ArmyTek Predator (XP-G R5, 1x18650 2xR/CR123A) Programmable: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS +

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review Selfbuilt. Any thoughts on the High CRI option?
I just got the high CRI v1.2. The programming UI is a little challenging, but I think I have it down now. I was rewriting the manual in my own words as my own programming reference.... if it turns out OK I might post it in a new thread. I have found a few other things as well. I love programmable lights. Hopefully selfbuilt can review a v1.2 with a high CRI.

Phil40000

Newly Enlightened
Bought this light about a month ago and it has proven to be one of my best buys. The switch, light levels, and layout are perfect for what i use my lights for. The beam is a very tight flood which again suits me and goes much further than a lot of other bigger lights i own (almost as far as Fenix TK60). I bought a ThruNite Scorpion 2 with the 'Turbo' head and the XM-L beam is just too floody with no penetration compared to the Armytek. I am just so glad i read this review and decided to buy it, i have just sold my new Scorpion as (forgive the pun) it could not hold a candle to the Armytek as far as i am concerned. If i could only pick one medium/small (2 x 123cell) light then it would be this one. I am really picky with my gear but from the super low light levels to the smooth reflector this light does it for me.

Regards,

ArmyTek company HQ
Wat Wen Wong district
China

Only joking! Actually there is one big problem with this light and that is the fact that i need 4 weeks intensive training just to understand the UI. Setting it up is like being on that gameshow 'The krypton Factor' (remember Gordon Burns?) with its no margin timings and multi-twists. It is a portable DUI test for the masses, it does not even come with any instructions for chrissakes. I have fumbled through using Selfbuilts instructions as best i can but i am going to print off the instructions in broken no-sense translated chinglish from the ArmyTek site and get stuck in. The light still rocks though.

Vedak

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for this fantastic review! I've had my Predator for about a week now, although the batteries (18650) showed up just today. It took me about an hour to really grasp the menu (short term memory), but after playing with it for a few more hours I feel comfortable with it. Althought theres no way I will ever memorize the menu by heart.

I absolutely love this light! and was considering purchasing a second one with plane bezels to keep as a spare like in my edc bag.

I was also wondering, is there a way to know whether or not you have version 1 or 2 of this light? Mines shipped only two weeks ago, so I'm sure it's the second version. Although I'm still curious.

Thanks! :)

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I was also wondering, is there a way to know whether or not you have version 1 or 2 of this light? Mines shipped only two weeks ago, so I'm sure it's the second version. Although I'm still curious.
I have the original V1 (my review was completed before the first batch shipped). I know they updated the interface somewhat on later versions (1.2?), but I haven't tested one to compare.

Vedak

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply. Mines only shows "G109.01", the the missing "." after the G make any difference?

firelord777

Enlightened
Oh, man, sorry buddy, my apologies, the period after the G was a typo. Here, as long as it looks like this: G109.09, then you have the V1.2!

Again, my apologies,

Best wishes, Firelord777

NOREAT

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have the high CRI, the XP-G R4, or the orange peel version?

NOREAT

Newly Enlightened
TyJo:

I would assume that the OP has significantly less throw than the SMO?

How is the color for the high CRI?

Thanks!

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the color of the high CRI. It isn't as warm as my 4sevens Quark warm or the warm MCE emitter I put in my Fenix TK30. Tint is subjective obviously, so if you don't like warm tints you might not like it. I have heard some complain about how warm the HighCRI XPGs are, but I think they are great.

I ordered the smooth reflector and received a defective light so they sent me another one. The replacement had the OP reflector, I decided to keep it because I liked the beam and I have found I prefer a mix of flood (or larger hot spot) and throw in my lights rather then pure throw. It can definitely throw well, what it sacrifices in throw it makes up with the wider hot spot. If throw is very important for your usage I'd say go with the smooth reflector.
EDIT:
My only issue with the light was the tail switch was hard to activate and it would not tail stand. I solved this by using another manufacturers switch boot. Now the switch has the perfect feel IMO and it tail stands easily.

Last edited:

NOREAT

Newly Enlightened
So it is not nearly as warm as an incandesant? I love the warm tint of incans, and was hoping that this would be somewhat comprable-ish. So far, all the LED light I own (a pair of Mini-Maglite LEDs, and a Surefire G2X Pro) are much too blueish, to the point that I still like incan D-cell Maglites.:faint:

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
So it is not nearly as warm as an incandesant? I love the warm tint of incans, and was hoping that this would be somewhat comprable-ish. So far, all the LED light I own (a pair of Mini-Maglite LEDs, and a Surefire G2X Pro) are much too blueish, to the point that I still like incan D-cell Maglites.:faint:
I don't own any incans. I would say it is similar to an incan, but perhaps not as warm. Check this site out to get some comparisons.

NOREAT

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! That's a beautiful tint. I think this decides it for me!