ArmyTek Predator (XP-G R5, 1x18650 2xR/CR123A) Programmable: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS +

Phil40000

Newly Enlightened
I have used my Predator tonight to walk the hound and it is the light that ticks more boxes for me than any other i have. The throw is amazing but still with some useful spill, the low, low setting is one of the lowest i have seen in a light this size, the ergonomics are bang on and the light is really grippy due to the special coating used. I was using it tonight thinking how lucky i was ordering this light on a hunch after reading some reviews on here. Hell, the light even looks fantastic with the gold bezel etc. Whether it was superb planning or a bit of luck with several key factors coming together in one light i don't know but this is a great light.

VLAD1690

Newly Enlightened
This light looks awesome. I ordered one from the Armytek website a few days ago and paid via paypal. I haven't been sent an e-mail confirming my order or that the light has shipped. I sent an e-mail to Armytek and have not gotten a response. Should I be concerned or is this customary for Armytek?

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
This light looks awesome. I ordered one from the Armytek website a few days ago and paid via paypal. I haven't been sent an e-mail confirming my order or that the light has shipped. I sent an e-mail to Armytek and have not gotten a response. Should I be concerned or is this customary for Armytek?
I've contacted them a few times and they have taken between 1-3 days if I recall correctly. You can also send them a private message over at the marketplace and/or post in their forum. They might be backed up on orders, their posting activity at the marketplace has seemed to slow down. If you don't hear from them in a day or two I would start exploring other means of contacting them.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sold, BUT I wanna see some good comparison photos of the silver vs. black vs. gold bezels. anyone have some good shots of what all three look like next to each other?

also, this light lacks a rubbery grip feel, correct?

firelord777

Enlightened
I made a review comparing a gold OP and a black SMO, i can pm yoi if you would like to see some pics.

Basically, the gold is very shiny, elegant and attract's attention. The black looks very stealthy, sleek and well, the bezels haven't suffered a scratch from all the "testing" I do on the wooden part of my bed. Boy, are these things sharp for what theyre meant to be.

You'll like it, rest assured. Splendid piece of technology, although, something you should know about the finish is that:

Lets just say, I had some problems at home, and so I had quite a not so good adventure out in the city in the middle of the night. On my brief trip, lets say there are many hostiles I encountered, and so, I always had my predator in my hand, set to strobe, while my TK41 and other heavier lights were in my backpack. Needless to say, when I finally returned home, and after a small conversation with a LEO, I noticed the body of the predator had some paint smeared off. It was just some streaks of lighter black, and on my hand was filled of black paint. So lesson of the day here is , running from something is not a pretty smart answer, and exccessive sweat from your hands is not good for the predator's unique finish, although it is good at resisting scratches.

Best wishes, Firelord

firelord777

Enlightened
also, this light lacks a rubbery grip feel, correct?

About the feel,

Its a bit weird, in a sense that it is very smooth, but grippy at the same time. When I hold it underwater, it doesn't lose any grip, oh, and I know I mentioned above that sweat "tarnishes" the finish, but dont worry about water, I ve swam with the predator.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made a review comparing a gold OP and a black SMO, i can pm yoi if you would like to see some pics.

Basically, the gold is very shiny, elegant and attract's attention. The black looks very stealthy, sleek and well, the bezels haven't suffered a scratch from all the "testing" I do on the wooden part of my bed. Boy, are these things sharp for what theyre meant to be.

You'll like it, rest assured. Splendid piece of technology, although, something you should know about the finish is that:

Lets just say, I had some problems at home, and so I had quite a not so good adventure out in the city in the middle of the night. On my brief trip, lets say there are many hostiles I encountered, and so, I always had my predator in my hand, set to strobe, while my TK41 and other heavier lights were in my backpack. Needless to say, when I finally returned home, and after a small conversation with a LEO, I noticed the body of the predator had some paint smeared off. It was just some streaks of lighter black, and on my hand was filled of black paint. So lesson of the day here is , running from something is not a pretty smart answer, and exccessive sweat from your hands is not good for the predator's unique finish, although it is good at resisting scratches.

Best wishes, Firelord

About the feel,

Its a bit weird, in a sense that it is very smooth, but grippy at the same time. When I hold it underwater, it doesn't lose any grip, oh, and I know I mentioned above that sweat "tarnishes" the finish, but dont worry about water, I ve swam with the predator.
thanks a lot for all the information and input, you rock!

don't worry about PMing me pics, though, I've made up my mind to get the matte black finish based on what I believe was your review I saw last night (I'm pretty sure it was yours... it was the review with the bathroom illumination shots!) and that matte black looks good!

I'll probably buy an orange peel version in black for myself for Christmas. Thanks man! :)

firelord777

Enlightened
Ok bud, yes, that was the review, and you'll love your new toy, I'm sure of that!

Best wishes, Firelord

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Granted, ArmyTek is the first to offer three modes of regulation. But LED Lenser provides two modes on models equipped with the "Advanced" version of company's Smart Light Technology ("Advanced SLT"). From their website: "You can choose between the Energy Saving mode, which optimizes burning life, and the Constant Current mode with electronically controlled, continuous light output." ".."

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Granted, ArmyTek is the first to offer three modes of regulation. But LED Lenser provides two modes on models equipped with the "Advanced" version of company's Smart Light Technology ("Advanced SLT"). From their website: "You can choose between the Energy Saving mode, which optimizes burning life, and the Constant Current mode with electronically controlled, continuous light output." ".."
Interesting, I hadn't heard of this feature set before from LED Lenser. Hunting around for a review though, you can see from HKJ's overview of the M14 that it isn't really as advertised on the website (i.e. more like two differing step-down patterns). The Armytek light reviewed here offers three flat stabilized regulation patterns (including one step-down option).

Note by the way that this review is over a year old now. I know Armytek has since come out with additional models, but I haven't tested any samples as yet.

jamjam

Newly Enlightened
Really like this light especially the degree of customization it offer. However, anyone feels that the double o-ring make it really hard to twist the head for mode change? Even more so when doing multiple twist for setting up the advance setting. I removed the inner o-ring and its a lot easier to twist now, just worry if it will jeopardize the water-proofness of the light. I didn't get the nyogel since the UPS here refuse to let it on the plane, so I'm using nitecore silicon grease that I got locally. Anyone wanna share their experience regarding this issue?

firelord777

Enlightened
Hey jamjam,

HJK, IIRC, or might be wrong, but I just remember seeing someone that took out one o-ring and claimed it was much smoother and all. I think it will be just fine with one o-ring, but I remember mine was a bit resisting on the twists, so I put lube and it was good to go (as in smooth:))

Just saying here, cheers

Atakdog

Newly Enlightened
Just looked up the manual on their website. if you think new Eagletac lights are complicated go and read it yourself. This light should be the dictionary definition of programmable!
On another note; if anyone has this light, how long do you think it took you to initially set it up?

firelord777

Enlightened
It comes preset already, which is currently how I have mine set:) They did all the work for me, but different people like different things, so maybe you will set yours up differently. It's not as hard as I looks, I've played around with it a few times, but always went back to the original presets:)

Any other questions feel free to ask:D

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just looked up the manual on their website. if you think new Eagletac lights are complicated go and read it yourself. This light should be the dictionary definition of programmable!
On another note; if anyone has this light, how long do you think it took you to initially set it up?

About 2 hours. Once you figure it out it gets easier. I still need a manual to remember the sequence.
Understanding some of the terms is confusing. Example : "line 1 and line 2" should be "head tight and head loose". These directions helped me : http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...myTek-Predator
Time will tell but the Predator is one of my favorite lights.

jedibataru

Newly Enlightened
My Armytek Predator 1.2 looks different with in your pictures. Is any other models of Predator besides that in the pictures?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
My Armytek Predator 1.2 looks different with in your pictures. Is any other models of Predator besides that in the pictures?
Well, this review is almost 2 years old now, so it's quite likely the currently shipping predators have gone through some changes. I don't have any more recent information, though.

dajabec

Newly Enlightened
The circuit is basically the same, but the body has a few differences. I outlined them a while back at the following link budgetlightforum.com/node/7529

Mainly, the clip is tighter, the tailcap is flatly recessed not scalloped, and the head is wider (thicker bezel with same reflector).