Armytek Predator Pro V3 XP-L Hi Quick Take

Napalmhardcore

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking at Armytek lights but I'm a little bit unsure what the differences are between the Dobermann, Predator and Viking. Could someone enlighten me please.

MX421

Enlightened
I've been looking at Armytek lights but I'm a little bit unsure what the differences are between the Dobermann, Predator and Viking. Could someone enlighten me please.

Not much difference anymore on the Viking and the Predator. The Viking used to be floodier than the predator if I'm not mistaken. At least my 2.5 viking is floodier than my Predator LE, but the LE is supposed to be more of a thrower than the regular predators. The dobermann has a smaller head and less throw. All are one 18650 lights.

You didn't ask, but the Barracuda throw further than all of the above, has a very large head (64 versus the 41mm head of the predator/viking. It can run off the one or two cell tubes that come with it.

Napalmhardcore

Newly Enlightened
Not much difference anymore on the Viking and the Predator. The Viking used to be floodier than the predator if I'm not mistaken. At least my 2.5 viking is floodier than my Predator LE, but the LE is supposed to be more of a thrower than the regular predators. The dobermann has a smaller head and less throw. All are one 18650 lights.

You didn't ask, but the Barracuda throw further than all of the above, has a very large head (64 versus the 41mm head of the predator/viking. It can run off the one or two cell tubes that come with it.
Thanks. I'm pretty new to the world of flashlights. I currently have a Thrunite TN12 2016 and a Ti3. I am currently eyeing up something with a bit more throw to impress the friends I don't have :laughing: and Armytek and Eagletac are the ones that currently have my interest. It will be interesting to try something with a different emitter from the TN12, so I'm interested in something with an XP-L HI.

MX421

Enlightened
Thanks. I'm pretty new to the world of flashlights. I currently have a Thrunite TN12 2016 and a Ti3. I am currently eyeing up something with a bit more throw to impress the friends I don't have :laughing: and Armytek and Eagletac are the ones that currently have my interest. It will be interesting to try something with a different emitter from the TN12, so I'm interested in something with an XP-L HI.

LOL,

If you are just looking to impress and not practicality (at least for most people), then get a Barracuda, or Olight Javolet they are pure throwers. Eagletec (already on your list) also has a thrower, although i don't remember the model number. Hell, even a Convoy C8 would be more than most people have...

Napalmhardcore

Newly Enlightened
LOL,

If you are just looking to impress and not practicality (at least for most people), then get a Barracuda, or Olight Javolet they are pure throwers. Eagletec (already on your list) also has a thrower, although i don't remember the model number. Hell, even a Convoy C8 would be more than most people have...
I'm more interested in something like the Predator or Viking. I like the form factor and general look of that kind of light. If I get addicted I may end up looking at some of the ultra throwers in future, but right now I'm just looking for something a little bit bigger than the TN12 with more of an emphasis on throw. I was originally looking at the Thrunite TC10 but I want to experiment with other brands and I don't think the performance of the TC10 would be very much different to that of the TN12.

Last edited:

Aldiggi

Newly Enlightened
Besides my little rant about the ring very happy with my lights. I love the style, look and performance of Armytek. A lot of the other lights look alike. The ATs are very distinguishable.

Aldiggi

Newly Enlightened
https://vimeo.com/153327246

Tail cap performance is among the best I have ever tried. In low light tactical training you are trained to use quick burst of light when doing a room entry to view your surroundings and possible adversary. Here is just a little example of the PP

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's where I took my Barracuda. A chance that it was in reduction one day. 19.00can for shipping, 35.00 can for the duties.... That's why I don't buy often from the USA.

I took my PP and DB from MacOutdoors in BC.

I bought my mc3000 from Asia, 125 can, free shipping and no duties.

There is no taxes on purchases under $1000 at the moment in Australia at the moment.

The 10 percent GST is set to kick in on purchases in about a years time.

How come you have no charges when buying from Asia.

CHEERS

SVT-ROY

Enlightened
Nice beams hots gyzmo2002.

Does anyone have on opinion on this vs Olight m23J? I'm loving the look and thinking of grabbing one.

Aldiggi

Newly Enlightened
4984a26b67acaa4f1b1d06106cb58aac.jpg

Here goes another beam shot [emoji106]. These are from my iPhone 6s Plus.

ven

Flashaholic
Cool pic, i have the same phone and find they do give a pretty good reproduction of what you see other than the extra light around the edges if makes sense. I find the tint/beam quite well re-produced to what my eyes see. Just high output lights over whelm it and it does dim it down some, throwers tend to get away with it

Thanks for sharing, i am getting itchy button fingers with the v3:D

What i would like is a special edition predator with the xhp35 hi.................what potential! Please listen armytek:)

Chagrin

Newly Enlightened
Re: Difference between the Viking and the Predator

There is definitely a difference between the aT PP LE XP-L Hi v.3 and the Viking Pro XP-L V.3.
They both share the same tube and tail cap the difference lies in the heads/reflectors, the Viking is (visually looking at and guessing) about 1/4 inch shorter than the PP , making the Viking Floodier, also the Viking doesn't have the rings around the Hot Spot like the PP.
Dont have a Doberman... yet so unable to compare.

Newb to the forum. You folks are amazing regarding knowledge of an LEDs to the point of rendering them almost mind boggling, so much info to digest.

My first real light purchase is the aT PPro XP-L Hi v.3 LE and I absolutely love it.
Yes it has the rings around the Hot spot (didn't notice until today after reading related threads here, I've owned it 2 months) has a well centered LED and no defects so far.

The UI, I'm still not totally clear on its operation. Until finding operation instructions here I tried what came with the light which says to 10x twist head with 1 sec delay to access taktical mode. Doesn't say where to add delay or weather on or off. Of course leaving me unable to access additional modes and frustrated/disappointed after many failed attempts.

Searching WWW and armyTek for correct manual/operating instructions provided no useful results.

If it wasn't for post at candlepowerforums by its generous members, I still wouldn't know how to access additional modes.
Reading of the defective units, the predator seems ok with minimal cycling through additional modes. Going to give it and the Vikings (bought 4 Xmas gifts) a good work out.

Thank You for the website
and I thank you members for sharing.

thinks im rambling on a bit much so ill depart.

PS... Im finding these Quality lights extremely addicting, im searching for that elusive perfect edc

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Difference between the Viking and the Predator

Chagrin-from what I know there are 3 different versions of the V3 firmware. That means 3 different number of head twists you need to do to access the other features. The first V3's firmware(I believe it was the first batch V3's)required just a simple 3x head twist from either tight to loose 3x or loose to tight 3x. The second version of V3 firmware required 5x head twist tight to loose 5x or loose to tight 5x. The third version firmware is the 10x head twist 10x tight to loose or 10x loose to tight. The new XPH35 HI likely has new firmware. I do not have any of the new XHP35 HI lights yet so Idk how they work. The Armytek site has the current manuals for their lights available in PDF format just go to the site click your way to which model light you have and on the product page there will be a manual link about halfway down the page. That said there is no way of telling which version firmware you got so you may have to try all 3 methods. If those fail try 7x tight to loose or 7x loose to tight. I am not 100% sure but I think I recall reading about a possible firmware update that was a 7 twist. Good luck