Any ideas on what to turn a broken HD into?

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
A friend of mine turned his Apple Mcintosh computer into an aquarium with bright colored small fish, it looks so cool!

AlexGT

allthatwhichis said:
Booooo, hisss... :bumpit: The whole point was to "turn" it into something, not get rid of it. There's no fun in that.

Now the two OLD computers and one apple monitor I have that needs to be gotten rid of... You have a wonderful idea for. I just don't know where my local electronics recycler is located. :awman: :grin2:

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
That's cool. The apple is a g3 I think. The colored one that is mainly just a monitor. It would work well as a fishy tank... I hear it is dangerous to open a monitor though... :poof:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's fun discharging capacitors with screwdrivers!! Takes the plating right off of the screwdriver and makes a loud snap! :D BTW if you find a voltage multiplier/doubler in there, I want it! lol

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a friend from church who showed me how to de-vac a picture tube from an old monitor that I was about to dispose.

After ripping the circuit board off the back of the tube to expose the connection pins; you'll see a little plastic cap around the stem. Carefully cut the plastic off from around the stem. Place tube in cardboard box (or cover with blanket) then snap the stem with a pair of pliers. You'll hear air rushing into the the tube. You can now dispose of it whichever way you want.

The monitor we got rid of had been sitting in my garage for almost a year so there was pretty much no charge left in it. You can ground the capicators to make sure though.

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
:huh2: I don't think you can just drop a monitor off anywhere you want no matter what you have done to it. There is still enviormentally toxic elements in there that need to be disposed of correctly. I doubt the local landfill is the correct spot. At least that's what they told us what I got my A+. They were pretty adimant, don't open them and don't throw them in the trash. Isn't there a lot of mercury or something in computer components? I'm not sure exactly what, I just know you can't roll it out to the curb with last weeks garbage...

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
IsaacHayes said:
Not sure, but the trashman took out 1992 31" tv without question.
I just moved into a new house two weeks ago... The person across the street left a ole 19 in TV outside for the garbage collector last Monday... The collectors left it again this week... :ohgeez: :lolsign:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
The trick is putting it into your trashcan. They will pick up anything that fits in the trashcan. Anything else sitting on the grass/curb they leave.

It was quite a sight seeing our 31" TV wedged into the top of our blue trashcan. :D

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a 77 page PDF file about toxic materials in IT (Computer) devices (pretty detailed listing of all major materials of concern):

IT Hazardous Materials

Lead in Computer Monitors (from Page 11 of above PDF file):

Monitor - CRTs (65-75% lead
in frit, 22-25% lead in funnel
glass and 30% lead in neck)

Radiation shield 0.5 kg/17 inch monitor

Monitor - CRTs (70% lead in
frit, 22% in funnel glass, 30% in
neck, 29% in stem, 2.5% in
panel)

Various amounts listed--from around 1/2 kgram to 3 kg in each monitor (another source, about 6.3% of total weight).

-Bill

LEDMaster2003_V2

Newly Enlightened
If you're a percussionist (or know someone who is) you can make really cool sounding "bells" out of the platters.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
matrix: there ya go! I like the idea!
Jar: I saw something similar video, I think via one of the links posted in this thread, with a laser the hd arm, and amplifier with music.
PUE: yeah, free hide-a-key box DIY! I bet it would collect a lot of metal dust being so strong lol! Don't put it near your brakes! hehe.