AN/VSS's Duel & Tank Lights Tangle, Who Wins?

BVH

Flashaholic
I'd love to see VSS2, 4 & 5 pics if you can find them! As I just noted in my latest post in the 500 Watt Light Cannon thread, a mainstream short arc bulb mfg believes this was also a tank light.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't remember seeing these pics either, the ones of the comparison vss 3vs 1. Great to see.
I made a calculated guess sometime, the VSS-3 isn't that much smaller reflector surface as the vss-2. And the vss-1 arc size is much larger, although higher watt.
There have been vss-4 (or even vss-5), as prototype or just in small numbers, can't remember but do know I've googled a picture sometime. It was smaller in diameter, and round reflector.

I do no what report Get-lit mentions, its testing done by TNO in Texas with a chopper. Will place the link here later this weekend.
Edit: found, its referenced and linked at the frontage of www.laserpointersafety.com

Here ist the direct link to the document.
Interestingly their 60" Carbon Arc Light only measured in at 129,000,000lux (12900 measured at 100m). The Dominator (a 60" Carbon Arc with 16kW HMI Lamp) measured in at 140,000,000. I hope my calculations are correct, I used lux@1m = lux@x meters * x * x.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's the link!

100m is way too close to measure lux from such large a aperture.

Yeah, I guessed that this is the case.

Interestingly they only used a 3.5mW green laser pointer from Radio Shack.

Wicked Laseres now offers a 1000mW green laser pen. It's hard to imagine what that would be like for the helicopter pilot.

Walterk

Enlightened
There is another difference in the lights, wasn't it?
The VSS-1 having a Turbo-mode and the VSS-3 only one mode?
Or am I mistaken here..

BVH

Flashaholic
You are correct, but I never used it. It was on a timer - something like 17 seconds or something like that. I never tried it for fear of blowing the bulb and trashing the light.

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
BVH

Are these lights pictured in action the same lights you are selling below?

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Lights-Package-For-Sale&p=3943403#post3943403

I have always wanted the light with joystick on the trailer with the diamond plate, looks awesome!

Yes they are, 2 VSS-3's but only one control box and tripod. Kinda like buying an HID light and a spare "bulb"

Two complete lights now. Matter of finding right buyer. Have you considered ebay as someone who is not looking has gosta have one of these.

BVH

Flashaholic
No, that -3 (10 of them avail) has been on for quite some time and the GSS-1 has also been there for quite a while. I sold the tripod setup and am keeping the second setup. Just can be without one!