Backup replacement functionally similar to D11/EX11?

iamasmith

Newly Enlightened
I got a Nitecore D11 about a week before the updated D11.2 was announced, in fact I'm pretty sure that the new product was announced whilst the D11 was still in the post to me.

Anyway, I've found the light to be a great little backup light but it does tend to spend a long time at the bottom of my bag with an Eneloop in it which is almost always drained when I want to use it and therefore I think the enhanced power management feature of the D11.2 would have been perfect for me for this torch.

Anyhow, I'm now looking for a new gadget and had initially considered getting an EX11.2 because it ticks the box of prolonged inactivity and has pretty much the same UI as the D11 with it's continuous adjustment and nice SmartPD tube but I was wondering if I should be going to something that's CR123 based or should I be stepping up a little and going for something a bit bigger that takes 18650s if I want to use rechargeable (which I do). I can't see anything stating that the EX11.2 is suitable for use with RCR123s.

What's are the general thoughts given I'm looking for similar functionality to the D11, would like a little more throw, want to stick with rechargeable and want something that can sit with a battery fitted for a while with negligible drain? An additional plus would be having that nice SmartPD system of course.

Andy

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about something with an infinitely variable control run like the Sunwayman V10a or V10r. If you got the XPG version the throw is good for its size.
Jetbeam RRTO Also has the variable control ring but costs a little more

I own the Ex10 and D11.2 and I bought them for the Trit slots. Only ever got a Trit in the ex10 LOL
There fun UI but I found I don't use them either ;)

Last edited:

iamasmith

Newly Enlightened
I'll take a look at the Sunwayman specs. The RRT-0 looks enticing but a few here, and I'm mindful of their opinions, suggest that it just doesn't seem to be a safe thing to draw that much power off an RCR123 for the turbo mode of the RRT-0.

I'm taking a look right now and liking what I see of the Sunwayman V20C - it's quite a step up but still a pretty reasonable price. Trawling reviews next on that one I guess. Any other suggestions are welcome of course and comments on the inactivity efficiency would be great. :)

iamasmith

Newly Enlightened
That Sunwayman V20C with it's pitched 6 YEARS of idle time on an 18650 and those features has really got my attention. Any owners know any gotchas about this light?

iamasmith

Newly Enlightened
But I'm now wondering if the T20C would be more sensible due to more predictable run times with fixed settings... decisions, decisions :p

aimxplode

Enlightened
I have an RRT-0 XPG-S2, and I recently bought a second one for my brother. Awesome light, and Goinggear has the XPG-S2 version available for around $80 shipped using the cpf discount. Well worth it.

iamasmith

Newly Enlightened
But now I'm thinking it's best to exclude the T20C because it has a Strike Bezel and I live in the UK. Also I make occasional business trips to California and wouldn't want to raise too much interest at the Airport if I had it in my carry on baggage.