ARC LS modification Project IN CHROME!!!!!

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
HI guys. From a crippled computer I just wanted to say that I am going to the chrome shop today to drop the parts for chroming!! I will post new info here in the next week or so about how things are coming. The New heat sink is done and works extremely well. More on that later as well.
Yaesumofo

reptiles

Enlightened
Yaesumofo, I read your early post where Peter G. asked you to post the disclaimer... and I must admit I lost interest. It sounded to me that you were re-creating his head design.

Now, I'm catching up and revisited this thread, and I find that you are using actual LS heads! Well that changes everything!

I wish you every success and hope I can acquire one of these "modern" LS beauties.

I'm posting in case there might be others like me that were confused at first.

Cheers,

Mark

TSWrench

Newly Enlightened
... Okay. Thanks to Bombelman, I was able to get on track with this project again. I am still interested in this light. Not to muddy the waters, but I am still a fan of the FLuPIC module, because the FLuPIC is as simple or as involved as you choose to configure it. I think they call that flexibility.

PKT

Newly Enlightened
I'm still eyeballing this thread:) has it moved again? or will it BE
moved this weekend? I don't want to loose track of this one.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The idea is to use the actual LS head and create a next gen flashlight around it.
I have completed the new clicky tail and have quite a few ready to go.

The final innards are very close to being in hand.
I am also very very close to sending the aluminum parts to the chrome shop. I can now do this since I have finished the clicky tail.
So please do keep your eye on the thread. I will say that there will be very FEW of these complete sets available.
They will include a modded ARC LS head with modern emitter and electronics, as well as a reflector,
there will be a clicky tail (mine) a twisty tail (arc) and the now famous Bombleman cR2 tail. All in chrome.
I can't remember if I have been this detailed about what this light will include but now you all know.
Price is not available yet.... ETA...when they are ready ...all of them. NO PRE-Pays. I don't beleive in them.
Yaesumofo

Yaesumofo, I read your early post where Peter G. asked you to post the disclaimer... and I must admit I lost interest. It sounded to me that you were re-creating his head design.

Now, I'm catching up and revisited this thread, and I find that you are using actual LS heads! Well that changes everything!

I wish you every success and hope I can acquire one of these "modern" LS beauties.

I'm posting in case there might be others like me that were confused at first.

Cheers,

Mark

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
No this is not a Que.

Just a little note I went down and picked up a whole bunch of parts today. These included the NEW MOFO Clicky for this light.
I dropped all of the parts off for PRE-CHROME work.
With a good polish when these sets of parts get chromed they will look incredible.
The polishing takes out any machine marks and microscopic dings.
This makes for a really beautiful chrome finish.
Soon You will see.
I will post an image of the the chromed parts to make you guys drool.

I hope you guys appreciate how much work goes into a project of this nature. Remember the HEAD and twisty tail are the only stock ARC MADE parts. Everything else except electronics and emitter is custom manufactured.
For example here is a look into the guts of the MOFO Clicky:
mofoClicky1crsm.jpg

What is That round nut? You may ask. That is the part I designed to to create contact between the body of the light and the switch.

Anyway I just wanted you guys to know that I am active and working hard to get these done.
Have a great day.
Yaesumofo

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
To be honest sale on thes is NOT quite around the corner.
It took me a long time to get the MOFOclicky tail done. It was worth the wait. In the tiime that has gone by there have beenadavnces in driver technology and I thnnk emitters have gotten a little better. There are ever better reflectors available.
I have been working on an emitter/driver/reflector combination to do the project justice for some time now. Just as I was going to settle on a driver it appears that the dirver I had planned on using has become scarse. I am forced to go back to the drawing board.
I am open to ideas for the driver. The emittter will most likley be a seoul so the driver must be able to drive a seoul.
I have custom heatsinks and driver boards, custom made MOFO clickies ARC heads, ARC twisties and cr2 twisties all set to go now for the important stuff.

I am now able to focus on the most important element. The light source.
Stay tuned.
Yaesumofo

How far away is the sale day? They look great!

Marc

cryhavok

Enlightened
Might I petition that you use a Cree XR-E as the emitter? I really think the XR-E is better suited to smaller reflectors, thereby making this little light have a bit of throw.

Take a look at the Draco and Jetbeam micro...Draco uses an XR-E; Jetbeam uses a Seoul P4. Similar sized heads in diameter and the Draco easily out throws the Jetbeam. The same is true for my Seoul and Cree modded Aleph A3's. I've also modded an Orb Raw NS with both a Cree and Seoul and found the Cree to provide a better beam...

I think most people believe the Seoul P4 is better because of the "93 to 118 lumens @350ma" or "240 lumens at 1A" hype...believe me it's not how many lumens but how they are delivered!!! If anything, build 2 prototypes each using a different emitter and I'm confident you will see the XR-E is superior. If you still don't like it, I'll buy that one off you :twothumbs

So who's with me and prefers the Cree XR-E?? Q2 bins are readily available...

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe I will just let you guys fill theses beautiful matched chrome sets with whatever pleases you by letting you do the modding....Hmmmmm.
Yaesumofo

Might I petition that you use a Cree XR-E as the emitter? I really think the XR-E is better suited to smaller reflectors, thereby making this little light have a bit of throw.

I have no prtoblem with the cree XRE emitter. It is just a little more to shuve into a very masll space

Yaesumofo

Take a look at the Draco and Jetbeam micro...Draco uses an XR-E; Jetbeam uses a Seoul P4. Similar sized heads in diameter and the Draco easily out throws the Jetbeam. The same is true for my Seoul and Cree modded Aleph A3's. I've also modded an Orb Raw NS with both a Cree and Seoul and found the Cree to provide a better beam...

I think most people believe the Seoul P4 is better because of the "93 to 118 lumens @350ma" or "240 lumens at 1A" hype...believe me it's not how many lumens but how they are delivered!!! If anything, build 2 prototypes each using a different emitter and I'm confident you will see the XR-E is superior. If you still don't like it, I'll buy that one off you :twothumbs

So who's with me and prefers the Cree XR-E?? Q2 bins are readily available...