Apparently some people are not flashaholics

lightwater

Newly Enlightened
She replied it worked well for about a month and then the battery died and she never bought new ones so she had been using candles! :ohgeez: :shakehead

Changing a battery is too technical!

Similar issues here. Lighting a candle is just less technical!

squaat

Newly Enlightened
I've gifted many a flash light to friends and family. Recently some to those doing long multi-week road trips. I do wonder what happens to them. I do ask when I see them again, but the response is more of a cursory "yes it was handy".

I always get annoyed at my father in law. He is the owner of a L1D, but I always see him searching for things with a crappy $2 2AA job. Even asked me to find an LED drop in that would work in it. I think he thinks the L1D is too nice to use and potentially drop (The thing looks like it is hardly used)

Quest4fire

Enlightened
I believe a key to most women taking more interest in flashlights is appropriate aesthetics. For instance, if a flashlight were the same shape, size, color/finish etc, as other items women commonly use or are familiar with (lipstick/gloss, mascara, etc), or excessively blingy (Gaudy colors, pastels, crystals or rhinestones added). Black just doesn't seem to appeal to most women unless it's a slinky little dress.
Case in point. A while back a flashlight I had ordered arrived in the mail, so I showed it to my wife. Now normally when I have worked hard or spent a long time modding a light or one comes in the mail and I show it to her, she shows a polite but unenthusiastic interest: "Wow that's bright" or "How long did it take you to make that one?" I removed the slender, polished stainless steel AAA beauty from it's box and her eyes got that look she normally gets in the jewelry store. I twirled it around by the lanyard and the light sparkled from it's surface. "What are you going to do with that?" she said, feigning disinterest. I replied, "I was thinking about giving it to you for....". Before I could finish my sentence my wife had snatched it from my hand went to put it in her bedside table drawer after clicking it off and on a couple of times. That flashlight probably gets as much use as any light in our house.
I don't think it's flashlights so much as gadgets/tech stuff in general that women are disinterested in. We must be crafty and inventive if we hope to influence the girls!

Last edited:

jk037

Newly Enlightened
I gave my girlfriend one of the surprisingly decent little 1xAA LED lights that crop up on Fleabay for about £1.30 each (as an example, fleabay item number
300715030708)
. She popped it in her handbag and forgot about it.

Then a few months later we went for a walk at dusk, so I took my Quark Mini AA and gave her the choice of my other lights; she chose my Black Cat HM-01 as she liked the red finish and the bright beam it produces. "Ah", thought I, "if I give her this she might actually use it!". So that became her light, and into the handbag of doom it went.

The next time I saw that poor little light it had spent several months living in the bottom of that ****ing handbag with a completely drained Duracell inside. Once the NiMH cell I'd left in it had run down, she'd just replaced it with the Duracell (I found that dischargd NiMH cell, fortunately it would still take a charge) and carried on. Then when the Duracell died, the light just got forgotten about. So I got to spend an "enjoyable" half an hour or so disassembling the HM-01, forcing the ruined and thoroughly siezed-in battery out using a hammer and drift, sanding all the hardened alkaline vomit out of the tube, cleaning up all the contacts, disassembling and cleaning the tailswitch...

The HM-01 lived to tell the tale, although minus most of the anodising on the inner surface of the tube. It is now in the "JK037 Hospice for Abused Flashlights", aka the glovebox of my Passat.

The girlfriend has the £1.30 Fleabay light back. Just asked her where it is: "It's in my old handbag in the wardrobe". When was it last used? "Don't know, maybe in winter?". Ah. So anywhere between 3 and 6 months ago, then. I didn't even bother asking when it last had a battery, as I probably won't like the answer!

I'm off to find it. Wonder how nasty a state it'll be in? Stay tuned. There's probably a moral to this story somewhere. :shakehead

squaat

Newly Enlightened
I believe a key to most women taking more interest in flashlights is appropriate aesthetics. For instance, if a flashlight were the same shape, size, color/finish etc, as other items women commonly use or are familiar with (lipstick/gloss, mascara, etc), or excessively blingy (Gaudy colors, pastels, crystals or rhinestones added). Black just doesn't seem to appeal to most women unless it's a slinky little dress. .....
We must be crafty and inventive if we hope to influence the girls!

+1 olive drab and black are definitely not for most girls. Heck even silver finishes are sometimes not enough. I've had a truckload of girls who actually wanted a thrunite ti in the redish pink color. The green ti I gave my wife was the first time she actually looked happy to get a flashlight, and my daughter loves her purple ITP a3.

Most of the crappy flashlights that my friends have were chosen because the look good. The are often unreliable and not very bright but they look "nice"

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe a key to most women taking more interest in flashlights is appropriate aesthetics. For instance, if a flashlight were the same shape, size, color/finish etc, as other items women commonly use or are familiar with (lipstick/gloss, mascara, etc), or excessively blingy (Gaudy colors, pastels, crystals or rhinestones added). Black just doesn't seem to appeal to most women unless it's a slinky little dress.
Case in point. A while back a flashlight I had ordered arrived in the mail, so I showed it to my wife. Now normally when I have worked hard or spent a long time modding a light or one comes in the mail and I show it to her, she shows a polite but unenthusiastic interest: "Wow that's bright" or "How long did it take you to make that one?" I removed the slender, polished stainless steel AAA beauty from it's box and her eyes got that look she normally gets in the jewelry store. I twirled it around by the lanyard and the light sparkled from it's surface. "What are you going to do with that?" she said, feigning disinterest. I replied, "I was thinking about giving it to you for....". Before I could finish my sentence my wife had snatched it from my hand went to put it in her bedside table drawer after clicking it off and on a couple of times. That flashlight probably gets as much use as any light in our house.
I don't think it's flashlights so much as gadgets/tech stuff in general that women are disinterested in. We must be crafty and inventive if we hope to influence the girls!

...and then, we could just not give a damn and let them stick to their diamonds 'n stuff.

Of course, there is the small matter of flashlight purchasing approval where the approval rate
prolly would be higher IF they were flashaholics too...

HtR

Newly Enlightened
She replied it worked well for about a month and then the battery died and she never bought new ones so she had been using candles! :ohgeez: :shakehead

I could not believe it. I didn't tell her that was a $57 flashlight and that I specifically got the 1xAA for her so it would be as cheap and easy as possible to power it and that I was a little disappointed that it got relegated to the junk drawer and that if she didn't want it I'd take it back. I didn't say any of those things. Maybe she'll come around still.

Apparently some people just aren't flashaholics. :sigh:

LOL

I guess that is what happens when casting pearls before swines.

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
The easy way is to give people a £1 single mode single AA torch ... Put a Lithium primary cell in it and it will last them for many years ... My Lithiums are dated 2023 ... Surely that is good enough for any "non-believer"... It will always switch on even well after 2023 ... If the person is very special to you , then you could even go for a £2 or £3 torch.

jk037

Newly Enlightened
I found my girlfriend's little torch. It was in the bottom of one of her many, many handbags, and contained an out-of-date Duracell that had managed not to leak, and even had enough left in it to power the LED up!

New battery installed and it's back in her "everyday" bag where it will probably remain unused until the new battery goes out of date. Still, I feel better for her at least having a torch with her, even if she never actually uses it...

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found my girlfriend's little torch. It was in the bottom of one of her many, many handbags, and contained an out-of-date Duracell that had managed not to leak, and even had enough left in it to power the LED up!

New battery installed and it's back in her "everyday" bag where it will probably remain unused until the new battery goes out of date. Still, I feel better for her at least having a torch with her, even if she never actually uses it...
If you put a Lithium primary battery in , it will still be OK in at least ten years time ... The battery will last so long that the torch could be passed on to your next girlfriend , then the next , then the next , etc. etc ...
That is really economical ...
evilgrin07.gif

Quest4fire

Enlightened
Some friends from Colorado were visiting the other day that I haven't seen in years. During casual conversation about hobbies and "What do you like to do" stuff I "Came out of the

closet", so to speak. Explaining that I enjoyed collecting, building and modding flashlights, the wife said, "Gosh, I never would have imagined you were like that." After an comfortable

silence I confidently replied that I did have a geek streak about a mile wide! I think she was amused.:shrug: