any one know 1980s computer specs.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
That's what I've heard also. Even before the M1 though it was really good. I used to have a Macbook Pro at work including a VMware emulator running Windows side-by-side with MacOS, and the Windows stuff ran faster on my Macbook than they did on some native Windows laptops at the time. It was impressive.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
sadly i think intel wont be around much longer amd is a tad better but intel is still on 10 nm cpu die

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I went to AMD for a little while in the 90s but I went back to Intel when I saw what a power hog and heat source those AMD chips were at the time. They've gotten far better since then but that memory still sticks in my head.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
amd is kicking butt now. which makes intel work harder. but arm cpus are the way to go. i recall some amd.cpus that fan sounded like a wet vac lol

raggie33

*the raggedier*
didn't want to make a new thread but wanted to talk about the new macbook comeing out . its a 3nm cpu and gpu. how far we have come blows my mind intel better wake up . but its good news for us all makes prices goes down and keeps amd and intel and apple coming out with cooler stuff

bykfixer

Flashaholic
IMG_1450.jpeg

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ps id imagine if we have not improved stuff a cell phones power would take the space up as a walmart ...i also see a ps5s power can soon come ina thumb drive sized device .that would be so cool walk around with a ps5 in are pocket

raggie33

*the raggedier*
whats crazy now we have video games that are dang near a like 400 giga bytes if i recall correctly

raggie33

*the raggedier*
who recall the first flight simulator. we was impressed at how good it looked wow the sky is blue the grass is green the trees look like trees kind of. wait to you play a modern version for real you may even see you house if you fly over ya area. guess they used satellite pics .

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
My very first computer had an Intel i386SX processor that ran at 16MHz, had 1 megabyte of RAM, and a 40 megabyte hard drive. That was right at the beginning of the 1990s. I'm pretty sure what you're reading is correct.
Similar here, but had an 80286 running at 12MHz. Monochrome 12" CRT monitor, keyboard and 5-1/2" floppy rounded out the deal, no mouse. It was a "clone".

Dave

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wanted a Sinclair ZX80 so badly at the time, but couldn't afford one. 1KB RAM, 4KB ROM. No simultaneous input and output, so the display blanked when one was typing, lol.
ZX81 was pretty amazing small computer, 4 chips plus the regulator. I did a lot of fun little projects with it. Replaced the 1k byte static RAM with 2k. I still have it in a box somewhere, and planning to fire it up someday soon.

There was an optional 16k byte DRAM memory expansion, which did not have a solid connection on the back, and would crash the machine if you moved it the wrong way.

Later came the Timex-Sinclair 1000, had one but sold it way back.

Dave

Last edited:

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
didn't want to make a new thread but wanted to talk about the new macbook comeing out . its a 3nm cpu and gpu. how far we have come blows my mind intel better wake up . but its good news for us all makes prices goes down and keeps amd and intel and apple coming out with cooler stuff
I considered getting one but I don't think I would like it as much as the old MBPs.

mqqn

Newly Enlightened
This thread made me smile.

In 1983 I was an operator of an IBM 4341 mainframe with three impact printers, 7 magnetic tape drives and an array of 3340 removable disks.

The frame had capability of up to 8mb of main memory, and each of the removable hard disks were 30mb.

The key thing was that the channel efficiency was good, and the concept of virtual machine was becoming well established by then.

Those were interesting times!

The frame, when powered up each time, had an initial microcode load (IML) and initial program load (IPL) procedure took place that was read from a 5.5 inch floppy disc, provided by IBM.

Each time I powered the frame down for maintenance, I had to run a /*, /& and $$eoj punchcards through to allow software "end of job".