Are XX Eneloop's worth it for the extra 500mAh?

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a different problem with XX - size. I bought a package of 4 and they weren't all the same size. The first XX I picked, wouldn't fit in the AA light. Only 2 of the 4 fit. (My white Eneloops were 12 for 12.)

Wrend

Enlightened
I had a different problem with XX - size. I bought a package of 4 and they weren't all the same size. The first XX I picked, wouldn't fit in the AA light. Only 2 of the 4 fit. (My white Eneloops were 12 for 12.)

That's kind of weird. You'd think they'd fit within they're specs, so kind of have to toss that up to random margins, or maybe you got some off cells.

Maybe in your case there isn't much tolerance, but in general, I wouldn't say this is a factor in what others should choose for their needs.

Anyway, as I said in my first response: If you need longer run times without needing to switch out cells, the XX cells are potentially a valid choice. Otherwise, they aren't. Simple as that. (No need to over complicate things here...)

Last edited:

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
The latest standard Eneloop's are rated for 2,000 mAh (min 1,900 mAh) and upto 1800 charge cycles - that's a possible total of 3,600,000 mAh. But they also claim 90% capacity after 1 year and 70% after 5 years!

The XX version are rated to 2,550 mAh (min 2,450 mAh) and upto 500 charge cycles - which gives a much more disappointing total of 122,500 mAh. The claimed capacity after 1 year for these is 85%, but no other time-scales are mentioned.

You are missing a zero on your Eneloop XX calculation - off by a factor of ten. If you are still around, would be good to edit the original post. Tends to skew things pretty dramatically when you have an error like that.