Any Surefire Z-series addicts out there?

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Any Z2 addicts out there?

So hows about a 12Z?

12Z center, 6Z far left with a Z3 to the right of it

BigGuns.jpg

BIGLOU

Enlightened
I know It's a Z-series thread but all the combat lights came out. I'm also looking for a clean Z2. I had a clean one, but was being a nice guy one day and gave it to my LEO neighbor. It's one of those things you wish you never done. Anyways you guys made me bust out with the camera.

My Z2 with 6PDL head rocking a MD M61 on an AW 18650 with SF Combat Ring CG-R-1 and G2Z with Xeno Smooth Bezel Ring rocking SF P60L on 2 x AW RCR123s with McClickied Delrin Shrouded Tailcap.
DSC03164.jpg

DSC03161.jpg

Nachtwacht

Newly Enlightened
DSC00747.jpg
[/QUOTE]

A Z3 HA (Z3-S HA) by SureFire, now that's a light I have been waiting for for a long time. If SureFire would decide to produce one of these, I'd buy it right away.

I never understood why, years ago, SureFire decided to take the Z3 out of its product line. I find the ergonomics of the Z-series better than my C3 and my M2. First, with the Z's it doesn't matter how you pull the light out of the holster (bezel down carry). The grip is always the same. You don't need to shift it in your hand as you sometimes do with the C's or M2, because of the clip / square body. Second, if you want to use the grip rings for what they are designed, i.e. SureFire-Rogers-grip with a handgun ('cigar'-grip), I also find the Z's far superior to the C's or M2, for two main reasons:

(a) just like the flashlight body, the rubber rings are completely round. There's less chance it will slip out of your hand. You always have the same grip;

(b) contrary to the C's or M2 you can adjust the Z's to the size of your own hand, by adding or taking away one of the rubber spacer rings. This doesn't matter so much if you're activating the light with the top of your thumb (Harries-grip, neck-index, FBI,...), but to me it makes a difference when activating it using the SureFire-Rogers grip. It all depends on the size of your hands, of course.

I would love to have an M3, but would probably still prefer a type III anodized Z3 because it's more compact, is easier to upgrade and fits bezel down in the existing 6P/Z2 holsters.

So, yes I also prefer the Z's.

Last edited:

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh mercy!
i only handled oen when i changed teh bulb of a local cop to a LED drop-in.....

then my C2 seemed nasty like a fat woman on spiked leather!

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
Wow, thanks for all of the history lessons guys. I was just expecting pics of Z2's G2Z's etc.. I didnt know any of these older ones existed as they were before my addiction started. Now I can see I am going to have to be hunting the Market Place for a few!

You can see the 6Z, 7Z and 9Z in a 1996 Surefire catalog HERE.

A blast from the past! Very cool to browse the old catalog. Some very cool old stuff. plus, It made me want to grow a mustache!

web.jpg

Ok Captain...I'm coming out of the closet...but I still love my C2/C3's!!!

Nice AOW! You always come out with a ton of Surefires anytime Surefire is mentioned! Some great lights you got there! I wanna see the insides of those cases...

A little bit of Oveready Custom HA goodness...

Nice Oveready's!

Shao, what bezel is on that bottom one?

Customized G2Z-L 2nd from left, 6Z 5th from left and Z2 7th from the left

_MG_6667.jpg

Wow jp, I dont even know what to say about your collection. Big money! Nice.

Thanks for all the great pics and history lessons guys... Off to the marketplace I go!

Kestrel

Flashaholic
The following pics posed by Peite (in this thread) were what started me thinking about Z's during some of my CPF searches last year:
What I find very interesting is the occasional length of full-width aluminum body segment that is located between the grip ring and the tailcap. It seems like there were both body styles in the entire old Z line: 6Z, 9Z, 7Z, and 12ZM.

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Z series would be a lot more popular if it came in a type III finish, natural or black. I know I would probably own several, especially if they brought back the Z3.

Notice how the black C2's and C3's are not nearly as popular.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heh, don't know what he said, but I bet it must have been bad... @3:55AM he might have been drunk out of his gourd.

st_burt

Newly Enlightened
I'm a big fan of the Z2. Here's a picture of my two, along with a G2Z, which is also an excellent flashlight.

IMG_0031.jpg

Sorry about the the iPhone picture. The G2Z is on the left, in the middle is a bored and HA anodized Z2 body with Z44 and Z41, and on the right is a white Cerakote Z2.

I agree that the Z2 would probably be more popular on CPF if Surefire made an HA version.

Last edited:

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have to say that I MUCH prefer the Z series (with Malkoffs in them, of course!), over the C series for my use, which is with a handgun. The Z series does not require any "indexing" of the light, when you grab for it, which the C series does. I have 2 - C2's, but they pretty much get left in my "light box", while my Z2's and G2Z's (in the winter) get used all the time. So, if you USE the light for what it was MEANT for (with a handgun), the choice is pretty easy to me.

My .02 FWIW YMMV

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too prefer the grip on the Z2.. I would go so far as to say it's Surefire's most ergonomic design yet... Why they don't offer it in HA, I have no idea. That white cerakoted Z2 has me drooling... it's like a Stormtrooper's flashlight...