AN/VSS's Duel & Tank Lights Tangle, Who Wins?

BVH

Flashaholic
Mtbkndad, if you're close by over the weekend, stop by to see them up close. We're not doing anything and will be home all weekend. The Burbank pilots are not there right now and might be on duty later on. Will try again.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Congrats on being 1st! :bow:

I have a pic of a 'Nam long body Huey with a VSS-3 (not 3A) mounted next to a GE minigun in the door, and there are accounts of their use on line. Sorry for the lack of links. I think they were improvised, as I have never seen any info on helicopter mounts, but have part#'s for the M60 and M448(?) mount kits in the manuals I have.

(O.T? I made and tried the drill fixture today and it needs changes. :( )

Larry

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
BVH,

I google mapped your street and I believe the tower at the top of my favorite night ride will put me nearly line of sight with your house.
I will call you when I am in the area tomorow.
It would be great to be able to see those lights in person.

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I wondered about that being an FAA restriction, since on a practical basis it would have the same effect on wiping out a pilots night vision as the laser restrictions.

Do you think those special event/party/sales promo mega searchlights have to get an FAA variance everytime they use them?

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
Thank you billhess! I too live close to an airport. I love playing with my HIDs, but I don't want to interfere with the pilots (especially when they're landing!) So whenever I see a plane approaching, I quickly kill the light (which isn't the greatest for my HIDs, since I sometimes have to turn them off before they've fully warmed up.)

This manual really helps. I sincerely hope I'm not violating any other laws, but at least I now know I'm safe with this one; it requires that you have shined the light with an intent to interfere with aircraft. To the contrary, I'm actively trying to insure that I *don't* interfere!

- FITP

BVH

Flashaholic
I, too, noticed the "intent". But with things the way they are after 911, I'll bet the have somewhat of a blank check when prosecuting people.

I've always run my HID's for two or three minutes minimum so the salts fully vaporize and the glass gets hot. The instructions that came with the spare lamp I got for my Locator HID, say to always run the lamp for a minimum of 3 minutes. Otherwise, lamp life will be greatly shortened. Now I have something in writing to hang my hat on.

lotsalumens

Enlightened
BVH,

Excellent comparison, thanks for doing it! I have always been curious about the effects of the different bulb orientation in the in the VSS-1 vs VSS-3a.

Also that is a really nice rig you built for the VSS-1. I'll be looking forward to seeing what you come up with for your VSS-3!

Charles

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
BVH,

Excellent comparison, thanks for doing it! I have always been curious about the effects of the different bulb orientation in the in the VSS-1 vs VSS-3a.

Also that is a really nice rig you built for the VSS-1. I'll be looking forward to seeing what you come up with for your VSS-3!

Charles

I agree, BVH's setup looks even more impressive in person.

Take Care,

frogs3

Enlightened
I read with interest the code concerning the use of lights directed at aircraft. The key is "intent", which you have clearly exculpated, and the second issue concerns the basic matter of "who works for whom"? Since I will assume you pay your taxes, the operational safety of aircraft, including the helicopters you have mentioned, all fall under the jurisdiction of "being financed by the taxpayers". I find the need to remind my local politicians of this essential truth every few weeks, and find it helps clear their minds immensely when election time arrives.

If you want to meet with the local officials, they should be very eager to meet with their boss, ie YOU. If not, your local Congressperson will arrange everything for you in no time. This has worked for me on unrelated matters in PA.

Enjoy the power of those glorious artifacts of a time past -- it is after all, your Constitutional right.

-HAK

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
frogs3,

I read that code too and don't think it would apply to BVH for a couple of reasons.

1. There is no airport near him.
2. I do not believe he lives in the normal path of any private or commercial planes.
Even the police helicopter would have to go out of it's way to get in the path of the beam if he has his lights lit first.

BVH you can correct me on this if I am wrong, but I do not remember seeing many planes in your neck of the woods under any normal circumstances.

I believe they come into our area closer to where I live and turn south toward the airport that is closest to either of us. At least I believe that is what the flights I take back from MBC in Colorado do. That would also put them miles and a couple mountain ranges away from you.

Take Care,

BVH

Flashaholic
Burbank Airport is probably 2 miles away as the crow flies - or as the beam travels. It is very rare that a plane will fly over the house and it always approaches from the south for a landing, never a take off so it's just about impossible for me to accidentally hit one.

Last edited:

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
Burbank Airport is probably 2 miles away as the crow flies - or as the beam travels. It is very rare that a plane will fly over the house and it always approaches from the south for a landing, never a take off so it's just about impossible for me to accidentally hit one.

I didn't think I had ever seen commercial jets or private planes near your house. I asked my wife and she said she seems to remember approaching Burbank from the north too. Actually what I mean is flying west but north of the airport until it is time to line up with the runway. Then we seem to circle around and since I do not sit at the window I am not sure how long that turn lasts. The next time I am at Fry's I will pay closer attention to the prevailing approaching Jet paths.

Take Care,

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Actually despite Harvey's optimistic outlook, all it will take is one law enforcement officer and/or pilot to make a complaint. There is no way you can prove your intent if they want to go after you. That's why I was wondering what the FAA guidelines are for all those party/retail promo mega arc searchlights that are visible for 10-25+ miles.

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
Actually despite Harvey's optimistic outlook, all it will take is one law enforcement officer and/or pilot to make a complaint. There is no way you can prove your intent if they want to go after you.

While it's true that an overly-zealous prosecutor might seek to charge you with violating this law, conviction's another thing entirely. The beauty of our legal system is that it's the government's burden to prove your intent - not the other way around. You're considered innocent until proven guilty, so you don't have to show that lacked intent. Rather, the government needs to somehow establish that you had the relevant intent.

- FITP

Hemlock Mike

Enlightened
There is a trump card held by the govt. It's called terrorism.
We are losing freedoms every day in little ways.:sigh:

I'm a pilot too so I always search the sky and if I see one --- let it pass clear out of the way. Only takes a couple minutes at most. Maybe check a airman's chart to see if you are near a Victor airway. Might want to avoid them - it's like a highway in the sky.

Mike

lotsalumens

Enlightened
Charles, I'm going to have one of Larry's perfect tripods in the future for the VSS-3a. Not sure what I'll do for the Locator.

I forgot that you were having one made too. Looking forward to one of Larry's masterpieces myself!

Charles