Anyone get their TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED upgrade for 3-6 cell Maglites?

SEMIJim

Enlightened
xiaowenzu said:
However, if Terralux comes out with a brighter LED, such as the one Malkoffdevices is using (~200 REAL lumens!) then I will buy it. As of current, the Terralux is only doing ~145 real Lumens.
Gene's mod employs an SSC P4. The TerraLUX module uses an SSC P4. The problem is neither the emitter nor the driver. The problem, as has been noted multiple times is that the TerraLUX has no serious heat-sinking, so they cannot drive the emitter to its fullest. Gene's mod, OTOH, is heat-sinked and the heat sink is coupled to the Mag's body, making the entire flashlight body part of the heat sink.

It has been asserted that a drop-in like the TerraLUX can't be efficiently heat-sinked. I think that's incorrect. I think what's really happening is the manufacturers of these drop-in modules have looked at the market and decided it won't bear the cost of what a properly designed drop-in module would be.

bullpup

Newly Enlightened
Re: Anyone get their TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED upgrade for 3-6 cell Maglites?

Here is a comparrision shot of the L2DCE VS the terralux upgrade. It is in a 3D mad running with 4C and a UCL lens. THe left is the L2 on turbo and the right is the MAG. THIs picture was at about one meter and underexposed by 2 units.
http://profile.imageshack.us/user/bullpup/images/detail/#258/6lxvsl2bei8.jpg

Last edited:

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Anyone get their TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED upgrade for 3-6 cell Maglites?

tvsjr said:
I receieved two 6EXs last night and immediately dropped one into my 3D Mag. I compared the new LED to three other lights... 2D Mag with older MagLED module, 3D Mag with newer MagLED module, and a Streamlight SL-20X.

Older vs newer magled module? Is there a difference?

ruralott

Newly Enlightened
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the UCL lens? What's benifit? And where can I get one? :laughing:

Thank you

bullpup

Newly Enlightened
IT is just a glass replacement lens for the MAGlite. The original lens was scratched up and the Terralux really hightlighted the scatches so I replaced it. It was reccomended by someone one this forum. I bought it from flashlightlens.com
ruralott said:
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the UCL lens? What's benifit? And where can I get one? :laughing:

Thank you

tvsjr

Newly Enlightened
Phaserburn said:
Older vs newer magled module? Is there a difference?

I don't claim to be an expert... but the older module is *considerably* dimmer than the newer one.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
tvsjr said:
I don't claim to be an expert... but the older module is *considerably* dimmer than the newer one.

You sure? I never heard anything like that before, not even here. Have they changed their LEDupgrade?

Cydonia

Enlightened
tvsjr said:
I receieved two 6EXs last night and immediately dropped one into my 3D Mag. I compared the new LED to three other lights... 2D Mag with older MagLED module, 3D Mag with newer MagLED module, and a Streamlight SL-20X.

Compared to the older MagLED/2D, the 6EX blows it away. Of course, so does my SF L2.
Compared to the newer MagLED/3D, the 6EX is noticably brighter. It's not massively brighter... but enough to be noticable. For target acquisition, I can get an extra 50ft. or so out of the 6EX.
Compared to the Streamlight, the two are almost equal, with the Streamlight being slightly brighter in the hotspot but having a less-exciting pattern.

I also noticed no significant heating issues with the TerraLUX after 30mins. runtime.

The 6EX is better than the MagLED, no question. Considering the pricing, I'd buy the 6EX over the MagLED any day. However, don't expect the 6EX to be MASSIVELY brighter than its OEM competitor. That said, it's still quite a competent light and will live in the truck along with my Surefire Fire Vulcan, Survivor LED, SureFire L2, etc.

I suspect my next purchase may be one of Gene43's custom MAGs.

Please try the new module in a 4 cell Mag. Then compare to a 3D MagLED...
I'm dying to get a handle on the 4 cell performance!
Then maybe the sinking feeling in my stomach will go away...
Should have got a Malkoff instead...ugh
:popcorn:

tvsjr

Newly Enlightened
Lobo said:
You sure? I never heard anything like that before, not even here. Have they changed their LEDupgrade?

I have no knowledge of their manufacturing changes. However, yes, I am quite sure that one is dimmer than the other...

tvsjr

Newly Enlightened
Cydonia said:
Please try the new module in a 4 cell Mag. Then compare to a 3D MagLED...
I'm dying to get a handle on the 4 cell performance!
Then maybe the sinking feeling in my stomach will go away...
Should have got a Malkoff instead...ugh
:popcorn:

Why? I don't want a 4-cell light... way too big. Even a 3D is bigger than the Streamlight that I'm used to carrying.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
tvsjr said:
I have no knowledge of their manufacturing changes. However, yes, I am quite sure that one is dimmer than the other...
I'm maybe asking the obvious now, but have you tried to swap the LEDs in your 2D Mag with your 3D Mag? Cause there is a visible difference in brightness if you increase the cells.

pilou

Enlightened
tvsjr said:

Could it just be the Luxeon lottery?

pilou

Enlightened

The bottom line for me is this: how much brighter is this module compared to the stock incandescent bulb in a 3D Mag?

I realize that there are other benefits too, such as longer runtimes, etc. But the Mag 3D body isn't all that practical anyway, except for clubbing someone :) So the upgrade funds could instead go towards new lights.

Cydonia

Enlightened

Lobo said:
I'm maybe asking the obvious now, but have you tried to swap the LEDs in your 2D Mag with your 3D Mag? Cause there is a visible difference in brightness if you increase the cells.

Ouch. Don't put a M*gLED 2D in the 3D it will fry. So I'm told anyway...

tvsjr said:
Why? I don't want a 4-cell light... way too big. Even a 3D is bigger than the Streamlight that I'm used to carrying.

The TerraLux module is significantly brighter on 4 cells light than 3. By how much? I'm still trying to find out. I've heard 20% brighter. The brightest stock m*gLED VS the brightest drop in available today, on 4 cells, for its max potential. That's all. (Also, all I have for comparison in my minds eye is a 3D m*gLED - so a beam shot comparison with 3D m*gLED and TerraLux on 4 cell will lay this question to rest once and for all. )

Gator762

Enlightened

I'm trying to decide on one of these too, more beamshots would be nice. At least with 4 cells for the higher output.

For my car, I like having a big light. For small I have my EDC light. There are other advantages besides light with a big honkin D-cell maglite. :)

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cydonia said:
Ouch. Don't put a M*gLED 2D in the 3D it will fry. So I'm told anyway...

LOL
SORRY ABOUT THAT! I FORGOT ABOUT THAT, SO DONT DO IT!!!!!
:ohgeez:
I was just thinking that the 3D version is britghter than the 2D version, but forgot that the 2D is not made for the 3D. So I dont think it's a newer version, just the 3D being brighter since it's... a 3D.
I have a recollection of someone using their 2DMagupgrade in a 3D, but it just worked for a couple of hours before burning out, IIRC.

Sorry again for the OT.
Carry on. :)

LiteBrite

Newly Enlightened
tvsjr said:

Put 4 C cells in your 3D Mag. Just flip the spring backwards so they fit. You should notice an increase in brightness and no need to buy a bigger light.

tvsjr

Newly Enlightened
LiteBrite said:
Put 4 C cells in your 3D Mag. Just flip the spring backwards so they fit. You should notice an increase in brightness and no need to buy a bigger light.

And a significant decrease in runtime, since D-cells are specced around 20Ah and C-cells around 8Ah. These lights are used for public safety work (fire/ems)... runtime is important. Not to mention, C cells have a significantly smaller diameter than Ds - the cells would rattle around.

Carabidae

Newly Enlightened

I just got mine today, since I dont have my 3aa to D adapters yet, I tried the 2D mag, and no dice, won't light. It does work though, in a mag 3d that wont stay on due to some broken internal part. Its about as bright as my p1d-ce in the 72 lumen mode. and thats with a UCL lens.

Matt Sutton

Newly Enlightened
Mine arrived today. I also installed a UCL lens. It is a fantasic combo! The spill is much better than the beamshots show. My 4D has been sitting in a box unused for years. It's now going to be my primary campsite and home emergency light.
I'm really looking forward to the 2-3 cell version.