Anyone have the SkyRC NC2500 charger?

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow. That's a bit of a design oversight. I get leery of a manufacturer that makes mistakes with the little details, like the spelling of "break-in" and the correct information to display upon completion of a cycle... It makes me wonder about how well they've paid attention to things in the more important unseen areas, like the PCB and circuit design, and what corners may have been cut. I have confidence in the Maha C9000. Not convinced about the NC2500. I'd love to see a teardown, pix etc.

Planz

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. I'll leave it at that for now and append image.
Also added measurement of internal resistance using multimeter and 1 Ohm external load.

I am not so lucky with my SKY 2500.
Rin for same battery was from 55-to75 mOm[/QUOTE]

I've edited my earlier post to indicate clearly the last measurement was made using a multimeter and not SKY 2500

Last edited:

lowks

Newly Enlightened
There is a new update to the iPhone app. Now we can set the trickle charge setting as well.

Power Me Up

Enlightened
Disclaimer: Since I've written the firmware for another charger/analyzer, some may feel that I'm biased with the following. Feel free to take a truck load or 2 of salt with this:

I received one of these chargers only a day or so ago and so far I'm not very impressed!

Discharge accuracy seems to be very poor on the unit I've received. It appears that the charger doesn't measure the actual current when either charging or discharging. Running a refresh/analyze on a set of 4 Eneloops that I recently took out of the packet gave discharge capacities of:

Repeating the test with a different set of 4 Eneloops gave the following discharge capacities:

On the second test, slot 3 gave a capacity that was 12.5% higher than slot 4 - far more variation than I've ever seen between new Eneloops! There's an obvious pattern above - comparing slot to slot between the 2 tests gives variations ranging from 0.05% to 0.65% - what I'd expect with Eneloops.

The current shown on the display and in the Android app never varies from the set current. I also did a test charge on a known high resistance cell to see how it would handle it. The charger reported that it was charging at the set rate of 1 amp, but the voltage only went up extremely slowly (from about 1.28V to 1.30V over the whole time) so it appears that it simply wasn't actually charging the cell. I left it to see what would happen and it finally stopped charging at 5 hours and about 5Ah showing on the screen.

Given all of the above, I think it's reasonable to conclude that the charger doesn't measure actual current and is also not very accurate with its discharge currents and hence discharge capacity results.

The other major complaint that I've got is the fan noise. As reported by others here - it's really loud and doesn't seem to be achieving much - I can't feel any air coming out of the fan - it feels like it's trying to suck air into the charger, but I can't feel warm air coming out anywhere. Temperatures are fairly warm here, but not so high that I would expect that it should need to be running most of the time. Charging a set of 4 AAA Eneloops at 400mA, it had the fan running quite often - I think it's quite concerning that it can't handle 16% of its peak load without needing to have the fan running! What's more, I left 4 cells in the charger after the last refresh and analyze above and even after everything had stopped for quite a few hours, the fan was still coming on intermittently!

I've since set the temperature control to 70 degrees and it hasn't run the fan since which is good, but I haven't tried doing a charge yet.

The Android app is also quite buggy - besides a number of quirks, it has force closed on me numerous times. The Bluetooth range seems to be quite poor as well. If I walk out my office holding the phone, it loses the connection after moving only a few meters from the doorway - the Bluetooth connection actually has less range than the fan noise - that's how loud it is!!!

Being able to view the charge/discharge curves on the phone is certainly a nice feature. It would be even better if the data could be saved out to somewhere for more thorough analysis - this could of course be done with a future upgrade.

Overall, I think that the NC2500 is a good idea, but it's just poorly implemented. There are also a few other minor problems that I've noticed that I haven't mentioned above.

At the moment, I'm considering selling this charger on Ebay and taking a loss. I'd be willing to overlook most of these problems, except for the inaccurate discharge results - in my opinion, a 12.5% variation is just unforgivable!

For anyone contemplating purchasing this charger, I'd recommend going for the Maha C9000 instead until something better becomes available. The C9000 isn't perfect, but it has far less problems than this charger...

Floating Spots

Enlightened
I definitely agree that the charging cycle doesn't measure true current and is time versus setting. As long as that current is reasonably well calibrated, I am OK with it.

Discharge seems to be measuring something. My channels 1-3 are fairly close to each other, while my channel 4 has ~5% error. However, they are finishing within minutes of each other. If this was simply timed, then the discharge current should be near identical.

Now the error itself is a real problem. One of the channels should not be this far out from the rest. I have not opened this up yet. I want to, but it's kind of hard to convince myself that I really want to take apart my brand new, expensive charger.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Norm

Retired Administrator
I have gone as deeply into the charger as you have, I can only comment that the IR readings are twice what they should be, bluetooth is fine up to about seven metres (iphone), the fan on mine run for short periods and doesn't worry me.

Norm

austinios

Newly Enlightened
"the IR readings are twice what they should be" ... does this mean if the IR reads 70degC, it could well be 140degC on the battery? That's hazardous.

Norm

Retired Administrator
No - he's talking about internal resistance.

I suspect that the figures are just around 35 milliohms higher than they should be rather than being a multiple.
That's what I'm seeing, which for my new Eneloops works out to be around double.

Norm

Floating Spots

Enlightened
My app just pulled own a new firmware. This must be decoupled from the actual application updates. Wish there was a change log.

Floating Spots

Enlightened
Never mind. I posted that the firmware did not go through the update process when the app updated on mine. Mine showed the correct version, so it was suggested that I just missed the update. It seems to have picked this connection to push the version of firmware that was already loaded.

lowks

Newly Enlightened
I wonder if the reason behind why the iPhone app does not push firmware updates is because of iPhone's disabled Bluetooth capabilities. If that be the case then the very least it should have informed that there was a firmware upgrade.

linc

Newly Enlightened
Hello to everyone on this thread

I have had a skyRC NC2500 for 3 weeks now and have been using it nonstop.
At the moment I am cycling 4 brand new Eneloops , reinserting them between each
charge/discharge too get a new internal resistance reading each time. In a fully charged
state they all read between 50-52 milliohms and in a discharged state they all read between 82-85 milliohms.
on some older and very well used Eneloops I'm getting 60-80 charged 80-140 discharged.
I don't seem to be getting the discrepancy in readings between channels that some people here are as far
a mah readings are concerned but I wonder if that's because I've only used new/good cells so far?
what sort of milliohm readings are you guys getting?
On a side note I am using an iPod touch 4 with a cracked glass (annoyingly the Bluetooth doesn't seem to
work on my good iPod touch 4) with my skyRC NC500 and I've had no problems as of yet. so far it's pushed 1
firmware update on 17/11/2013. That fixed the problem of the trickle charge current automatically going
back to off no matter what you set it on. Hopefully it now show's DISCHARG capacity after breakin mode is
complete even If it only showed it on the charger screen! I will update on that!

Norm

Retired Administrator
Just checked my phone, I hadn't realized it had already updated.

10957140406_2073151cb9.jpg
10957285513_a3f7346b77.jpg

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would even recommend this procedure for the Maha MH-C9000 for both AAA and AA sizes.

1use.jpg

German manual: http://www.elv-downloads.de/Assets/Produkte/11/1131/113171/Downloads/113171_ladegeraet.um.pdf
Firmware d/l: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.technoline2.smartcharge

kudos to myself. i couldn't remember if i had included the above note in my instructions for the nc2500. today i am playing with my C9000 and realizing how easy it is to insert AA cells single-handed with head(+) first but it does inflict wear and tear on the cells butt(-).

So, on the C9000, there is also nothing wrong with 2-hands cell insertion with tail(-) first, and 2-hands cell removal with head(+) first.

i really wrote beautiful instructions. :huh:

Last edited:

AleXis6

Newly Enlightened

Repeating the test with a different set of 4 Eneloops gave the following discharge capacities:

On the second test, slot 3 gave a capacity that was 12.5% higher than slot 4 - far more variation than .
I have similar differences. I have writent to support about the issue and asked them how to set oe calibrate the equal sensitivity for all slots.
They answered that from their opinion it is normal differences and not need to correct anything.
Strange - very expensive device, but accuracy is significantly lower than LaCrosse or Maha.

Last edited:

Power Me Up

Enlightened
I have similar differences. I have writent to support about the issue and asked them how to set oe calibrate the equal sensitivity for all slots.
They answered that from their opinion it is normal differences and not need to correct anything.
Strange - very expensive device, but accuracy is significantly lower than LaCrosse or Maha.

That's a pathetic (and disappointing) response.

I haven't bothered contacting them myself since I figured that they'd expect me to send it back to Hong Kong and it wasn't worth paying for the shipping cost. There's no real reason why they couldn't do something in firmware if this is a consistent problem affecting a lot of units though.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
New firmware available since Dec 3rd, did you guys notice? Version 0.9.8