Arc-AAA Neck Carry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
The pen company YAFA makes a neck cord pen sold at Office Depot. It uses a nylon coated steel cable connected with two rare earth magnets in a breakaway latch. It could be hijacked and converted to use with a small light. It comes apart easily enough but doesn't seem to be weak and fall apart at the wrong times.

It may even have a threaded end on the cap of the pen to fit in a Peak light with little or no alteration. Hmmmmm.......... a plan emerges............

If I wasn't too lazy to open my toolkit and look for the thing. :p

Last edited:

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trivergata,
Are you still making them? and how much are they?

Thank you
Doug

trivergata said:
I was making a kydex neck holster for awhile;

People seemed to like them - you can put the light in head first to protect it, or tail first to let it hang hands free. They just snap in to hold them in place, but stay tight enough that even with jumping and running, it stays tight.

Josh

mridude

Newly Enlightened
There was a posting about this about a year or so ago. Someone had purchased reflective/glow-in-the-dark (green)/ tent cord.
I purchased this cord. i will post tomarrow the specs and name of the cord when I locate the package, plenty left! I've given Arc and Gerber AA lights as gifts and put them on these cords.
As far as the Break-Away feature that Peter has just pointed out...that too was addressed.
Slide two pieces of shrink tubing over one end. Melt (Blob-up) both ends of the cord a bit.Let cool down. Slide the shrink tubing over the Blobs. (You really do need to let the ends cool or the tubing shrinks too soon). Heat treat the shrink tubing.......a safety break-away on your cord!
I didn't invent this...this is in the Forums here somewhere.
My family thought I bought them this way! The glow in the dark helps locate the light after the lights go down and the reflective part works quite well and adds a little safety to the wearers.
Just knotting it off IS dangerous, as Peter G. has mentioned. I'll give the details later tonight!
I hope this helps. Sternum location works for me.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Thanks again guys. It appears that there are many options available. That's good to know. It's just a matter of choicing the best option for each particular situation.

jdriller

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is another break-away DIY. Put a knot in each end, or melt a nub on each end of the cord. Get a very small oring (ID 1/8 or 3/16 or test to suit) and put it around both knots or nubs. Works great, just test the oring size for break-away strength.

avusblue

Enlightened
These are all great suggestions. I can also recommend another one . . . at your local Walgreens or CVS check out the "medic-alert" necklaces. The type holding a metal tag that folks wear if they have a medication allergy or diabetes, etc. They have very high quality small bore stainless steel chains that just look and feel better than the ball-chain style. (Those always remind me of the pull cords for overhead light fixtures.)

And Nascar . . . WELCOME BACK!

Cheers,

Dave

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
avusblue said:
These are all great suggestions. I can also recommend another one . . . at your local Walgreens or CVS check out the "medic-alert" necklaces. The type holding a metal tag that folks wear if they have a medication allergy or diabetes, etc. They have very high quality small bore stainless steel chains that just look and feel better than the ball-chain style.
That is a great idea!

mridude

Newly Enlightened
I've noticed that nobody has refered to the stainless steel ball chain as "Toilet Bowl Chain".....I wonder why?
Now that we have covered the appropriate chain/cord thing....how about ideas for a good, comfortable, reliable, quick release system to put on that cord or chain.
I'm thinking something that stays on the cord, not the light. I've seen some of these quick release holsters on this Forum. What are they, where are they, $?.....and how reliable are they.
I once had a small boot knife that clicked into a sheath upside down...for a quick draw I assume.....I lost it within a week....

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
mridude said:
...Now that we have covered the appropriate chain/cord thing....how about ideas for a good, comfortable, reliable, quick release system to put on that cord or chain...

Everyone will have there own ideas on this, tempered by their own experience and situation. Here's mine. YMMV.

Sub_Umbra said:
Finding a good breakaway neck lanyard is quite a bit more complicated than most users imagine.

First of all, the 'weak link' part must be located on the lanyard in such a way that when gravity pulls the light into it's normal hanging position the weak part will be right at the center of the back of your neck or very close to it. Any so-called breakaway lanyard that has the weak link out near the light will be nearly worthless from a safety point of view. It's easy to see that if whatever sucks up your light grabs any slack in the lanyard before straining the weak link to the breaking point it may very well have a death grip on your lanyard way beyond any point that will break before causing death or serious injury to the user.

Many of the friction approaches (like heat shrink tubing, for example) are fatally flawed because they are inconsistent. One heat shrink joint may offer just the resistance you wanted while the other may be too lose. One or both of the joints may become too lose as time goes on since the joint is based only on friction. It should also be noted that in many circumstances, loss of your light because of a faulty breakaway link may be just as hazardous as the choking threat of a standard lanyard.

In my experience there are really only two viable approaches to this problem:

• The most straightforward and probably safest tack would be TonkinWarrior's advice -- that would be to make the entire lanyard out of a material that does not have the strength to do great injury in case of a mishap -- like bead chain. I think that general strategy is probably the safest and most fool-resistant.
  • Under some very demanding conditions where abrasion and wear are a problem a weak link in a heavier lanyard may be all that will work. In that case a weak link of known strength must be attached in such a way that the joints will not lose much of their strength with time and use. In most cases sewing a weak link of known strength into a heavier lanyard will be very stable over the long haul. Remember that sewing or nearly any means of attaching the link will usually bring the breaking strength of the link below it's normal rating.

Breakaway lanyards should be periodically tested throughout their lives to assure that they are still able to hold your light so it will be there when you need it.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
parnass said:
There are a couple of styles of safety lanyards shown here:

http://www.umei.com/lanyard-m5.htm

One of them uses Velcro.

Those are interesting but note that the seller mentions at the top of the page that those lanyards are primarily designed for use in factories. That is to their credit.

Any given lanyard will only be safe if it is designed to meet the requirements of the user's activity. For example, if one of the friction links on that page lets go because of wear at some time when it shouldn't on the factory floor it's probably not a big deal. The user may just pick it up and re-attach it. On the other hand, if the same thing happened to the worn friction link on a a cave explorer's backup light at the wrong time -- he would be dead. The same could be true in any of many activities where the user may not be able to just stop and pick up his light or even find it. (mountaineers, sailors, etc) If the link fails without the user noticing that the light is gone right away it could be very serious in many other situations.

I think that it's pretty neat that the vender makes a use statement about his products. Pretty cool stuff.

Last edited:

mridude

Newly Enlightened
Good point about the location of friction, ie: shrink tubing breakaways. I thought about this when I was making my 'gifts'. If they sit on the back of a bare neck, would they be uncomfortable? Maybe two or three shrink tube breakaway points of equal distance around the cord may be a good idea. The overall problem is will you lose your light with everyday normal wear and tear?

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
mridude said:
...I thought about this when I was making my 'gifts'. If they sit on the back of a bare neck, would they be uncomfortable?
Yes. It's one of the things that generally puts me off about them. I have had no comfort problems with bead chain -- but then, I'm not very hairy. :D

The way most use them moots most of the issues I've raised. Old habits...

colubrid

Enlightened
CARNAL1 said:
I use a Chisco Neck Lanyard from BrightGuy. They work very well. It hangs down right around the top of the Breastbone. It also has a quick release on it so that you can remove the light without removing the whole lanyard. Here is a link, I hope this works.

http://www.brightguy.com/detail.php?Sku=CHI111088

Happy Dark Trails

But the safety reconnecting breakaway will not break in an emergency. Will it?

Does anyone know where I can buy a stainless stell chain? It seems to me this type of chain will break more easily than a lanyard. And I don't mean the toilet/fan type. I went to Walmart jewerly debt and they only had sterling silver chains. No SS.

simbad

Enlightened
Sometimes I carry mine with this chromed brass ball chain and Energizer Lithium AAA batteries, very comfortable and safe.
BallChain-ArcAAA-P.jpg

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
colubrid said:
But the safety reconnecting breakaway will not break in an emergency. Will it?

Sure it will. It breaks away and reconnects with any moderate force. In any kind of emergency it would break away before any injury would occur, yet it remains secure under any normal usage, and reconnects easily. I've got several of these myself, and use them occasionally, but they are a little bulkier and don't look as nice as my titanium chain.

-Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.