Anyone Seen This? Fully Charged, But Lights Don't Come On.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is exactly correct. Even the old-school passive VOMs might have an input impedance in the 20,000 ohms per volt range, which is still not low enough to produce a valid test for a batter with high internal resistance.

20K ohms / volt VOMs. Another old sparky guy, no doubt:)

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
My go-to VOM at the time was the venerable Simpson 260. I troubleshot a lot of things with that device. It was rock solid and built like a tank. :)
In that day, it was most likely either that, or a Triplett 630. I preferred the 260. Those things are still in use today, and very handy in particular situations. I still have a smaller Triplett (310?) around myself. They (the 260s) were used at my last job not long ago, right along side Fluke 87s & 289s and such). Besides some things being optimal with a true analog movement, the very quality we mentioned is still valued, certainly in industrial and some other environments, where what I might call 'ghost' potentials/voltages are around, and a meter with a bit of loading really helps sort things out.

Yep, another ol' sparky guy, for sure. Takes one to know one, I guess. It's good to know there's a few around here, for when I have trouble figuring something out!:)

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
In that day, it was most likely either that, or a Triplett 630. I preferred the 260. Those things are still in use today, and very handy in particular situations. I still have a smaller Triplett (310?) around myself. They (the 260s) were used at my last job not long ago, right along side Fluke 87s & 289s and such). Besides some things being optimal with a true analog movement, the very quality we mentioned is still valued, certainly in industrial and some other environments, where what I might call 'ghost' potentials/voltages are around, and a meter with a bit of loading really helps sort things out.

Yep, another ol' sparky guy, for sure. Takes one to know one, I guess. It's good to know there's a few around here, for when I have trouble figuring something out!:)
I'm mostly a low voltage person myself, although I appreciate your comments nonetheless. Yes the Fluke instruments are good also.

Back when I ordered my Simpson 260 I made sure I got the version with the mirror in the display to be able to rule out any parallax errors in my readings. One of the quirks of true analog meters.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm mostly a low voltage person myself, although I appreciate your comments nonetheless. Yes the Fluke instruments are good also.

Back when I ordered my Simpson 260 I made sure I got the version with the mirror in the display to be able to rule out any parallax errors in my readings. One of the quirks of true analog meters.
The mirrored scale is the thing to have for sure. My experience is probably at least 2/3 communications / low voltage, and maybe 1/3 industrial / high and low voltage (I've gotten around), so most of my background is probably in line with yours. Don't worry, when I need help with something, it's more likely to be in the low voltage realm, so I'll still be pestering you!

Cheers!

Last edited:

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
So,....for the sake of interest, this is what I use to test a battery:

RadioShack AC Ammeter Probe Analog Multimeter, 12 Range. I move the switch to DCV, 15, and read the AC15V readout.

Also,...I dropped the cell off at Batteries Plus, yesterday.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
So,....for the sake of interest, this is what I use to test a battery:

RadioShack AC Ammeter Probe Analog Multimeter, 12 Range. I move the switch to DCV, 15, and read the AC15V readout.

Also,...I dropped the cell off at Batteries Plus, yesterday.
Is the meter a model 22-602?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Yes, in the lower left corner, it says that.
Thanks. I believe that unit is 2000 ohms/volt. Still too high to get a good load test from a battery with internal resistance, which explains your results. Most VOMs are good at a lot of things, just not battery testing. :)

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
As to gettting rid of the suspicious cell -- find a legitimate recycler, don't just bin it.

Google lithium battery trash fire for pictures of what happens when these things fail in a dump truck load or bin.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
My local Batteries Plus takes them.

Are alkaline batteries good to just trash or also given to Batteries Plus?

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
As to gettting rid of the suspicious cell -- find a legitimate recycler, don't just bin it.

Google lithium battery trash fire for pictures of what happens when these things fail in a dump truck load or bin.
Not long ago, a friend witnessed one of those 2-wheeled platform things you can scoot around on (forgot what they call them) put out for garbage pickup. Electric, obviously with rechargeable battery. He thought to run out and rescue it but was not quick enough. Garbage truck compacted the load, looks like the battery got crushed and started a fire in the load. Not a pretty scene!

Dave

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
My local Batteries Plus takes them.

Are alkaline batteries good to just trash or also given to Batteries Plus?
If Battery Plus doesn't take them, hopefully other places should: other retail stores (here HD does), or public places (here the public libraries and other city buildings open to public collect them). I am in a different jurisdiction (read: country) but similar should be available.

Dave

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Not sure about Canada. But America has plenty of recycling centers that will take them.