Anyone knows what is 4sevens ATOM ?

tjswarbrick

Enlightened
Now you guys are making me want one specifically for working on the stereo gear mounted in my trunk. SunDrop works pretty well for it, but a mule with a magnet could be ideal!
And a 6 lumen mule headlamp should be perfect for reading outdoors or with the lights off.

Now, can anyone explain why the SS one is named AL?

Last edited:

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm surprised at the criticisms of the mule effect. I own a Preon 0 and the titanium version, i.e. the AAA Atom, which have the same beam profile as the new 123 Atom, with a lo of about .5 lumens and a high of 35-40 lumens.

I think both levels are *incredibly* useful!

Of course they are not for outdoor or trail use. But for indoors, they are great.

With dark-adapted eyes, the .5 lumen mule is perfect for walking around the house. You can see everything, and because the light is so diffuse, you never lose your dark-adaption.

The virtue of this kind of light-dispersion is that 1) everything within your peripheral vision is illuminated, but 2) the light doesn't seem to be coming from anywhere in particular. You don't see any *light*, you just see all of the *objects*, evenly illuminated.

I think that the brighter, 123 version, will be great for a range of indoor uses--anybody who is working on wiring a junction-box, or putting insulation into an attic, or upside down in a crawl-space, will find it a perfect headlamp.

Yeah, it's a different experience from a thrower. Certainly not for every environment or every function. Maybe not for every user. But I'd strongly recommend that every user try it some time--I think you really get to experience a different way of seeing.

nightshade

Enlightened
I am not knocking the product line. Four sevens has several thousand dollars from my personal account. I am a fan boy. Period. This product is not something I want to use in a unfamiliar environment, even indoors. I am familiar with the mule concept. This is a well built, purpose built, niche product, imho. There will be glowing reviews of this product from the typical internet reviews. It simply is not for my use in my environment.

rdrfronty

Enlightened
I got my Atom today. I personally am pretty impressed. I did know basically what to expect since I own a Preon 0 also. This Atom is one floody little beast. I was always impressed with the wide flood of the Preon 0. It was a little weak, but still cool. The Preon 0 has roughly a 1 to 2 distance to flood ratio. Meaning get 1 ft from the wall and it lights up about 2ft. Well the Atom kills it in that aspect. I actually measured it at just over 1 to 4 distance to flood ratio. So 1 ft from the wall, lights up over a 4 ft circle. Pretty cool actually. Very different.
As for power - it's pretty decent actually. I stuck the Atom on a ceiling vent (gotta love those magnets) 8ft high. With the light on its 6 lumen low, it literal lights up an entire 16ft by 16ft room with a nice soft glow. About like a candle would, except everywhere in the room, not just one area.
Then I tried shooting it outside. Out a window 12ft, the little bugger lights up my entire back yard and part of all my neighbors on all sides. You can even see the low level everywhere, but high level does a pretty darn good job.
This is a VERY cool light for doing its intended job. It's an area light, not spotter. Heck my Mini X looked like a dedomed xpg2 compared to this light. The Atom has absolutely no spot, even up close. But that means no wasted lux on a hot spot - all the power is distributed evenly everywhere.
Great job 4sevens !

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can someone comment on the two stage UI where you twist for low and twist more for high? The Thrunite Ti has such a UI using a double tab positive terminal contact that looks quite flimsy and prone to failure - was wondering if this system is the same or more robust. Thanks.

gunga

Flashaholic
I can't tell by looking at it, I think this system could be more robust but it's all shrouded. I'll have to take a closer look at some point. Take some pix.

edpmis02

Enlightened
May wait for a AA version. Just looks too small for my hands. My Fenix E05 is very useful. but would prefer a high that goes for 4-6 hours.

Last edited:

Gadgetman7

Enlightened
I've carried it for a couple of days. Nice area light, especially for working in close areas.

Unfortunately it doesn't really work for more than 10 feet or so. I knew the beam pattern was wide but the light just disperses too quickly. For the AAA Atom that's fine but it was always a backup. I'll have to stick with either the Mini or a Peak for my primary. Unless you do a lot of close up work I'd suggest skipping this one and getting the AAA version or possibly the AA one.

Sent from Tracy Island

nbp

Flashaholic
Feel free to send any unusable Atoms to me to play with. I like Mules. :huh:

stevieo

Newly Enlightened
My Atom 123 & headband arrived today. I am pleasantly surprised. Nice flood beam, strong magnet holds well in head light socket. Very light weight comfortable headlamp, articulating socket and very usable for up close work which was my sole purpose for this purchase & it does it well.

Tetsujin 140.6

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone had problems with the rubber seal breaking already?

I'm already on my third one as the first two tore right away. Is this a defect in the light or operator error?

rdrfronty

Enlightened
My first one broke after 1 day. But since has been ok after lubing the new one. It is little stiff though. Hopefully the orings will hold up ok.

Trevilux

Enlightened
Some Pics, about my Foursevens Atom AL

WuzpdV1.jpg

lCcENYJ.jpg

rYsOl2g.jpg

vAYICmh.jpg

owZrzdL.jpg

48KDpwH.jpg

I have it for 3 days ago. Great flooder in a mini size.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi All,

I have an A0, a very nice limited edition titanium Atom. I have several pictures and beam shots I will be posting soon. The Atom A0 using the XP-G2 vs the Preon P0 using the XP-E, has a slight wider and brighter/warmer beam due to the emitter bin they chose :thumbsup:.

I just got the Atom AL Headlamp Kit. I am exploring this great Headlamp holder using the Atom AL, a single CR123 cell Stainless Steel light, the A0/P0, and all the compatitable Mini series lights.

The ATOM series of lights feature a reflectorless emitter which excels greatly over previous FOURSEVENS lights to date(except P0) for up close task lighting with it's hotspotless mule style beam pattern. Currently available(@Foursevens Website) in the "AL" single CR123 Stainless Steel version. There are plans to release this light in "AA" and "CR2" versions soon. I am hoping that FOURSEVENS will also re-release the Preon P0 as the Atom A0(A1?)-SS. The XP-G2 emitter, IMO, is a better choice than the XP-E emitter for better tint, brightness, and slight difference in beam profile.

Being a fan of neutral tinted lights, I have noticed that the newer Cree series 2 XM-L & XP-G, and also the recent XP-E's tint bins of the standard FOURSEVENS offered CW tinted lights has improved. The Limited Edition Atom(Preon)A0 Titaniium is sold out on the FOURSEVENS site. There are several FOURSEVENS dealers that still have some stock left.

GL

Last edited:

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Interesting design on the light. I haven't purchased any 4Sevens lights as all since I'm not a fan of their designs overall - but that's personal preference of course. But, I was intrigued when I saw this on the Illuminationsupply website and I very much like the concept with the small form-factor, R/CR123 battery and simple UI. The floody output and GITD 'reflector' is interesting and is same as my 502d Zebralight which I was pleasantly surprised to find how useful it is for close-up work and also for camping / night bike trips where I was either cooking a meal or setting up my bike gear at the trailhead on night rides. That said, 135 degrees is really wide.

For a keychain light, I'm hesitating. For those who have them, I want to hear more about your experiences with this light as your EDC... Is it useful for some daily tasks? How's the size of the light when it's in your pocket for the day? Any quarks that you notice? Is the magnet attachment at all useful? How much of an impact is it if you carry this in your pocket with your keys?

Last edited:

Trevilux

Enlightened
I am very interested in the Atom with AA batteries.

Here compares with Sipik SK68 in flood.
sequence: Control - Sk68 - Atom AL

HASNVEK.gif

Good combination with Atom HeadBand Kit

jsNX1ez.gif

Abu1XWJ.jpg

rje58

Enlightened
Great photos! Thanks - I am waiting to get the Atom in CR2 format.

I am very interested in the Atom with AA batteries.

Here compares with Sipik SK68 in flood.
sequence: Control - Sk68 - Atom AL

Good combination with Atom HeadBand Kit

Latest posts