ARGH: Accident w/Amondotech 123s and SF M2 + Detonator + G&P Tailcap + Chop KL3 Head!

*Retired*
Re: ARGH: Accident w/Amondotech 123s and SF M2 + Detonator + G&P Tailcap + Chop KL3 Head!

Oh my.

*sigh*

Thats not just a simple vent, thats a cell exploding in an LED light. It is good that the flashlight contained the event, some of the problems with the SureFire 9P have actually ripped open the side of the aluminum body tube.

I'd thought it was just a gas release from your earlier description.

Does the head end still operate, so you could find out what the current draw is?

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: ARGH: Accident w/Amondotech 123s and SF M2 + Detonator + G&P Tailcap + Chop KL3 H

Thats not just a simple vent, thats a cell exploding in an LED light.

This is just no good... :awman:

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: ARGH: Accident w/Amondotech 123s and SF M2 + Detonator + G&P Tailcap + Chop KL3 H

NewBie said:
Oh my.

*sigh*

Thats not just a simple vent, thats a cell exploding in an LED light. It is good that the flashlight contained the event, some of the problems with the SureFire 9P have actually ripped open the side of the aluminum body tube.

Does the head end still operate, so you could find out what the current draw is?

Later tonight I'll try to clean up the springs and see if it still works. I don't have much hope looking at the condition of the cell directly behind it... It looks like a lot of heat and gas were expelled. I'm hoping it is ok but I think it is finished. It worked fine on my L5 body setup (2x123) and I ran it many times on the 3x123 before too. I've never had a problem with it and it seems that it was well regulated on both 2x123 and 3x123 setups.

So I guess it really was a pipebomb, wasn't it? I'm glad the KL3 and M2 body are so well made, and the tailcap was structurally sound. It must have been quite an explosion, yet there is no smoke or damage in the compartment. Weird.

*Retired*

Chronos said:
Later tonight I'll try to clean up the springs and see if it still works. I don't have much hope looking at the condition of the cell directly behind it... It looks like a lot of heat and gas were expelled. I'm hoping it is ok but I think it is finished. It worked fine on my L5 body setup (2x123) and I ran it many times on the 3x123 before too. I've never had a problem with it and it seems that it was well regulated on both 2x123 and 3x123 setups.

So I guess it really was a pipebomb, wasn't it? I'm glad the KL3 and M2 body are so well made, and the tailcap was structurally sound. It must have been quite an explosion, yet there is no smoke or damage in the compartment. Weird.

Okay, if you would please PM me when you get the info, or not, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast

NewBie,

Will do.

I'm taking the family out for dinner. I'll try to clean it up tonight.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

NewBie said:
Oh my.

*sigh*

Yes, from my understanding, this is an event in a LED light. Is the fact that the head is a modded KL3 and not an incandescent germane to this event? Do we have any way of determining this? I propose that I can stick three cells in a metal tube that is not a flashlight and complete the circuit and initiate an event. I believe you can stick some metal or other conductive object in the head such that it shorts across from the battery tube to the + pole of the forward battery and also induce an event if the cells do not have on board and effective safety devices to stop said event(consider a magnet used to bridge the gap in the battery chain for instance). This particular light has a cell extender that is in the ground path. If there is significant resistance in this path and the converter is constant current it will attempt to reach the designed output current by drawing even more power from the batteries. I don't know what the switch is about or if it can demand more power, again from the cells. :shrug:

We all want to understand where the dangers and risk lie. Short of turning away from the CR123 batteries entirely, are there reasonably safe applications and considerations to make? The US is a society where law suits are brought if there is loss. The legal system supports and encourages this and it diminishes, to some extent, the loss to the individual. It also allows the individual to assume risk without financial responsibility to an extent. Legal recourse has already been mentioned in this thread I believe. Well if someone is knowingly at fault or derrilect in due diligence then perhaps there are grounds for legal recourse (might be tough suing an engineer in China though). When I first joined CPF, there were all kinds of mods and experiments and the bleeding edge was identified as just that; being at the edge where blood could and was drawn on occassion. Those of us engaged in activities with these lights understood and accepted the responsibility of our actions. None of us sought or considdered modder's or user's insurance. :rolleyes:

Well the community has grown and now there are much more sophisticated offerings and combinations of components. A misapplication or combination can result in instant magic smoke and destroyed components.

My point here? Well just look at the subject line and consider a suit being brought against any of the players named in the component build. Did this group get together and design this light and suggest or state that it should be considered safe? Does this group have an easy out by stating that this combination of components was never evaluated or intended as a flashlight, per se?

I believe the author of this thread assumed a certain and real responsibility in building or compiling this light. Unfortunately, he may not have been aware of the extent of this responsibility or its down side. I doubt any of us are! The fault in components may be an inherently unsafe system or grouping or it could be due to a single bad battery. It could also be the contribution of a bad battery coupled with a system that will not support the use of a bad battery or a combination of precursors not yet identified. :shrug:

None of us want to design, build or drive a Pinto with a faulty gas tank. Many of us do want to design, build and drive a reasonably safe car though! The Pinto with its faulty gas tank was identified and rectified. We're not there yet. Do we drive with additional caution and seek answers or do we walk? We have the freedom to make choices and the responsibility to live with the choices we make.

I have the inclination and desire to place the fault of recent and more prevelant events at the door of off shore manufacturers of these CR123 batteries. My inclination and desires are basd on suspicions and not fact. They may be supported by evidence but are not supported by understanding or scientific evaluation available to me. I don't want to pass any buck if it is in fact mine, though. IF the fault or unacceptable level of risk can be associated to batteries of unacceptable construction or design and IF these batteries are all manufactured off shore, what can be done about this? Drive the poor importer or supplier of these batteries out of business by not buying from them or more agressive legal tactics? They are just trying to earn an honest living and provide product and services in demand. Can pressure be brought on the battery industry itself to police itself and insure proper product in proper applications?

If I had an attorney and he (she) were to advise me, I suspect the first piece of advise would be to consider no longer building flashlights that were based on CR123 cells until the air clears on recent events. I am also certain that they would advise me to make no comment on a public forum, what so ever, in regards to safety and CR123 batteries. I would be very surprised if the absense of comment or information from battery manufactures as well as some of the real flashlight manufacturers isn't due to just such legal advise. I have no doubts that the legal industry would like nothing more than to represent any and all concerned parties at any and all levels of issues and concerns. If we end up inviting them to the party, I won't need one representing me, I am out.

Ironically, I think if these events get sensationalized effectively one could envision domestic supply to dry up specifically because of liability issues. What would be left to fill any demand? Possibly those at the root of the problem to start with? Want a conspiricy? :rolleyes:

The recent events that have been reported are not overwhelming in number and yet there seem to be enough of them that to consider them isolated or not statistically significant would seem to be a very foolish. While it seems that some CPF members have decided they want no part of CR123 powered lights what so ever,there may be an equal number who are completely ignoring the fact that there seems to be a problem in some as yet to be defined or understood cases. It seems that prudence and possible need would dictate an increased level of caution and alertness for anyone using these lights. I think testing and matching cells prior to use is a great precaution but it doesn't make sense that this be necessary at some point when the problem is better understood and addressed by those in a position to do so. I just can't envision a 2 for 1 sale point of purchase display at Target for an inexpensive 2xCR123 light with accompaning $100 battery tester! :green:

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: ARGH: Accident w/Amondotech 123s and SF M2 + Detonator + G&P Tailcap + Chop KL3 Head!

On the thought of abandoning primaries for litium ion. Don is right. An unsafe Li battery can be made.

When I was trying to get them made I had a batch of scary ones that was destroyed.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast

McGizmo said:
Y

My point here? Well just look at the subject line and consider a suit being brought against any of the players named in the component build. Did this group get together and design this light and suggest or state that it should be considered safe? Does this group have an easy out by stating that this combination of components was never evaluated or intended as a flashlight, per se?

I believe the author of this thread assumed a certain and real responsibility in building or compiling this light. Unfortunately, he may not have been aware of the extent of this responsibility or its down side. I doubt any of us are! The fault in components may be an inherently unsafe system or grouping or it could be due to a single bad battery. It could also be the contribution of a bad battery coupled with a system that will not support the use of a bad battery or a combination of precursors not yet identified. :shrug:

:green:

The author of this thread did assemble a 1x123 extender, a tailcap, and a modded KL3. Good points Don!

I mentioned a lawyer in my first post as I was MAD this light blew up in my car, with my family present, when there should be low, low risk. My issue has been the venting of noxious, potentially carcinogenic gases in a tightly enclosed space. Then I find out that one of the cells exploded. Think pipebomb.

To your point: did the detonator get built and sold as a standalone item? Or is it advertised as a cell extender for Surefire flashlights? Is the clicky tailcap advertised as a Surefire-compatible tailcap? Or is it an item created to sit by itself on a shelf. No, these were components designed and built to be added onto a specific brand of lights. That is what I did. I in no way hold any of the accountable. I know we could debate these points ad nauseum if we wanted. I'm not a lawyer and never wanted to be one. :) Heck, I tried a low-level series of mods and got bit. Bad.

I am responsible for assembling the light. I am responsible for putting it in the armrest of a rental car. I am responsible for purchasing the batteries. I'm attempting to point out that a catastrophic event occurred to me, in a situation that is far, far from what I'd consider to be the combat-type of conditions that the underlying light and cells were designed to support. A momentary flash of the light to determine it was working; storage in a safe, dark armrest. Then a sudden explosion, and the release of toxic gases.

Please do not think I'm interested in pursuing a lawsuit against anyone. This is now published on a public website. I wanted to post a warning that yes, a catastrophic event occurred, and I'd like to determine why.

As I stated in another thread a couple of weeks ago; I think that Don, Chop, MilkySpit et al are artisans. I'm awed and amazed at what they do. Yes, I assume some risk. When I add a new component to my Carrera do I hold Porsche responsible? No. However, if I do put a tankful of gas into my car and the complex fuel system is destroyed due to water in the gas in the station's tank or a mismeasurement of octane , then yes there may be an issue of liability. But again I am not interested in that; I think the CPF community may be interested in determining

a: What happened?
b: What is/are the causes?
c: What can we do to ensure we minimize the risks?

I think that stating the armrest got too hot for the cells is simply silly. If this is the case than we may have provided pipebombs to our troops overseas, as they operate in far hotter, more demanding environments. Remember this has happened to several off-the-shelf LED and incan lights... and to Surefire batteries too. Yikes.

To my mind, right now I think that the single cell was the culprit. I was likely undercharged from the factory, overheated when attempting to compensate for the charge mismatch, and ignited. Why did it overheat when the light was off? There was no perceptible power drain over the weekend. I've never had a misstep before with this same setup when running a KL5 or a 9v incan. Perhaps a component was not functioning properly. Perhaps the stars aligned just right and the right number of variables became constants and BANG. I'd just like to know, but doubt I will.

Again, not throwing stones here. Honest. Just like to see what the great minds here think caused it, and if I and others can do anything to prevent it (outside of sinking another $100 in a battery tester).

Thanks!

InfidelCastro

Banned

There's supposed to be a new specialized (for us) version of the ZTS coming out that will test lithiums better, so I'm holding out for that one.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Chronos,
No worries and no argument here. I am truly sorry this event happened to you and grateful that there was no apparent damage beyond that done to the light itself. If it was a pipe bomb, I am glad it was such a dud! I agree whole heartedly that WE would like difinitive answers to your questions of a,b & c.

It would really be great if someone in the battery industry could or would shed some light on these events. As it stands, we are relying heavily on Newbie to sort this out for us, best he can and that is a heavy responsibility for him!

My biased and probably jaundiced view is that domestic manufacturers will not shed light due to likely legal considerations and the company who made the 2xCR123 light that was reported about in the Canada Air event probably has no interest in comment and possibly less concern than I feel they should have.

In your analgy, it seems likely that it was the fuel supply that was bad but I am not sure that we can just give the fuel system itself a clean bill of health either! The fuel system can be host to a fuel filter that might have stopped the damage from happening in the first place. If contaminated fuel is a statictical possibility then a fuel filter as a preventative measure could well be prudent addition. Now if the fuel system does have a fuel filter but it fails to stop contaminated fuel from damaging the fuel system because it is inadequate or below accepted standards, who gets the finger?

EDIT: InfidelCastro, that is good news for those interested in and willing to go to the added safety precaution of testing their batteries. However I don't think that is a viable or appropriate solution for the general population who now have access to these lights and batteries!!

I am bothered that in both this case here as well as the experience with the HD45 that the owners report that the lights were turned off and the event came about after these lights were turned off. In both cases, it was the same brand of battery but I won't suggest that this is significant because I don't know that for any certainty beyond the obvious; they were the same brand. However, if these lights were in fact off, then was the event triggered while on and the cell or cells sustained some chemical reaction without current passing through them because of a closed circuit? Such a self perpetuating reaction has not been replicated or identified to my knowledge. Do we know that a battery tester will identify a battery capable of this activity as bad?

I think it is safe to state that most of us want good and safe batteries and we want to know the risks involved in using these cells. If as hobbiests we need to self determin the viability of individual cells prior to use then lets find this out and make it known!! If this is the case, I doubt we will continue to see inexpensive and readily available CR123's at least in the US! I don't think this is the case and I certainly hope it is not!! :green:

Last edited:

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast

InfidelCastro said:
There's supposed to be a new specialized (for us) version of the ZTS coming out that will test lithiums better, so I'm holding out for that one.
Where did you hear that?

Haz

Enlightened

wptski said:
Where did you hear that?

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/122352&page=1&pp=30

batterystation said:
Just a heads up. I am working with ZTS to make a "new" tester that is more geared to us flashlight nuts. This is a GREAT cause and I hope they do it. It would check ions, Lithium AAs, along with the regular stuff. I will keep everyone posted on this hopeful event.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Chronos, soryy to hear that this happened. Hopefully everyone in yoru family is OK.

In order to try to reconstruct what has happened, I'm not entirely sure if I understand the sequence of events. From your original post, I gather the following:

1. You take the lights, check them, turn them off, and put them down in the car.

2. Drive to the beach, have fun there.

3. Get back to the car, find the KL3 dead, get the KL5 and leave for a walk. (Here is where I'm confused. Did it happen that way?)

4. Get back to the car. Drive to the beach house.

5. You find the remnants of the explosion.

Am I correct? You did not notice the explosion; it happened in your absence, right? No one else went to the car and might have handled the light, right?

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast

elgarak said:
Chronos, soryy to hear that this happened. Hopefully everyone in yoru family is OK.

In order to try to reconstruct what has happened, I'm not entirely sure if I understand the sequence of events. From your original post, I gather the following:

1. You take the lights, check them, turn them off, and put them down in the car.

2. Drive to the beach, have fun there.

3. Get back to the car, find the KL3 dead, get the KL5 and leave for a walk. (Here is where I'm confused. Did it happen that way?)

4. Get back to the car. Drive to the beach house.

5. You find the remnants of the explosion.

Am I correct? You did not notice the explosion; it happened in your absence, right? No one else went to the car and might have handled the light, right?

elgarak,

That is pretty close.

3: At the beach having fun
4: Get back to the car and drive to town
5: Drive from town back to beach (sun has set); grab KL3 and find it dead so I take the L5 on the walk.
6: Get home and take lights inside; notice KL3 is damaged

No one else handled the light, that is correct. It was in a lined tray in the armrest alongside the L5. The car didn't go faster than 35mph, and was driven to/from my beachhouse to the beach to the town, etc. The first time I noted an issue was #5- the KL3 didn't light. I wasn't sure what could have happened but didn't have time to investigate until I got home later that evening.

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened

I think the tailcap might be a factor, it has some kind of strobe function?

If there is any circuitry in there, it is possible that a small current leakage has taken place and started the discharge process in the cells.

I recall that the switch on the C & D size maglites also has a habit of creating a current path when there should be none (I have had a couple of large maglites with leaking Alkaline cells, and only recently thought that a switch fault may be the cause).

Lithium cells do get hot when they discharge, sometimes unevenly - the 6 cells in my SF M6 seem to get warm/hot at different levels after heavy use, rather than equally warm, could be down to different internal resistances on the cells.

Without knowing the whole story, and being able to forensically recreate the incident, speculation may lead to several conclusions, but any component that has been modified from its original design or state of integrity should be treated with some small degree of extra care, just like the warnings about over discharging unprotected cells.

I know the warnings about not mixing new/old cells, and different brands are usually printed on battery powered items, but as a community that generally runs devices and their batteries right to the edge of the performance envelope, I'm sure we're all more aware than the aerage consumer of the dangers that can result from ignorance or carelesness.

*Retired*

Chronos said:
elgarak,

That is pretty close.

3: At the beach having fun
4: Get back to the car and drive to town
5: Drive from town back to beach (sun has set); grab KL3 and find it dead so I take the L5 on the walk.
6: Get home and take lights inside; notice KL3 is damaged

No one else handled the light, that is correct. It was in a lined tray in the armrest alongside the L5. The car didn't go faster than 35mph, and was driven to/from my beachhouse to the beach to the town, etc. The first time I noted an issue was #5- the KL3 didn't light. I wasn't sure what could have happened but didn't have time to investigate until I got home later that evening.

How much time was there between 1 and 5?

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast

Around 1: 12 noon to 5: 8 pm when I noticed the light was not working.

Last edited:

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm more interested in the time between 4 and 5. Could it be that the tailcap was set to ON after you found it dead, and the explosion occured while you were on the walk?

unnerv

Enlightened

I am bothered that in both this case here as well as the experience with the HD45 that the owners report that the lights were turned off and the event came about after these lights were turned off.

I think the tailcap might be a factor, it has some kind of strobe function?

If there is any circuitry in there, it is possible that a small current leakage has taken place and started the discharge process in the cells.

I am inclined to believe the tailcap is a factor also. I haven't been up on the HDS stuff but doesn't the HD45 have a small draw to power a circuit to monitor button presses like the ARC4?

If the G&P tailcap stobes, maybe that function had malfunctioned while put away, drawing power, and causing a drain issue. While I don't have any of their flashlight equipemnt, I have plenty of experience with their airsoft stuff, which is where they had their start. They have always produced knock off equipment for airsoft for when you couldn't afford the real thing. While their stuff was not bad, none of it was ever robust enough to consider using for real firearms. We tried once with a knock off of a hakko red dot scope on a .223. A real one was > $200 the G&P was <$100. Within about 50 shots the scope no longer functioned. While there is no direct corralation between the quality of scope and the tail cap, if I were to follow the trend and look for a point of failure in an otherwise high quality light, I would look 1st at the tail cap and then the battery.

Gary

Newly Enlightened

We got an "OPEX" (OPerational EXperience, I think) bulletin on this a few months back. It seems that they've started a few fires at nuclear plants (for example, this one). The result being that a lot of plants have banned "non-rechargable lithium batteries" for use in flashlights.

-Gary