Are You Influenced by Brand Loyalty?

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am brand loyal to an extent.Usually I will wait for reviews but on occasion take a chance on a new design/model from a brand I have found to be reputable.I am not blindly loyal to any brand though I think that is a mistake

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
im influenced by cost / performance ratio, and multiple positive reviews.

ALL my lights are tools to be used.

ill pay up to $0.60 cents a lumen if its well built :)

but try to buy used or clearance/sale lights at $0.30 a lumen :D

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I am infuenced by other's brand loyalty for sure. If you spend your time arguing a particular light brand is best then I figure why not try it and see for myself.

Sometimes I win, sometimes I loose. So far consistant happiness comes from many custom makers borne from CPF instead of brand A or B. Now if we are talking about mod hosts then sure I am loyal, I love a modded Surefire!

GotDogs

Newly Enlightened
I am QUALITY conscious. So through experience and informed opinion I would continue to do business with those that DELIVER. When that changes, so do I. I guess I am considered a loyal customer.

lovecpf
John

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't really buy flashlights out of brand loyalty. That implies that I stick to a brand no matter what. I buy based on positive reviews of lights and those companies in general. I buy lights based on features I like as well as build quality. I prefer brands like Princeton Tec, Fenix, Inova, and Gerber. Princeton Tec makes the best headlights for backpacking (EOS and Quad headlights). Fenix makes among the lightest, toughest, brightest, and most efficient backpacking weight lights you can buy. Inova makes lights built like a tank that are built to last. I have and like the T1, X5, and XO (new textured reflector one). Gerber makes many of their lights built to last until the l.e.d. goes dead. I have an LX 3.0 that has been dropped and smacked against concrete and steel too many times to count and it still works as well as the day I bought it. My Infinity Ultra has never failed in the many years I've owned it. I had to buy an updated one with a newer l.e.d., not because the old one failed, but because it still runs but has an outdated l.e.d..

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im guilty...for a long time it was Surefires (bought 10+) now it is Fenix (closing on 10+)

I don't know that it is a bad thing....anything that makes me want to buy lights is a good thing... right? I guess it has most likely made me use poorer judgement when I feel my current favorite brand is being unfairly treated by a poster (usually who favors my old favorite brand) but I have tried to grow up a little bit and not take the bait.

But, overall, I think it is a good thing....keeps all of us supporting the industry that is important to us.

Last edited:

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im not really influenced by Brands. i do tend to buy quality items though, i do also trust the opinions of my fellow cpfers, to guide me on buying a good light

I do have quite a few surefires (and more on the way) but i am more than happy to buy different lights, my EDC is a novatac and has been for 2 years, my backup and backupbackup are both Fenix (P1ce and L0p)

when i was doing security work i relied on my gear, i started with a mag 3d, upgraded to a Pelican M11, and 6p backup, then got a sl stinger xt, as a rechargeable belt light, i also got a SF L4 around this time

i managed to lose the charger on the m11 - replaced with magcharger (lives under the bed now
i dropped the stinger, and it wouldnt turn off, it was replaced with a Pila Gl3xr

the gl3xr started to flicker, and not light sometimes, so it was replaced with a SF U2, which i still have

the only surefire i have ever had fail is my L4, after 4 years, and many many hours of use (pila 168s - guilt free lumens) i managed to burn the LED out.
im sure surefire would have fixed the head, but instead i put a cree in it, it is working again, just as bright, but with a slightly throwier beam.

i guess i keep buying surefire because i trust them, but i am happy to buy other lights (waiting on a Lumenfactory led head, and legionII to arrive) providing they do what i want (which is why the novatac hasnt been replaced as an edc yet)

actually, - i am brand loyal to spyderco, although that is more to do with me liking the shape of their knives, and them being comfortable to use for my hands, and mac, i just prefer the mac os over windows

Last edited:

Tom_123

Newly Enlightened
Interesting question because for some things
I am brand loyal to the edge of stubbornness, but if it comes to flashlights
I don't have any brand loyalty.
Don't know exactly why this is so, maybe because discovering and comparing
the ideas and accomplishment of the different brands is part of the hobby?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Brand loyalty? Not hardly. I'm far more loyal to the opinions of fellow CPFers. Of course there are brands you can count on to be good, which is the best reason to be loyal, but I'm open to any new offerings from less known makers.

Geoff

Superdave

Enlightened
I stick with Surefire because i want to know that the light will work every time. I used to get so mad at my old Maglites when i'd have to smack them around or my Streamlight Scorpion that would pull the bulb out of the socket on focusing.

Same reason i buy Craftsman tools.. not the most expensive tools but they come with a solid warranty and failures are rare.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't really have any brand loyalty. I have brands that I have a handful of lights from. Buy whatever looks nice/cool, common battery types, power efficient, doesn't have to be the brightest, clearance lights, etc. Sometimes I will buy one on the spur of the moment. :candle:

I use to do that...until I got my first real SF (an L1)...and they sold themselves. So, yes, definitely loyal...none of there lights have let me down to where there CS hasn't taken care of it. If I was confident that other lights would survive the abuse my SF's have gone through, or if I were confident that when I did manage to break the light, the company would send me a new part in 3 days with only a 3 minute phone conversation...yes, brand loyalty meanss alot, and I hope SF does nothing to have me lose there loyalty. Also loyal to Remington, pelican, simmons, benchmade...other companies want my business (loyalty), they have to sell me first, and they only get one shot.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of my lights are from Surefire, but I wouldn't consider myself to be loyal. Instead, I'm more of a form and function loyal than brand loyal. If it looks good and works well, then I'm sold. I've had a few Fenix, Jetbeam, Olight, Nitecore, Inova, Zebralight, etc, and those are all great lights in my books.

The way a flashlight looks plays a huge factor in my purchasing decision. Some of the lower quality lights have this cheap shiny looking anodizing to them which I don't like. If Surefire decides to use those hosts, then I will never buy from them again regardless how well the light is made.

computernut

Enlightened
I'm not blindly brand loyal but I sure love Surefire products. I love things that are works of art and engineering. Service and parts available is a big thing too. I bought a name-brand BBQ last summer because I knew that 5 years down the road that I would be able to get parts for it rather than having to hack some generic stuff from the hardware store. I love Apple products as well. You don't see people attached to their PC clones like people love their Macs.

Other companies have had products that have caught my eye but they either have too many modes and the UI is not intuitive or it just doesn't have that perfect tool feel to it.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Brand Loyalty may imply a blind trust in a brand as someone remarked earlier.

Some brands deservedly build up a good reputation and when they have positive feedback, it makes me more likely to try them.

If I'm impressed then I will be more likely to try another product from that manufacturer/brand.

However, there is a flip-side too.

Everything in life goes in cycles.

Each brand is only as good as the personnel behind it and as this changes with time, then the quality of the product changes too.

Sometimes, manufacturers become complacent and rest on their laurels because of their good name.

If they do this, eventually they will be found wanting.

If its my perception that the expertise in producing a good product is no longer there, I will not remain "loyal" regardless of its brand-name.

bkumanski

Enlightened
Yes. Then I buy a second light. Then I try something else. My loyalty changes...I buy another...repeat.:laughing:

henry1960

Enlightened
It's a very good question.

Not exactly brand loyalty but it is easier to pull the trigger on brands I own and like. Surefire, Ra, Muyshondt, JetBeam, Quark, Nitecore, Zebralight, and so on. The order I list them in is no coincidence except the first three are really all in first place in my book (I just happen to own more SF than Ra than Muyshondt). The thing is, there are other makers I am planning to support and foresee will continue to do so. The top few are Cool Fall, McGizmo, Scurion, Zylight, First Light USA, Barbolight, etc. So long as the light is distinctive enough, I am happy to consider it for purchase. Some brands are more appropriate for certain purposes but generally I don't really stereotype all that much. In the end I don't think the brand really is that critical. I have avoided Surefires with 'angry blue' tint emitters for example.

A few years ago it was easy to be 'brand loyal' because the choices were more limited. That is no longer the case. There are just too many good brands with attractive offerings to be brand-locked. :broke:

Dito On That.....

I have many bran flashlights my self and there are many great Supplyers out there but for example, Surefire makes a certain amount of lights for my needs while Nitecore does the same ect.

Its like have a sports car from your favorite automaker and having a luxuary car from a different auotomaker

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
I definitely have at least some form of brand loyalty, but I don't have enough lights to have it full-blown.

I enjoy my Ultrafire even though they aren't generally well regarded. I don't know if I would buy other Ultrafires, but I might buy some more of the model I have as gifts for people.

I absolutely had to have a Fenix L2D. To me, it has a "classic" look as it was the light that I saw the most of when I was getting into lights and flashaholism. I am partial to Fenix as a result, so I would give a Fenix light the nod over an equivalent light from another brand. I do really like the fit and finish of my L2D and its light weight is great. On the other hand, I can't wait to try some lights from other brands in the future.

I guess a lot of my preferences are actually determined by what I've read and seen on here, what lights get glowing reviews... as well as what is practical and within my relatively modest budget. Appearance is also a definite part of my preferences; with so much selection of great performing lights this isn't really an issue though. I'm also a bit biased towards Stainless Steel and Titanium... so I'm not so much brand loyal as I just have a mix of different preferences and influences. Someday I'll have a nice Ti light... someday!