• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Baltics are here!

Maximum

Enlightened
Wow! Hope I will receive mine soon. Ordered 18 of this month, waiting is almost over!
Can't wait!

Galiphrey

Enlightened
What's the rationale of using a Lux-III in the Baltic? Isn't a Lux-I more efficient at these low levels?

vortechs

Enlightened
Galiphrey said:
What's the rationale of using a Lux-III in the Baltic? Isn't a Lux-I more efficient at these low levels?

I don't know, but it does make it easier to overdrive them.

Grubbster

Enlightened
Got home today and found a package in my mailbox. Here are pics:

P8310036(Small).JPG

Left to right: dorcy 1AAA, minimag, gerber, matterhorn, pacific 1AA pocket, pacific 1AAA, baltic N cell.

P8310037(Small).JPG

Left to right: dorcy 1AAA, minimag, gerber, matterhorn, pacific 1AA pocket, pacific 1AAA, baltic 1AAA (they don't have brass yet)

P8310038(Small).JPG

Left to right: dorcy 1AAA, minimag, gerber, matterhorn, pacific 1AA pocket, pacific 1AAA, baltic 2N cell.

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Galiphrey said:

Hey fellow Georgian (I'm here in Cumming!), I believe that one of the key factors in the efficiency equation is exactly what is available to the maker. I spoke with K/Curt and he ran through some lux figures of lux1's vs luxIII's the results were overwhelmingly in favor of the luxIII's but we didn't speak about specific bin codes or anything. The baltic and pacific run the led at lower than usual currents , current levels typically overlooked by cpfers (and cpfers who have tested efficiencies). So, while this could be a case of performance variances based on signifigant bin differences, K/Curt was certainly proficient enough in his craft to realize how worthless a test like that would be so I tend to believe that his testing (if unrelated to slight variances in die height-joker vs non joker LEDs) is showing that the luxIII's have a bit more umph at lower currents.

Galiphrey

Enlightened
Thanks for the info, Xochi. More umph, got it. :) (Yep, Cumming's not far; in fact I work with a guy from there.) K/Curt is a Peak engineer, I presume?

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Uhhh, ya know, he was handed the phone when I began to ask technical questions, but I really don't know if he's an engineer or not. Maybe he just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express the night before:confused: . I certainly do get the impression that he hangs out there alot :grin2:.

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the pictures; I believe I see an "N" cell in my future!

jeffb

RobynS

Newly Enlightened
xochi said:
Uhhh, ya know, he was handed the phone when I began to ask technical questions, but I really don't know if he's an engineer or not. Maybe he just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express the night before:confused: . I certainly do get the impression that he hangs out there alot :grin2:.

Curt is Peaks technical guru, he does our designs, electrical and mechanical..he is Peak..as I am...Holiday Inn Express???? Totally confused!!

Robyn

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Grubbster said:
I just ordered a Baltic in brass from Peak. The Baltic uses a TWOJ led and the same electronics as the Pacific. The head is smaller in size and they told me they are about the same size as a Matterhorn head, maybe slightly larger. You can also choose your drive level like the other models. I chose a high power which should be putting out about 110 candlepower. It uses a 17mm reflector (IMS?) which is cut down to 13mm and covered by a lens (plastic?). It has the same construction as the Pacific. The electronics screw in from behind. Should have a nice wide beam. The bodies that will be available are N cell, 2xN cell, AAA, and I think 2xAAA. I think all the bodies are currently available in HA and stainless. The brass just has the N cell available with the AAA bodies following in a couple of weeks.
You have to call Peak directly to order. They said the website will be updated in a few weeks. I am not even sure exactly what these things look like, but I know they will be keychain sized. I should get mine by the end of next week and I will post some pictures.

How much do the Baltic's cost?

Grubbster

Enlightened
brotherbob said:
Where are the pictures of the LLR44 configuration?? I am getting desperate.
If you are talking about the hearing aid size batteries, I don't think those are finished yet.

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
where are the beamshot pix???

what are the runtimes compared to the Pacific?

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received the Baltic today and am impressed.

The quality is very good as well as the beam quality. Compared to the Pacific the head is much smaller and the length is ever so slightly shorter. Here are some pictures

IMG_0904a.jpg

IMG_0911a.jpg

IMG_0912a.jpg

IMG_0908a.jpg

IMG_0910a.jpg

I do not know runtimes at this point and do not have the equipment in house to test for brightness but will post beam shots for comparisons. For the record this is a Ultra so I would expect a relatively short runtime. (I like bright)

The first picture is the Baltic in front of the Surefire battery and the Pacific is in front of the blue battery. The 2 AAA option is in front of the CR2 and that is beside the 2 AAA option for the Pacific.

Second and third picture is comparing the Matterhorn with the Baltic.

The fourth and fifth picture is comparing the L0P.

I will be provide some beam shots and further thoughts when it gets a little darker.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like I'm going to have to post beam shots Thursday night provided I can get on the CPF. I want to be accurate and want to have fresh batteries in all the lights for a group shot. I will post a comparison or group shot with the Ultra Matterhorn, Pacific, Fenix L0P and Baltic Ultra.

Peter Atwood

Enlightened
My buddy Brian showed up this past weekend with a Baltic and a Pacific. I'm very impressed with these lights and am chomping at the bit to order a couple. To me the Baltic in HA ultra power with AAA body was a perfectly sized little pocket light with excellent tint and throw. Peak has really taken some steps up with these and I think they will be a long lasting product.

One comment to Peak, I like the additional machining on the head as it helps in turning on the light one handed. Would love to see some knurling as well however for that little bit of extra positive engagement. I have to say though, that the body knurling has been improved on these over your older lights. You guys are on the right track! :)

Peter Atwood

Enlightened
One more comment to Peak...I really wish you guys had more info on your website. Why don't you have write-ups with each product spelling out all the specs? It needs to be on the product page with each piece. I'd like to see the options, outputs, runtime, weights, etc. It would make it so much easier for your customers to compare your products. I am a big fan and have purchased many pieces in the past but it has not been quite as easy as it ought to have been.

Latest posts