Are CR2 flashlights a dying breed?

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are any of our CPF dealers selling these? I only see them on EBay...

As far as I know there are no Fireworms available on the CPFMP at the moment. Aside from eBay, hkequipment.net has the Fireworm F01 for sale and the price is somewhat lower than many eBay sellers.

Last edited:

hoop762

Newly Enlightened
Getting back to CR2 lights, the Streamlight TLR-3 looks very interesting. The use of a single CR2 battery rather than 1-2 CR123's makes this one of the more compact weapon lights, and inside the waistband holsters are available for this light for some of the more common pistols, unlike many other weapon lights.

I have a TLR-3 on my carry weapon. It works really well with AIWB carry.

Not nearly as bright as some of its CR123 brethren but I feel its adequate and get a lot of light for the size.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

rje58

Enlightened
The correct link is hkequipment.net, not .com

As far as I know there are no Fireworms available on the CPFMP at the moment. Aside from eBay, hkequipment.com has the Fireworm F01 for sale and the price is somewhat lower than many eBay sellers.

appliancejunk

Enlightened
Well I received my Foursevens CR2 today, but it's now the newest flashlight I have owned for the least amount of time, lol...

As I opened up the package my wife asked, "what did you get now?"
I jokingly said, "the worlds smallest, brightest flashlight" as I put the battery in it.

My son said,"let's see it".

So I handed it to him and he looked it over and twisted it on.
I could tell he was not very impressed, yet! ;)

I said,"Hmm, it's not very bright is it..."

He handed it back to me and as I twisted it on and off I explained how it has three levels, low, med. and high.

When I hit the high output level his eyes got big and with a big smile he said, "holy shi* that's bright! How much are these, I want one to put on my keyring".

I kid you not! Them are his exact words and he took me a bit by surprise as I don't hear him curse like that around us...

He is a high school senior this year and has seen many of my other flashlights over the years. He has never really got all to excited about any of my other flashlights, but he sure got excited about this Foursevens CR2.

Without saying how much they cost or anything else I said, "You can have this one and I will order another one."

His eyes lit up again as he said, "Really, thanks!". :D

He then went and got his keyring and removed the Photon Freedom I gave him last year and then he put on the Foursevens CR2.

Said he can't wait to show his friends, lol...

Have to admit I'm really happy to see my son take so much interest in a flashlight.

On a different note, one of the first things I noticed on the Foursevens CR2 was how there seem to be just a bit more metal around the hole for the split ring then I expected.
In many of the stock photos I see online it looks like the metal is paper thin on the outside of the hole, but in person it's much better.

Anyway I took a quick photo of it on my sons keyring just incase I never see it again... ;)

1_02_08_13_4_36_40.jpeg

Now to order another one, or two...

Asked the wife if she wanted one too, but she said, "No, I'm not into flashlights".

Think I will order two just in case. I would hate to loose another one again.

The store of this flashlight continues. Long story short it went missing for over four months after my son's auto accident, but today we found it.
I have posted more detail along with before and after photos of his FourSevens CR2 flashlight on my own site so I won't bother to repeat it here.
For anyone that is interested you can see the before and after photos along with the full story at this URL.
http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=14280.0

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
The store of this flashlight continues. Long story short it went missing for over four months after my son's auto accident, but today we found it.
I have posted more detail along with before and after photos of his FourSevens CR2 flashlight on my own site so I won't bother to repeat it here.
For anyone that is interested you can see the before and after photos along with the full story at this URL.
http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=14280.0

Yes, a good story indeed.....and the flashlight still works! Mostly, I'm glad to hear that your son wasn't injured in the car accident. Sounds like things could have been much worse.

BillSWPA

Enlightened
I recently replaced the CR2 on my keychain with an Atom A0 with red LED in order to have the ability to check kids without waking them up as well as preserve dark adapted vision. Even the low on the MLR2 was too bright for this. The quality and size efficiency of the MLR2 really caused me to hesitate to take it off my main keys. I ended up putting it on my set of keys for my wife's car so that it is with me most of the time anyway.

CaptainPicard

Newly Enlightened
I only have the Mini CR2 (or MLR2 by the modern nomenclature.) I have it in all the tints. I carry one every day and love all of them.:)

Have to buy myself the ALR2. I love the small form factor of the Mini CR2, especially for EDC, and my P0 (now A0) is also a frequently used light.

Now to convince the girlfriend that I need an Atom kit and the new Atom ALR2...:devil:

Last edited:

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently replaced the CR2 on my keychain with an Atom A0 with red LED in order to have the ability to check kids without waking them up as well as preserve dark adapted vision. Even the low on the MLR2 was too bright for this. The quality and size efficiency of the MLR2 really caused me to hesitate to take it off my main keys. I ended up putting it on my set of keys for my wife's car so that it is with me most of the time anyway.

Wait! Any self respecting flashaholic knows you should really have BOTH lights on your key chain. The wife may not be there at that critical moment! :)

BillSWPA

Enlightened
Wait! Any self respecting flashaholic knows you should really have BOTH lights on your key chain. The wife may not be there at that critical moment! :)

It is on a keychain I usually carry in addition to my main keys. She has her own MLR2 on her keychain.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Cr2 mini and a Nitecore Cr2 Sens. The Sens is an "automated" UI, but the reality is, it is not better or worse, only different. The best analogy I can give is that after using twisty & clicky tail cap switches, the first "twist the head to change modes" light I had seemed uncomfortably foreign at first. Now that interface is second nature. I too tend to use my keychain light for short bursts, and battery life is in months. Since the CR2 Sens is available for less than $35 if you shop it, it is really worth trying. There is another CR2 light I wish to suggest but darned if I can't think of the name-I will find it and get back to you. I also agree that I can buy Cr2's as easily for the same price as CR-123A's.
Ed

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can buy a NiteCore Sens mini for $27.16 USD (plus shipping) at Illumination Supply if you use the "secret" 15% discount code that can be found on their home page.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Here is another CR2 light in stock & less than $60: the Extreme Micro, I don't own one so I can't testify as to how it compares to my 4Sevens CR2 Mini or my Nitecore Sens, buT at least another option for you. Lighthound has them....

ArcMania?.... okay, that means that's just a $15 widely-produced in China light. Perhaps even cheaper than that.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also have become a fan of CR2 thanks to the 4Sevens mini. I recently purchased the Atom ALR2 as well to give it a try. The Atom is a great little flood light but I like the Mini better. Size wise the Atom is not quite as small as I had hoped and doesn't offer any significant size advantage over the Mini CR2. Compared to the Mini the Atom feels like a lead weight thanks to it's stainless construction and the tail magnet, it is fine for a watch pocket but I don't think I would like it on a key ring. The magnet is strong and secures the light well but it does concern me around credit cards or anything sensitive to magnets.I'm torn as to keeping the magnet or de-magnetizing it.The Atom should hold up better over time than the Mini thanks to the stainless steel body but the mini wins out for me.As companion lights the Atom ALR2 and the Mini CR2 are excellent with one having a utility beam and the other providing flood. I wish 4Sevens was more more interested in offering neutral tints but at least my Mini CR2 is one of the warm ones.

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you could share some link for similar lights like the extreme micro cr2 made in China for $15 please do share. I won't mind getting a couple.

ArcMania?.... okay, that means that's just a $15 widely-produced in China light. Perhaps even cheaper than that.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess I am not being fair on the size of the Atom ALR2 it is 5/16 of an inch shorter than the Mini CR2. :ohgeez: I don't know why I was expecting it to be smaller yet,chalk it up to unrealistic expectations on my part. The Atom ALR2 really is a small light. For anyone interested it looks like the Mini CR2 is back in stock :grin2: