Any word yet on Firefoxes FF5?

cchurchi

Enlightened
I just ordered a FF5! Really looking forward the the 100 watt output. I have an FF3 and FF4 that are just fantastic lights. I have used them both hundreds of times through the years. I take them out for night snowshoe hikes and fire them up when they're frozen solid with 0 issues.

Long ago i had a Wolf Eyes 24 watt HID that I used for night hikes but the ballast was always dying or the bulb would explode. That was interesting to see because what ever was in the bulb ate off the coating on the reflector in about 15 seconds. I was like NNOooo!

So what batteries would you guys recommend for the 100 watt draw of the FF5? I currently use Panasonic NCR18650 with 3400 mAh. Not sure they can handle that much current. Thanks!

Last edited:

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
The FF5 is a beast! You'll love it. I think you'll need higher drain batteries though. I use Sony VTC6 flat top cells and they fit and work perfectly.

I just ordered a FF5! Really looking forward the the 100 watt output. I have an FF3 and FF4 that are just fantastic lights. I have used them both hundreds of times through the years. I take the out for night snowshoe hikes and fire them up when their frozen solid with 0 issues.

Long ago i had a Wolf Eyes 24 watt HID that I used for night hikes but the ballast was always dying or the bulb would explode. That was interesting to see because what ever was in the bulb ate off the coating on the reflector in about 15 seconds. I was like NNOooo!

So what batteries would you guys recommend for the 100 watt draw of th FF5? I currently use Panasonic NCR18650 with 3400 mAh. Not sure they can handle that much current. Thanks!

PhotonMaster3

Newly Enlightened
I've been using my FF5 every night for a few months. Man do I love this thing... the massive wide beam is just gorgeous and seems to go on forever. My first HID light so I don't profess to be an expert but I'd take it over my Imalent MS18 in a heartbeat!

Can't wait for a 1,000 watt FF6 :)

Parker VH

Enlightened
So the link in post #5 is for Neals Gadgets? If I go directly to Neals Gadgets and do a search for Firefox the only thing that comes up are the accessories or am I missing something?

Parker VH

Enlightened
Thanks Bob. Just out of curiosity, why did you sell your FF5's? I value your opinion on these and other lights as you are very knowledgeable on the operation and function of HID lights.
Thanks for the link. Haven't decided if I'm going to order one or not.

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if there is a technical reason for not implementing a low mode, so that it has, say, 10W, 30W, and 100W. This would be a lot more practical, imho

BVH

Flashaholic
I have very little use for any of my lights other than my pocket-carry EDC. I wish it wasn't that way because I love using them. When the latest and greatest are introduced, I thoroughly enjoy picking one up just to see what it can do. A few hours playing and my needs are taken care of. Time to let them go to someone who will use them. Plus, when "your" used to being around the real heavy iron and seeing what they can do, the handhelds obviously don't compare in performance. That is a downside to having the heavy iron. It's more difficult to be impressed. I will say the FF5 is a great performer and for a very reasonable price even with no discount.

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if there is a technical reason for not implementing a low mode, so that it has, say, 10W, 30W, and 100W. This would be a lot more practical, imho

Yes there is, about 30-40 watts is the normal bottom end of this technology (depending on the bulb and electronics) with a bulb that could be run in the 70 to 100 Watt range. Can't reliably sustain an arc for long bulb life down below that. We make dual wattage ballasts and have played with tri power levels too. As an example it could be 40/60/80W. Philips and Osram have made 25 watts HID bulb products but you would not want to run it very much higher than 40 watts.

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes there is, about 30-40 watts is the normal bottom end of this technology (depending on the bulb and electronics) with a bulb that could be run in the 70 to 100 Watt range. Can't reliably sustain an arc for long bulb life down below that. We make dual wattage ballasts and have played with tri power levels too. As an example it could be 40/60/80W. Philips and Osram have made 25 watts HID bulb products but you would not want to run it very much higher than 40 watts.

I see, thank you.

I think that in this case I would like to see an LED/HID combo one day. Something that looks like manker mk39

Parker VH

Enlightened
So what do you have for your EDC light?

I have very little use for any of my lights other than my pocket-carry EDC. I wish it wasn't that way because I love using them. When the latest and greatest are introduced, I thoroughly enjoy picking one up just to see what it can do. A few hours playing and my needs are taken care of. Time to let them go to someone who will use them. Plus, when "your" used to being around the real heavy iron and seeing what they can do, the handhelds obviously don't compare in performance. That is a downside to having the heavy iron. It's more difficult to be impressed. I will say the FF5 is a great performer and for a very reasonable price even with no discount.

BVH

Flashaholic
It's been my edc for a few years so I think it's a 4-7's Mini123 with Turbo head by Vinh in Stainless. The 123 in the std and this version have been my EDC's since they came out years ago. I think this one does 1200 or 1500 Lumens but rarely use that level. The turbo head throws a very long beam this this size of light.

Parker VH

Enlightened
Did a quick search but can't seem to find anything on this light specifically so I assume it's pretty old. Always looking for a good EDC light.

It's been my edc for a few years so I think it's a 4-7's Mini123 with Turbo head by Vinh in Stainless. The 123 in the std and this version have been my EDC's since they came out years ago. I think this one does 1200 or 1500 Lumens but rarely use that level. The turbo head throws a very long beam this this size of light.

BVH

Flashaholic
Did a quick search but can't seem to find anything on this light specifically so I assume it's pretty old. Always looking for a good EDC light.

Vinhs mod:

https://skylumen.com/products/foursevens-mini-turbo-mk-iii-david-goliath?variant=30269019521047

Factory link:

https://darksucks.com/collections/foursevens/products/mini-turbo-mk-iii

Mine is the older version of the Goliath with White1 spec on Vinhs page. I've found over the many years that I don't care for a push button EDC. I like the twisty switch.

Last edited:

Parker VH

Enlightened
Thank you very much. Does this light have a decent combination of throw and coverage area? Not just a real tight beam pattern?

Vinhs mod:

https://skylumen.com/products/foursevens-mini-turbo-mk-iii-david-goliath?variant=30269019521047

Factory link:

https://darksucks.com/collections/foursevens/products/mini-turbo-mk-iii

Mine is the older version of the Goliath with White1 spec on Vinhs page. I've found over the many years that I don't care for a push button EDC. I like the twisty switch.

BVH

Flashaholic
I think there's good flood along with the prominent hot spot at distance. If you want more flood than throw, I'd get the non-turbo head and higher Lumen/less mcd led, I think it was 1200 Lumens IIRC.

Parker VH

Enlightened
Thanks Bob. I won't hijack this thread any more. Still deciding on buying the FF5.

Saul Good

Enlightened
I just received my FF5 today. I was excited to fire it up, but it seems to be DOA:( I put in some fresh VTC5Ds, the led lights up on the tailcap, but it won't turn on. Could I be missing something like a lockout function? I tried different cells and the extra carrier I got for it. Check battery polarity. Any suggestions are welcome. I also emailed Neal. I'm excited for this light! Thanks!