Arc-AAA Neck Carry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prototype3a

Newly Enlightened
All the silly officers onboard my sub wear stopwatches all the time and they have a bit of rubberband tied into the neck straps so I suppose if they get it caught on something it won't rip their heads off... immediately ;) I'm gonna need to figure out something to use for our up coming deployment. On previous underways I just left my AAA on my keychain but I don't really have much use for keys on a long underway such as deployment.

TENMMIKE

Enlightened
Hello im new here but id like to throw my 2 cents in
this is what we used to do in the army , 1. you get your para 550 chord and the ball link chain,
2 remove the threads from the inside of the 550 cord so that all you have is the nylon outter shell.

3.drop the ball chain down through the 550 outter shell .

4. viola you got a nice comfortable and break away laynard all in one.

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a lanyard to carry the AAA, of the type used for neck-carry of cell phones.
The light ends up at end of brestbone, and the lanyard has a quick-detach device to separate the light from it, if necessary.

Anthony

fleegs

Enlightened
I use a strong nylon thread. Does not really take into account the break away theory. It is tested to 100 lbs load or something. But I wear it under my shirt (great in winter, pulls hair in summer), so my shirt would have to get stuck before the light would.

I use to wear it long enough to rest on my brest bone but discovered when I got in the car, the seat belt would come across right where the light was located. So I made it a little longer to get it out from under the seat belt. Like right below my breast bone.

I am really glad to see you posting again.

Do you own a L0P yet?

rob

Last edited:

simbad

Enlightened
I've tried what TENMMIKE said above about the paracord "stuffed" with a ball chain and this is what I got, a nice smooth and light breakaway lanyard with no visible ends, I've just burn the ends with a lighter.
Good idea TENMMIKE. Thanks
goodjob.gif

Arclanyard.jpg

bearhunter

Newly Enlightened
trivergata said:
I was making a kydex neck holster for awhile;

People seemed to like them - you can put the light in head first to protect it, or tail first to let it hang hands free. They just snap in to hold them in place, but stay tight enough that even with jumping and running, it stays tight.

Josh
I have one of these and they are GREAT

TENMMIKE

Enlightened
simbad said:
I've tried what TENMMIKE said above about the paracord "stuffed" with a ball chain and this is what I got, a nice smooth and light breakaway lanyard with no visible ends, I've just burn the ends with a lighter.
Good idea TENMMIKE. Thanks
goodjob.gif

Arclanyard.jpg
WELL THANKS. BUT IN ORDER FOR IT TO BE A REAL BREAK AWAY , YOULL NEED to NOT !!! have the ends melted togeter , youll need A short open (uncovered) space that can be the break away point( leave a inch or 2 ..thats 2.54 cm to 5.0 cm) OR add a very short section of chain in its own loop that the clip actually attaches to, sorry i dont have a pic but i think youll understand , you just need to not have the shell fused back togeter

simbad

Enlightened
I pulled from both sides and it brakes very easily, the outer shell with fused ends does not offered a big resistance anyway. I have another kind of paracord here and the nylon looks thicker.
I will make another lanyard leaving the clip uncovered but I need to find the way to fix the nylon ends close to the clip. Possibly some plastic tube does the job.
Thanks for the clarification.

Craig720

Enlightened
xr4fun said:
I wear a Peak Matterhorn on a ball-chain around my neck all the time. Good quality ball-chain is hard to find. After I bought mine online somewhere I found it at LightHound. He also has a bunch of lanyards and parachord stuff.

Isn't ball-chain, well, frikkin' COLD in the winter?

cnw4002

Newly Enlightened
Almost any good hardware store has good quality beadchain. You buy it by the foot and it is cheap. The fasteners are only a few pennies apiece.

mridude

Newly Enlightened
If I remember correctly. One of the advantages of titanium is that it doesn't conduct heat...ie, the cold. Perhaps a titanium ($??) ball chain?

rikvee

Enlightened
The previously mentioned Lighthound.com has gone out of his way to make it easy to assemble your own lanyard in what looks like 30+ colors(!).
Their plastic breakaways work fine, I wear my lights at breastbone height, which makes them just marginally larger than what it takes to get them around my big head :)
The breakaway is positioned around the collar bone, were I don't feel it.

Oh yeah, welcome back, this is nascar!

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
I use my AAA-P everyday on a neck cord. I use the grey/green ones that Surefire keep giving me when I order a light or spares carrier (who would want 6 lithiums and a lamp swinging round their neck anyway ??). These days, I remove the inner core of the cord, and run the cord through a Nano spring clip from Lighthound, before attaching a plastic breakaway piece to each end, and stitching the apex closed with strong thread.

For everyday wear, I much prefer the ARC AAA-P to the Jil CR2 DD that I used to wear, although the Jil was brighter, and had longer battery life, the ARC is much more unobtrusive, where the Jil sat at an angle due to the off centre lanyard point, and the larger size. The ARC goes unnoticed, where I used to snag the Jil, even under a shirt, if I allowed something to brush downwards against my chest. So comfortable is the ARC, I sometimes physically check that I have it round my neck. The lanyard length is the original length of Surefire lanyards, and the hook sits just above the bottom of the sternum.

Lanyards_ARC.jpg

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
It is very comfortable, althought the breakaway pieces are obviously much larger diameter than the cord, so they can be a pain if I'm wearing a uniform shirt and tie, as they press on the back of my lower neck a little, but until technology advances to give a reliable and cheap quick break link that is no thicker than the cord, then these from Lighthound will do fine ! :rock:

phips

Newly Enlightened
I don't really understand what is all the fuss about safety with a neck carry.
Sure it wouldn't be too comfortable to hang down on a tree or getting your head pulled into machinery but how often is that going to happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.