• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Auction for a LL-III (Larry Light- CR2)

McGizmo

Flashaholic
welcome johnlightsup!

You have 1 year on me but I'm still a juvenile at heart! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Just ask Sasha.... on second thought, let's not bring this to her attention. She has a whip and......

Anyway, good luck with your bid for this light!

- Don

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF, Johnlightsup ! What a great entrance /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Atomic6, that's a cool graphic you put together, but you're too kind putting my handle up there.

The inspiring was done by all of you fellahs: the modders, aspiring modders and modification fans who make this and the Homemade & Modification Forums so fascinating and envigorating.

I supplied the cheekiness to send Don the light and a tiny check to pay for a loop of solder and dab of epoxy and asked him to pitch in all his knowhow and labor, an emitter, an optic, Dat2zip's sammich, and (as I see here) his last head from Larry (tvodrd) and then donate it to CPF after he took out what he absolutely needed to replace his inventory.

Don tackled it with his customary alacrity, enthusiasm and ingenuity and.... here we have it!

All of you fellahs have been contemplating how to hot-rod Peter's slick little AA Roadster and when I saw what Katokichi did and read that Don didn't have an Arc AA yet...well, I let my cheekiness have a loose rein.

Thanks to Sasha and the others who keep CPF available to us all.

It's great to see all the enthusiasm for the Larry Light II.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

BC
PS: Don, I have an extra Inova X1 and I was thinking that there sure is alot of room in the body... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Ray,

The sandwich is epoxied in and a solder lead goes from the back end of the head to the PCB. The Optic is accessible by removing the front bezel cap but since it's a turned down optic, one would need another custom optic to replace it. I think this light should be considered as is. The mineral glass window is easily replaceable should it be damaged as are the O-rings. This light is a MOD and not a specifically designed light with swappable modules like the original LL CR2 or the FireFly. The converter and LED can be destructively replaced if required for some reason. I could have left the sandwich loose but chose to improve the ground path as well as thermal path by a "permanent" method of install. I should add that I also needed to turn a reduced diameter shoulder on the emitter board of the sandwich to get it up to meet the Fraen Optic.

Without going into boring details, both Larry and I have destroyed perfectly good LL CR2 heads in an attempt to mate the Fraen with the sandwich. The dang O-ring groove doesn't leave enough wall thickness for a simple approach. I *had* another spare LL-CR2 head prior to this mod attempt; one gave up its life for this light to become a reality. Well it was my fault. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I want to reiterate that this light is a "mod". The Arc AA tube where it was cut has a lip of raw Al. This is a cosmetic issue that can be taken care of with instant anodize, AKA Sharpie. There is only one of these on the planet and I don't think either Larry or myself have any plans of seeing that number increase! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I suppose the singular nature of this light gives it a collectable value. It is also a good functioning light that's pretty cool!

- Don

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Two CR2 heads, born of a marriage of the same alloy 145 Cu and 7075 T6 Al bars are together again, killed by impatient modders. May they rest in peace. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

Larry

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey...!

You`d better watch it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

The confessions you two are publicly making are bringing you closer and closer to criminal indictments in the world of the CPF.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hey Carpe,

Larry and I have some other ideas we're pretty sure *might* work. All we need is a willing patient. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I see in your sig line that...............

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
Hey Carpe,

Larry and I have some other ideas we're pretty sure *might* work. All we need is a willing patient. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I see in your sig line that...............

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey...
Hey...!

Let`s go for it...
NOT!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
With apologies to all for engaging in the "Joy-Of-Being-Off-Topic", here`s the latest update:

1) "Johnlightsup" is in the lead, with a bid of $350.00.
Welcome aboard, Johnlightsup! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

2) But still a lot of time to go...and the "usual
suspects", plus some other new players, are lurking
as we speak.

Raindrop...?
JohnSidneyB...?
Batterystation...?

Be alert Johnlightsup...
And good luck to all!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Carpe,

Thanks for the re-cap! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ray,

I don't have a FireFly to look at but I doubt if the Arc AA could fit since the FireFly is a 123 sized light as I recall. If you compare the body diameter of the E1e/KL1 pic next to this light, I think you'll see what I mean. This light is roughly the diameter of a 123 cell.

- Don

johnlightsup

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the update. I am willing to bid higher if necessay.
A question if I may. I would kill myself if I tried to make a flashlight. Reasons are not that important. I am purchasing a 3 Led 3watt = 9 watts of LSIII to get more light and a longer thrown beam. Would someone explain to me
why a flashlight made with 6, 5w leds is not possible? Does
anyone know if Lumileds has plans to make a more powerfull
Led? Say 10 to 20 watts each. My background is Beef Processing an I know a light that is full spectrum, using less power and producing no heat would be well recieved in
both processing and retail sales. I am currently employed
by the Sharper Image and a replacenent for a 60 watt yellow
incadecent flood lamp would provide better light with a huge cost reduction in electricity, not to mention heat.
TSI sells a couple of led flashlights and the INOVA X5 plus
the 24/7. I wish the X1 would have had a 5w led with the
current focused lens. Would anyone consider making a much more powerfull LED flashlight? I need to consider the final cost and I will pay for both parts and your labour myself.
Thanks, John

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
hey john

it might be best it you were to make another post for your questions in the homemade and modified forum, so as not to distract from the auction here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Cool John and no worries! I have some answers to your questions and I will look for your post.

- Don

yclo

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
....Without going into boring details....

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif