And...The 3-stage L0P mod!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJohn

Enlightened
MillerMods said:
Wow, so that's it so far, I thought there'd be a lot more interest in ... a multi-stage L0P.

I think many are waiting to see what you can do and waiting for a review/specs of a prototype. There is excitement for what you are doing. Just check how many people read your post. If you can build it (a small, reliable multi-stage AAA that can use standard common batteries) people will come. I will certainly want more than one and I think you can do it. There will be a long list of interested people.

Keep up the creative work (and keep an eye on the Peak Pacific too as this would also be a good base to work from),

John

Weep

Newly Enlightened
So, I just noticed this (and then, via user's posts search, the other related threads) and have a few questions...

1. What components are you using? :naughty: (Well, it can't hurt to ask! :D)
2. Is your circuit current-regulated, semi-regulated, or just a voltage boost?
3. If it's at all regulated, would the multi-level capability maintain regulation (at a lower level), or would it just drop the effective battery voltage so it deregulates to a low direct drive+resistor mode?

Depending on regulation this might be the closest thing I've yet seen to what I'd consider my perfect EDC... Work some magic and get a focusable beam in the deal too and it WOULD be my perfect EDC! :laughing:

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
{popcorn}

Lack of multistage is what has kept me from outright buying an L0P, but if you can pull this off, it looks like my wallet will be dieting again. Perhaps you could work something out with 4sevens to keep the total cost of the modded light under $80? Just a thought- if the light will work as advertised, it is worth the loot.

I'll look forward to seeing if you can come up with something similar for the Peak 1AAA luxeon when that comes out.

Its a wonder why, when there is so much demand for consistantly reliable multi-stage in these lights, that the companies themselves don't encorporate it into their production designs. Cost? Time constraints?
Ah well, if they did, you wouldn't get this piece o' buisness ;).

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
Weep said:
So, I just noticed this (and then, via user's posts search, the other related threads) and have a few questions...

1. What components are you using? :naughty: (Well, it can't hurt to ask! :D)
2. Is your circuit current-regulated, semi-regulated, or just a voltage boost?
3. If it's at all regulated, would the multi-level capability maintain regulation (at a lower level), or would it just drop the effective battery voltage so it deregulates to a low direct drive+resistor mode?

Depending on regulation this might be the closest thing I've yet seen to what I'd consider my perfect EDC... Work some magic and get a focusable beam in the deal too and it WOULD be my perfect EDC! :laughing:
It's semi-regulated. Power out is cell draw, 800mA for instance times cell voltage, say 1.2 volts minus 13% loss in step-up conversion equals .83 watts to the lux. The output power will decline proportionally with cell voltage decline which is better than you might think because the voltage doesn't vary as much with one cell as when compared to multiple cells.

I will use a drop resistor and that will have about a 10-15% power drop. Not bad at all, considering you'll get about 8-12 hours of runtime (depending on the battery chemistry) with 25-35mA of drive to the lux.

The high mode can be specified by the buyer and I can set it up to drive the lux from anywhere between 150mA to 400mA, and there is NO drop resistor involved with that.

BTW, once the reflector/lens assembly is loosened, you can position the reflector up and down by twisting it so it can go from spot to flood. You can also all together remove the assembly and then you have candle mode. Nice Huh?

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
greg_in_canada said:
This is sounding better and better. Assuming 25mA to the Luxeon on low and 250 or 300mA on high, is 75mA or so on medium feasible?

Thanks - Greg

75mA to the lux on medium can be done with no problem.

Weep

Newly Enlightened
MillerMods said:
It's semi-regulated. Power out is cell draw, 800mA for instance times cell voltage, say 1.2 volts minus 13% loss in step-up conversion equals .83 watts to the lux. The output power will decline proportionally with cell voltage decline which is better than you might think because the voltage doesn't vary as much with one cell as when compared to multiple cells.
Fair enough.

BTW, once the reflector/lens assembly is loosened, you can position the reflector up and down by twisting it so it can go from spot to flood. You can also all together remove the assembly and then you have candle mode. Nice Huh?
Oooh, really? Would you be willing to post a beamshot of the beam quality (or lack thereof...) defocused to broad flood (as wide as it gets before severe ringing appears)? Yes, I realize it was never intended to function that way, so it might be pretty bad - I'm just curious.

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are some shot's of the L0P with the bezel assembly loose and used to focus the beam.

And here it is in candle mode.

Weep

Newly Enlightened
Great shots, thank you! Looks pretty good, actually...

I'm actually quite interested in this. The only things missing from my theoretical "dream light" are current regulation including dimming, and momentary activation (in addition to constant on), but those would probably be a lot more expensive, or downright impossible without increasing the light size quite a bit... So all things considered, this is looking pretty appealing!

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree that it looks pretty good. I'm going to get this mod if 4sevens can ship directly to MillerMods (to avoid crossing the border an extra time).

Current regulation on dimming would be nice, but at 25 or 30mA to the LED the run time will be so long that it won't matter too much. On medium (with say 100mA to the LED) it would help a fair bit.

Greg

Last edited:

Diode

Newly Enlightened
I'm interested in a "Super L0P", with a 3-stage switch, Li-Ion battery, and a T- or U-bin Luxeon III. :whistle:

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
Diode said:
I'm interested in a "Super L0P", with a 3-stage switch, Li-Ion battery, and a T- or U-bin Luxeon III. :whistle:
As long as the lux Vf is K-bin or higher. I'll have to see about setting up the regulator to use different references for the drive current. BTW, If you want it driven at say 2.5 watts on high, I hope you don't mind keeping an oven mit with you!

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
greg_in_canada said:
4sevens was okay with shipping the L0P straight to you. I just paypal'd him so it should arrive some time next week I hope.

Thanks - Greg

He ships quick, I'll see it next week for sure.

Fixer

Newly Enlightened
The 3-stage mod is something that would persuade me to buy an L0P. I am very interested in this. I will order when it becomes available.

pc_light

Enlightened
MillerMods said:
Here are some shot's of the L0P with the bezel assembly loose and used to focus the beam.
:thumbsup: Do tell MillerMods, what was involved to get the head apart. I have a pair of L0P's and noticed a difference in beam focus. I actually preferred the one with slightly larget hotspot (de-focused), and was wondering if I could tighten/loosen to achieve that.

BTW, I was planning on just throwing a couple of SMD resistors in the conduction path and doing a simply 2-level adjust. That would only result in stock and reduced levels.

Can't wait to see your mod, a little more power would be nice, making it -
high(er) - stock - lower.

pc_light

Last edited:

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have completed a 2 stage mod for the L0P. It works very well and the spring material I'm using is impervious to over tightening. CPF user greg_in_canada will be the first to have one of these little gems. For now the 3-stage is on hold because I didn't leave as much room on the PCB as I should have for the size of the resistor package I ordered. I can make it work but it's just more of a pain than I want to deal with for the price I stated. I'll still do the 2-stage for $28.00 plus shipping, but the 3-stage price will be higher than I stated. I'll have to do some more "dinkin' around" to figure out what it's worth.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
My $0.02.

Your beam shots look pretty good but I'd love it if on the 3-way, you shoot for your medium to be pretty close to halfway between low and high in terms of output -- not just current.

One of my only complaints with the Nano was that medium was so close to high in terms of output that it really made high an anticlimax.
:(

Sure the medium stomped on high in terms of runtime but if the high doesn't stomp the medium when comparing output then to the flashaholic in me, it just doesn't justify the extra expense of a 3-way.

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
O.K.! Here it is.... Greg will let us know what he thinks. I think it worked out very well if I do say so myself.
For greg_in_canada, I went ahead and did the 3 stage mod.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.