Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I'll see it based on how it looks visually in the trailer.
However, the good and nature loving alien VS evil military human thing is a bit worn and heavy. I must admit I hated Ewoks but liked ALL of Star Wars, almost, but that's TOO off topic.

It'll get my money so my opinon means nothing LOL!

ypsifly

Enlightened
We have an IMAX where I work and it will be here!

There is no 3D like the IMAX format. We saw Under the Sea last winter and it was amazing.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
OK, I have just decided to travel 45 miles to the nearest IMAX theater just to see this movie. I would never have considered that with any movie.

BVH

Flashaholic
Nearest IMAX to me is about 165 miles :shakehead Sure would like to see it there but will probably just go to the local T here on opening day.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only use one eye at a time so 3D is a problem for me. Hope the story is good enough to watch if I can find it in 2D.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
where they never seem to be able to use a "Z". They can't quite come to terms with having lost the Empire, so they hang onto their "S."

Not so much that we want to hang onto our 'S', more likely that we know how to speak a correctly spelled word and therefore don't feel we need to simplify the spelling just so's we can understand how to pronounce it.
:p

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hope the story is good enough to watch if I can find it in 2D.

Don't count on it - still wondering if Kevin Costner is going to make an appearance in the film with a heard of space buffalo.

While technically Cameron has always been on the ball, he's about as deep as Michael Bay.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I recall seeing Polar Express in IMAX / 3D twice. The effect was stunning and seamless with CGI characters. The film sold out for months.

I was excited about Avatar, until I saw the trailer. Cheesy, big eyed aliens from Disney meant to draw empathy from the audience, and terran military units obviously borrowed from Peter Jackson's failed Halo project.

Sorry to be so negative, but Cameron is obviously a bit stuck on himself. He gets a new GF with each flick he directs, so in that respect I'm willing to help. To bad we're not going to see something really cool brought to the big screen like 'Ringworld' or something. Instead we get 'Dances with Wolves' on Dagobah.

Don't count on it - still wondering if Kevin Costner is going to make an appearance in the film with a heard of space buffalo.

While technically Cameron has always been on the ball, he's about as deep as Michael Bay.

You are repeating yourself. We are already clear that you are absolutely certain based upon seeing trailers that it therefore totally sucks...never mind the ongoing positive reviews. The rest of us will somehow have to suffer through enjoying it despite the killjoy assessments. Thank you, drive through.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091211/REVIEWS/912119998
http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117941773.html?categoryid=31&cs=1
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/avatar/
http://www.cinemablend.com/dvds/Avatar-2043.html
http://screencrave.com/2009-12-11/avatar-movie-review/
http://www.flixster.com/movie/avatar
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/reviewsnews.php?id=61567
http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.a...7941779&grpId=3659174697244816&nav=Groupspace
http://www.empiremovies.com/2009/12/10/avatar-movie-review/

OK, got my IMAX ticket for 3pm show next Friday. Big W00T

Last edited:

Seb71

Newly Enlightened
At one point in the trailer it is explained to us that the reason the humans invade the alien planet is an anti-gravitational mineral (probably the floating islands seen in the trailer are made from that mineral) that sells for 20.000.000 a kilogram. But I have a question: how do you weight an anti-gravitational rock?

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
We are already clear that you are absolutely certain based upon seeing trailers that it therefore totally sucks...never mind the ongoing positive reviews.

I'll take critical skepticism over a yet to be released film over the more annoying types that stand in line before the they've seen a film proclaming how awesome it is. The later should be reserved for giggling teen girls going to see Vampire flicks, but perhaps I'm wrong.

The critics you've listed, including Ebert, are easily amazed types that have given films like Star Wars: Phantom Menace four stars as well.

Cameron will likely make his loot, and while I liked 'Titanic' and hauled around an xpensive set of CAV format laserdiscs of 'The Abyss' long before DVD's came out, I just don't get why Cameron gets this kind of hype. If he's 'King of the World' then Michael Bay is god emperor of the universe. At least use a story other than one I read in 'Heavy Metal' back in 1980.

Let me guess...the bad guys in this film will all be white, American, and many appearing in previous Cameron films. The aliens will have big eyes and be marketed at McDonalds. !Bing, bing bing, Bing!

Last edited:

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
But I have a question: how do you weight an anti-gravitational rock?

Turn the scale upside down. In other words attach the scale upside down to the underside of a table. Then place anti-gravitational rock under the table right below the scale.

Seb71

Newly Enlightened
Based on the trailer, the reading will be zero by using the upside down scale. The rock in the trailer (and also the floating islands) is stationary (I mean that it is not gaining altitude - it just floats). And even if it did gain altitude, you would measure the ascensional force of the rock (anti-gravity force), not it's mass.

A better line would be: "this little gray rock sells for 20.000.000 a liter" (or some other price per unit of volume).

Or "20.000.000 for a piece of rock that can carry 1 kg of cargo in Earth's gravity" or something like that.

I am assuming that the mineral in question has anti-gravitational properties and it is not just a super light density mineral that floats in the air because of that (like a hot air balloon).

Last edited:

bstrickler

Enlightened
Based on the trailer, the reading will be zero by using the upside down scale. The rock in the trailer (and also the floating islands) is stationary (I mean that it is not gaining altitude - it just floats). And even if it did gain altitude, you would measure the ascensional force of the rock (anti-gravity force), not it's mass.

Why would it be gaining altitude in a place with no gravity, when there's no gravity for it to push against? Or are you accounting for the gravity that objects themselves have? If that were the case, it would be rising EXTREMELY slow. The wind would affect it more than the gravity from the aliens & objects.

~Brian

Seb71

Newly Enlightened
Why would it be gaining altitude in a place with no gravity, when there's no gravity for it to push against?
That scene is supposed to take place on the alien planet (he says: "this is why we are here"). Or maybe he is on Earth; in any case, he does not seem to be in space, in a spaceship (or if he is on a spaceship at that moment, then this spaceship has artificial gravity). When we are shown the floating rock, the character played by Giovanni Ribisi is sitting on a chair, he is not floating around (also look at the various objects in the room - everything suggest an environment subjected to a gravitational force). The only thing that is floating around in that scene is the alien rock. There is the gravity of the planet. Also the floating islands are on the alien planet not somewhere in space (so they are subject to the gravity of the planet).

Last edited:

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
At one point in the trailer it is explained to us that the reason the humans invade the alien planet is an anti-gravitational mineral (probably the floating islands seen in the trailer are made from that mineral) that sells for 20.000.000 a kilogram. But I have a question: how do you weight an anti-gravitational rock?

Kilograms don't measure weight, they measure mass. If it accelerates at 1 m/s^2 when hit with a 1 N force, it has a mass of one kg.

Of course, it's not at all clear how a rock with positive mass can be weightless in a normal gravitational field, but given that it does, the notion of selling it by the kg makes perfect sense.

Seb71

Newly Enlightened
I know that kilogram is the unit for mass.

That was my initial question: How do you know that you have x kilograms of that mineral? How do you determine the mass of a rock with anti-gravitational properties?

I used the the term "weight" with the meaning of "determining/measuring the mass of one object" (founding how many kilograms it weights).

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you all really debating how to measure the mass of a purely fictional substance? This is a movie, not real life. You might as well be arguing about how long the average unicorn horn is...