ASPHERICS & SPEARING???

stallion2

Enlightened
Good choice.
AnAppleSnail did an excellent service to you posting that. I know, herasy saying this $12 light is so amazing. The quality isn't great, probably poor thermal path, it's not waterproof, threading is rough. But what it does do is give you an adjustable beam, a supertight throw to a pure flood. And the x2000 does that really well. If you want a light that a great adjustable beam (from spot to flood) at least try the x2000.
But we do need to talk about power supply (battery). 3aaa's are a pretty **** poor performer - there simply is not that much power in those little cells. Now they will work, and if you use fully charged nihm's you'll get a taste of what the light could be. But if you get that light in the 18650 flavour (rechargable lithium-ion cell) it'll run close competition for a low powered HID. The x2000 doesn't output loads of lumens (and you could even swap the emiter to really kick it up) but it puts its candella where you want them to go.
You could get the x2000 ($12) from dx, and a set of 18650s (2x$13) and a charger (??$16-$60).

i've already taken the first step. 6 weeks was a pretty long time to wait for DE's lights so i've ordered a Tiablo A9, the additional OP reflector and the aspheric head. even if it doesn't work that well for spearing i still have a kick-*** light that does something none of my others do. i'm hoping i can hold that aspheric head up to a bunch of my lights and then hopefully i can gauge what leds and power sources would be best.

stallion2

Enlightened
Pardon my ignorance but what is spearing? Google was not all that helpful.

I just assumed he was talking about spear fishing.

Geez I hope I got the right idea! That would be embarassing.

spearing fish...probably the most rudimentary form of fishing there is...even lower than netting. but not spear fishing w/ scuba or snorkling gear. we just do it at night from the front of our pontoon or fishing boat.

its legal only for garbage fish, not game fish...at least in Indiana.

when i do get a few of those x2000's i'll probably find a way to attach them to the spears.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
spearing fish...probably the most rudimentary form of fishing there is...even lower than netting. but not spear fishing w/ scuba or snorkling gear. we just do it at night from the front of our pontoon or fishing boat.

its legal only for garbage fish, not game fish...at least in Indiana.

when i do get a few of those x2000's i'll probably find a way to attach them to the spears.
Ah, thanks. Yeah those x2000s sound perfect. Mounting them to the spear sounds awesome. Would love to see some pics of that in action.

stallion2

Enlightened
asperics lens + spearing = great freakin' idea.

i tried my Tiablo A9 w/ the aspheric head this weekend. this plan has some major potential. this setup could use a little improvement however. i'm gonna need to get my hands on a slightly longer housing or some threaded collar that can mate the aspheric housing to the light slightly further out. i think another .25-.5" will get the beam just right. tightened all the way down the lense was giving me a tight beam showing the emitter's shape which i never figured would work for spearing. if i unscrew it until its 1 full turn from disconnecting then it gives me a beam that is almost perfect. i might be able to shim the lense out w/in its own housing to get the desired effect but haven't tried it yet.

i took several pics that i'll load later. i also held the lense housing to my M30 and was rewarded w/ a pretty amazing beam. it was goofy looking as hell the w/ the shape of the MC-E emitter but even w/ a tight focus it was covering enough area that it may serve as a good spearing light... provided i can find a way to mate them.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
aspheric lenses available form a few sources

ahorton (cpf) sells some,
kd / dx sell various sizes,
I've read a few people ordering from glass / lens suppliers

stallion2

Enlightened
i apologize for not getting pictures up, it keeps trying to get me to enter a link for the picture to an image-sharing site, which i know nothing about. i'd rather just upload directly to this thread. i'll figure it out sooner or later.

aspheric lenses available form a few sources
ahorton (cpf) sells some,
kd / dx sell various sizes,
I've read a few people ordering from glass / lens suppliers

thanks for the info, anytime i try to search 'aspherics' 99% of the returns are for aspherics used in a corrective vision or cameras etc. i'll definitely follow up on this.

what i would love to see (and i'm starting to think i should invent this myself) is an aspheric lense and housing that could be adapted to several different lights. i'm not sure how viable it is but i would think that there could be a series of collars that, all of which could mate to the back of the housing and then have threads at the other end that would allow it to be mated w/ a Surefire or an Olight or a Fenix etc etc. has anyone seen anything like this?

Latest posts