• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

ASTROLUX MF05 SBT90.2 Thrower Searchlight Group Buy - The Next BIG Thing

Zandar

Enlightened
The Astrolux mf05 (Does Size Really Matter) ?! Well that depends on your personal point of view. What is my point of view here you may ask? Well I don't know yet. (Yikes a little impatient arent we?) So if your interest is peaked please follow along with my humble little analysis(well really rantings)!
Having some time on my hands the other night,before the overnight shift at work and being inspired by my mentor, CPF'S famous flashlight reviewer, run4jc, I set out to quantify just what my view is

A viewpoint needs to be based on something discernable that I like to call "facts" or in today's World "alternative facts" if you Will.
Thankfully freeme has kindly provided us with some real World data, that I like to call "facts".

So just what are the facts? Well there a set of quatifiable measurements of the light. and here they are again for your perusal. Overall length is 426mm (16.77'") . bezzel o.d is 160 mm. And the battery Tube is 64 mm Wide were told.

Here's were the fun begins:
IFirst and foremost, I want to know just how fracking big the head is. It looks huge. am I right? But your Probably saying this guys nuts , because there's no way to measure it . And your right in thinking this, but what we can do is make a pretty good estimate, using Freeme's numbers and combining them with measurements garnered from the old compare and contrast magical method!

And all we need is a measuring tape and a similar flashlight( in this case the famous BLFgt light Will play the part quite well .let's dive right in. The problem is I need to know how long the dern battery tube is and I can"t measure it but I can measure the tube of the BLFgt. And since both lights use the same number and size of batteries , with presumably similar battery carriers both tubes should be similiar in size.
In this case the BLFgt tube is 134mm(5.26") give or take not including the thread length on both ends.
The tailcap which again is probably similiar in dimensions to the Astrolux is 28 mm in length (well the visible portion when screwed in anyway). Add it all up add you get 134mm (battery tube) + 28mm (tailcap)= 162mm . Drum roll please . Now the Astrolux mfo5 overall length is 426mm, So we have 426- 162= 264mm(10.39") of length left approximately for the head!

Wow I don't know about you guys but an approximately 10.4 inch head is huge in my book! And could mean a very front heavy light.
So just how much mass (weight) is aft of the head?
Welll similar battery tubes should have similar weight but
hold on here, the Astrolux Tube is approximately 10mm wider than the GT one. So another assumption (what my beloved wife used to say "be careful about making assumptions as they can make an a## out of you and me!) is in order here. If both models use the same size battery carriers then we could be looking at a battery tube with approximately a 9mm wall thickness. This would add some much needed weight to the rear of the light. Yikes I misplaced the rest of the weight measurements so...

To Be Continued
My conclusions;
At 3.4kg(7.49lbs) empty weight, the Astrolux MF05 is probably the heaviest production flashlight every made.

It has presumably the biggest head of any led based Production flashlight and as a consequence maybe extremely front heavy.

Maybe the tailcap has a puck of solid "lead"?

Size Really Does matter here.

And I'm in love , so I'm buying it regardless of logic.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Listed on Banggood: xxtps://m.banggood.com/Astrolux-MF05-SBT90_2-7500LM-2,500,000CD-Powerful-18650-Flashlight-with-Cooling-Fan-3162m-Long-Range-Super-Bright-LED-Searching-Light-p-1706988.html?rmmds=search#popupStatedetail

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
This just in an hour ago: Quote: "Deal is Alive"

Nice! Please send me very detailed instructions, because I tried but failed to add to cart and check out.

freeme

Enlightened
You should receive me pm (blf) by now.

Nice! Please send me very detailed instructions, because I tried but failed to add to cart and check out.

stingray3

Enlightened
Hi freeme I seen one of these in a video with a silver head. Is this an option to get?

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good news: Successfully ordered! 3 o'clock in the morning, I woke up after having a nice dream about violating my strict vegan diet, then I read a commentary on the Letter to the Hebrews, then I logged onto the BG webpage, I tried again, but the pre-order button was still greyed out, so I found my cart, I cleared the two items that I was unable to order, then I tried again, and this time I was successful!

Congrats my friend! 👍🔦🇺🇸

Good news: Successfully ordered! 3 o'clock in the morning, I woke up after having a nice dream about violating my strict vegan diet, then I read a commentary on the Letter to the Hebrews, then I logged onto the BG webpage, I tried again, but the pre-order button was still greyed out, so I found my cart, I cleared the two items that I was unable to order, then I tried again, and this time I was successful!
lovecpf

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Man, this thing is an absolute monster, and HID killer. I can't wait till you guys get yours in hand and report back. Can you imagine one of these things tuned by Vinh? Wow.

Exciting times Gentlemen.

freeme

Enlightened
It is going to be awesome. :twothumbs Do share your experience when you receive your light from Vinh.
Yes, Sir! 珞 I'm getting mine tuned by Vinh. The stock SBT90.2 is kind of floody at its tip. De-lens and focus adjustment by Vinh is a must.lovecpf

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
My freeme Group Buy order has been shipped by Banggood. I am so excited! After Vinh posts his thoughts about this light, I will probably order a second one from him.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tracking History
August 8, 2020, 5:01 am
Acceptance
CHINA
Your item was accepted at 5:01 am on August 8, 2020 in CHINA.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like mine is not in China anymore.

Inbound Into Customs
Your item is being processed by United States Customs.

August 20, 2020, 2:12 pm
Processed Through Facility
ISC SAN FRANCISCO (USPS)

Expected delivery Monday, August 24.

--------------
Practical flashlights may not be the most exciting. Exciting flashlights may not be the most practical. I like both kinds.

freeme

Enlightened
A few buyer have received.
It looks like mine is not in China anymore.

Inbound Into Customs
Your item is being processed by United States Customs.

August 20, 2020, 2:12 pm
Processed Through Facility
ISC SAN FRANCISCO (USPS)

Expected delivery Monday, August 24.

--------------
Practical flashlights may not be the most exciting. Exciting flashlights may not be the most practical. I like both kinds.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got mine from the freeme Banggood group buy. Thank you, freeme, Astrolux and Bangood!

Now for the hard part: Waiting nine hours for the dawn of the flashlight day.

//Edit: Brief update: Still seven hours until flashlight time. The tint on mine is not CW. Definitely warm. I am personally all good with either.

Also, please don't forget to remove the protective plastic lens cover. There is a small tab at the edge that can be pulled to remove the protective plastic. There is no printing on it, so it took me a few minutes to see that it was there.

-------
Normal people walk around with big dogs. They look normal. I walk around with big flashlights. My flashlights have bitten less people then Teds' dog.

Last edited:

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
467 posts on this light in another patch of ground somewhere else; one tenth of that here. :confused:

Well, anyway, at 500 to 750 meters, this light puts notably more light on target than K75. For anyone wanting notably more than the K75, it takes more weight and size. In this case, it is well worth it.