaud your efforts. But, please don't tell me that your flashlight, in a box in your closet, doesn't consistently clank or rattle or misfire when you "use" it.

Last edited:

Gannz

Newly Enlightened
Wrangler said:
Payed 85.- USD total and got the light delivered within 1 week! Thanks a lot to Amilite!!!
(Just to mention I never received any confirmation of my order or any confirmation of the light beeing sent, just the light itself!)

Anyway a tracking number (or insured shipping) could give you the certainty that your parcel was sent but does not absolutely get your money of a lost parcel back!
It happened with another dealer (and insured shipping!) that the post office of the sender`s country claimed the post office of the receiver`s country beeing responsible and vice versa. Never received any refund!

BTW, love my Ami T5! Great light, highly recommended!

How did you pay? If you paid by credit card or Paypal you could/should have gotten a refund. How did you try to get your refund? From the company who sold you the light or from paypal (or credit card company)? Tracking is nice for the buyer but the real benefit is for the seller. Any seller who does not provide tracking (or delivery confirmation, which is really what you guys want) is taking the risk on any non-delivery claims. The burden of proof is on the seller. If you dispute the transaction with paypal or your credit card company then the seller must provide proof of delivery (registered mail with or without tracknig is acceptable). If the seller can not provide this proof then you will receive a full refund.

Last edited:

SEMIJim

Enlightened
For God's sake, Gannz, you're making a mountain out of a mole hill. Plus, inflammatory comments like "I'm sorry I didn't suck up to you like everyone else." certainly won't improve the level of discourse. Do yourself and the rest of us a favour and please give it a rest? Thank you.