ARC LS modification Project IN CHROME!!!!!

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: ARC LS REVIVAL Project IN CHROME!!!!!

matrixshaman said:
What are the differences between that and regular copper ?
Tellurium, when added to stainless steel and copper it makes these metals more workable. This helps with turning copper, a metal which is wuite soft and might be "gummy" to machine...

Also ,without Tellurium, threaded SS parts can be prone to galling, as can other metals which develop an oxide layer.

I'm no scientist, but this is what some simple research has provided me with. :grin2:

bombelman said:
Tellurium, when added to stainless steel and copper it makes these metals more workable. This helps with turning copper, a metal which is wuite soft and might be "gummy" to machine...

Also ,without Tellurium, threaded SS parts can be prone to galling, as can other metals which develop an oxide layer.

I'm no scientist, but this is what some simple research has provided me with. :grin2:
Tellurium? I thought that was a place in Colorado. :lolsign:

cgpeanut

Enlightened

Nyctophiliac said:
Wow.

Very pretty, chaps.

Chrome and ARC LS, what a beautiful combination. Count me in!

To be honest, a new emitter and board doesn't sway me as much as the finish. I'd happily take a stock innards with a new body. But if you're doing variable output, more efficiency etc...maybe new is better. I just think that even with P1D-CE, L1D-CE, HDS, even ARC +4 and any other variable output torches at my (our) disposal these days, with all the flashing and blinking and choices we have, how come I still EDC an old ARC single output LS.

Maybe one of each.

Well done, :popcorn::popcorn:

Be lucky...

IMHO , when doing a twisty light like this chrome Arc-LS the simplier the UI interface the better, It would be very annoying and impractical to have to twist multiple times just to get into a UI level you want plus you really have to do this with both hands,

Be carefull too, one thing experience is that if the arc-ls twisty does NOT screw in all the way in, there is a very good chance the battery, li-on or otherwise will get dented and thus destroying the battery.

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast

cgpeanut said:
It would be very annoying and impractical to have to twist multiple times just to get into a UI level you want plus you really have to do this with both hands...

Kiessling also mentioned "KISS"...

Simple is the key and with a twisty, you would want Twist -> On, Twist -> Off. This is how Arc first intended the lights to be and these sold like hot-cakes, so this I agree with you 100%. Nothing is final but solutions are being worked out as we speak.

As you can see, this project is in it's finals stage. Final tests are being done and then the public will have a chance to get this beautiful Gem.....

Cheers !

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic

Down with any multi-twist interfaces. KISS and stay close to the original. At most, a 2-level twisty but I think even that is not needed. Are these refinished Arc LS bodies or have you machined entirely new bodies from scratch? It's not real clear from the posts.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast

The bodies were bought as UNFINISHED ARC bodies. The CR2 tails were custom made and are identical (except in finish) to bombleman's Cr2 Tail part.

We are working very hard at the moment on developing something which all true ARC lovers will really appreciate.
That is all I will say about it. Don't ask. I will not tell until the concept is proven and in my hand...This will be soon.

Just a word about the KISS concept.
This mod really is all about KISS. The light will turn on with a twist. That's it nothing else. The light will be very easy to modify. The light will run on any battery you feed it. This light will be quite bright. Certainly brighter than the orignal...much. The light should if all works out produce a great deal of light without becoming HOT. This is only possible with the advent of new drivers and more importantly more efficient emitters.

Bombleman may post a little something about the driver some time in the near future so watch out for that.

Where ever possible we are using off the shelf (top of the line of course) components. where there was no component we have made them.

A word about price. We can't give you guys a price for this light because the light is not finished yet we do not know our total cost yet.
I will say this. When done this price for this light will not be anything but reasonable. Some will consider it to be a bargain. Time will tell I am quite sure you will agree that the price will be very fair.
Yaesumofo

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic

yaesumofo said:
The light will run on any battery you feed it.
Do you really mean that? In particular do you mean it will be able to run on 1AA like the early Arc LS's with the 1AA twisty tail? If yes, :wow:! That fills a long-lived void.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast

I guess I should amend that to say any 3 volt battery you feed it in either a cr2 or cr123 form factor either primanry or rechargable.
Yaesumofo

paulr said:
Do you really mean that? In particular do you mean it will be able to run on 1AA like the early Arc LS's with the 1AA twisty tail? If yes, :wow:! That fills a long-lived void.

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast

The converter will run and current-regulate from either a CR2/CR123 primary or rechargeable cell, even if it's hot off your charger @ 4.2v....

So what current you ask ? How many lumens ?
Not yet determined. But we all know less bright is more runtime...

The driver is the last of your concerns and might be for a long time.
But technology advances, and it will, so you might want to do
an upgrade, say 3yrs from now ? Don't worry about this...
It will be just like chaging your roll of TP :)

Gimpy00Wang

b0rk, b0rk, b0rk

bombelman said:
It will be just like chaging your roll of TP :)
Now that's the kind of simplicity I'm looking for! :)

- Chris

Clickie

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking that if Bombelman's limited LS CR2 tailcap is any idea of how this new project will be that everyone lucky enough to score one will feel very fortunate!!

:popcorn: