Any thoughts on this USB-powered RCR123/RCR2 charger?

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
So can I plug the charger into my computer via USB and charge my batteries through the USB when hooked up with my AC powered laptop?

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you sure this is the case? I am referring to the newest edition Xtar WPII which does have a USB port but it seems like output only to where you can power USB devices (with battery power of course) where the MP1 can only be powered through a USB cord. The WPII has a AC adapter and a car DC adapter. Seems weird they would do away with the most convenient part of the charger (the ability to charge while on your laptop). Correct me if I am wrong as I would like to be able to charge RCR123s at my desk while on the laptop.

fyrstormer

Banned
I am holding an MP2 in my hand. It has a USB "Mini-B" port, which is used for peripheral devices, not host devices. Power goes in, not out.

On a related note, I discovered that Sanyo makes 2xAA/AAA Eneloop charger that runs off a USB port as well, and has a built-in USB cord. I bought a couple of those as well. Now I can charge all the batteries I'm ever likely to use, from any device with a USB port on it.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MP2 is not the newest Xtar WPII.

1335588439718-1723620613.gif

4115ddd.jpg

I also have the Eneloop 2 bay USB charger for AA/AAA batteries (which is great, I own 2 of these) and was hoping the WPII was also the same kind of USB charger, but everything I've read and pics I have seen, it looks more like the USB is only to power external USB devices and not to charge the batteries itself.

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
Sorry, you lost me, I thought we were talking about the MP2, since that's what I posted about, and I thought that's what we were still talking about when you posted this:
So can I plug the charger into my computer via USB and charge my batteries through the USB when hooked up with my AC powered laptop?

Yes, it looks like the WP2 is for charging other devices using already-charged batteries.

Last edited:

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh ok, I thought you were posting about any USB powered RCR123 chargers initially. I did a google search for that myself, and your thread is what I found first. I saw the Xtar mentioned and then I found since your thread was posted the newest Xtar is the WPII where the MP1 and MP2 are both older models (possibly discontinued?).

Last edited: