• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Baltics are here!

brotherbob

Banned
No baltic for this house. That thing is way too long for a keyring light. this will not be a big seller. If it was a lug style it would be close to being usable.

jburgett

Newly Enlightened
brotherbob,

I received by Baltic recently, and while the AAA body with the replaceable keychain end is a bit long, the N-cell body is nice. It was small enough for me to replace my Photon Freedom Max as my keychain light.

Of course I am eagerly waiting for the AAA lug body to be available.

Cheers!

Grubbster

Enlightened
brotherbob said:
No baltic for this house. That thing is way too long for a keyring light. this will not be a big seller. If it was a lug style it would be close to being usable.
Peak is also coming out with a body that takes a couple of hearing aid batteries. IIRC total length with head around 1.5 inches. Put that on your keychain! Should be available in the next few weeks!

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
As promised here are some beam shots. I went out and bought a 4 pack of lithium AAA Energizer batteries so all light will be on a even par with each other. As I mentioned before I do not have a in house way to measure the brightness but as a means of comparison the Fenix L0P was measured using a intergrating sphere at LSI in Scottsdale AZ at 16 Lumens on 5/5/06 using a fresh Duracell battery. Given that another L0P was measured at roughly the same brightness I think it safe to assume this is a typical L0P regardless of Fenix lumens claims on there website.

First Picture is a group shot Matterhorn Ultra, L0P, Pacific and Baltic.
Groupzz.jpg

Second Picture L0P and Baltic: My pictures may not do justice here, The Baltic is brighter, warmer color and has better throw.
l0pbalticzzz.jpg

Third Picture Pacific and Baltic
Pacbalzzz.jpg

Fourth Picture L0P and 2 AAA Baltic
l0pBaltic2azzz.jpg

Fifth Picture L0P Baltic
IMG_0920zzz.jpg

I like the Baltic and look forward to seeing the different battery options when they become available. The quality of the manufacturing is very good and I like the way the light feels in my hand. I am also impressed how similar the hot spot is to the Pacific yet it has a much smaller reflector. I do like the beam quality and the brightness. I'm still amazed at what now can be accomplished using a 3 watt LED and a AAA battery.

I would like to encourage Peak to consider a lug style AAA battery pack option for this light. I believe the thought at this point is that the breakaway keychain style leaves open the option to use the momentary switch which is very nice but I also think there are a lot of people who would prefer a shorter light and would be willing to give up the momentary option to be able to keychain a smaller AAA light.

All and all very very nice!!

Last edited:

nocturnal

Newly Enlightened
Thank you very much for these beamshots and the other pictures, Lebkuecher. :) Now I'm pretty much convinced to get a Baltic, just not sure about the power versions.

Is the Pacific you used for comparison a stock (high power) one, or also an ultra power? To me, it looks like the Baltic has considerably brighter spill, and I'm wondering whether that is due to the smaller reflector, overall brighter output, or both.

Do you (or does anyone else) have an idea about the relative drive levels of the high and ultra power Baltics/Pacifics? My high power Pacific runs 4+ hours with the rechargeables I use before the output drops. If an ultra power Baltic would provide at least 2+ hours, I'd definitely go that way, I just hope it doesn't plummet as fast as the L0P seems to do.

On the other hand, with a level somehow below "high power", maybe it would be possible to achieve output and runtime similar to an ARC AAA-P, but with a Luxeon that would run pretty much forever at those drive levels without lumen loss. :thinking:

Last edited:

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
nocturnal said:
Is the Pacific you used for comparison a stock (high power) one, or also an ultra power? To me, it looks like the Baltic has considerably brighter spill, and I'm wondering whether that is due to the smaller reflector, overall brighter output, or both. :

The Pacific is a high power but the side spill is about the same as the Baltic. In fact I was surprised to see the beams so similar. The Baltic is a ultra so it is brighter then the Pacific. The one thing that really impressed me was when I attached the 2 AAA battery pack, I have no idea what the lumens are with this battery pack but it clearly blows away every light that I photographed. Hopefully Peak will post data on all the battery packs with the different versions.

nocturnal said:
Do you (or does anyone else) have an idea about the relative drive levels of the high and ultra power Baltics/Pacifics?
I don't, some figures where thrown out at the Phoenix get-together but I don't recall what they are.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now the magic question,
Are the Baltics available with red and UV Luxeon LEDs? I need to get some part numbers from their site to order these and they have not appeared yet. :(

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
brotherbob said:

welcome to cpf...
you may be surprised.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the pics! that Matterhorn Ultra looks impressive compared to the Pacific & Baltic. Does the Matt. have different battt. tubes like the Baltic?

I like my Pacific and am getting a stainless AA tube. I am thinking about the new Baltic, yet It appears that that AAA Baltic is not as bright as the AAA Matt.
any insight here from more illuminated minds would be great!

Peter Atwood

Enlightened
The Matterhorn is an awesome little keychain light. The smallness is great on my keys but for a pocket light that is easy to operate with one hand, the Matterhorn is a little difficult to turn on. The Baltic has a bigger head, a little extra length and the threads were decent on the one I played with so I think it will be a lot easier to grip and actuate with one hand.

The Matterhorn has more of a flood beam while the Baltic has much better throw and color tint.

vortechs

Enlightened
tsask said:
Does the Matt. have different battt. tubes like the Baltic?

The Matterhorn AAA body has the 3 different tail styles (lug, pocket, key chain) and comes in different materials (Black HA3 aluminum, bare aluminium, brass, stainless).

The only optional battery tube for the Peak Matterhorn for a different battery size (that I know of) is the semi-custom cutdown tube that is sized to fit one of AW's 10280 cells. This battery/tube combo is intended for Luxeon mods (however the 10280 Li-Ion cell does make the 3 LED Matterhorn head very very bright). See this thread for more info on the cutdown AAA tube: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/122632

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Called Peak about the Baltics and they are available in FIVE output levels! 50, 75, 100, 175 and 230 candlepower so I had to ask "What is the power draw on the battery at 230cp"? The answer was 1.5 watts of power draw so I did the math at 1.25 amps off the battery. Time for some NiMH AAA love for that version. Uhhhhh, make my 230cp version stainless please :D

Did some flying pigs calculations and figure the T bin is probably running around 350mA to the emitter. A stainless steel 1xAAA Luxeon light that runs for a little over 30 minutes and has to use NiMH AAA to run? Mine will come with a 2AAA stainless body for longer runtime and brighter output as the SS Med 2AA's little brother.

Now for the HA-III lug body to appear when I want to use it on a lanyard.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm just curious about the people on the forum who have bought the Baltic and have used it now for a little time what you now think? What are your overall impressions now?

Personally I like the Baltic a lot and feel that it is worth every penny I spent. I bought the Ultra high power and it is incredibly bright for a AAA light. As far as I'm concerned I prefer the Baltic over the Fenix L0P mainly because of beam quality, throw, brightness and tint. I don't see much of a comparison, the only advantage to the Fenix that I can see is the overall size. (Please come out with a lug style Peak)

I was walking through the house and outside last night playing with some lights and it just got woundering if other people feel the same as me. What do you like and dislike about the Baltic?

BrightIdeaOSU

Newly Enlightened
I received my Baltic the other day. After using it for a day or so, taking it outside, and using it for some minor electrical work, I think I can endorse the light. WIth either 1AAA alkaline or 2, it is bright enough for most tasks, even splicing wires with a great deal of spill light from the sun getting in the way. I was kind of surprised that the beam looks much like that of the Pacific; I was expecting something with a bit more flood. Nonetheless, the spill part of the beam is a bit wider, and the dim, widest ring of spill is much brighter than the Pacific. For those not familiar with the pacific beam, it is a bit brighter than a 2AA mag with a much cleaner and whiter beam.

I got the torch in steel, with the 2AAA body being aluminum to save weight. It's very nicely made, but I have to agree with the other members of this forum; the single cell body needs to be available in a lug or pocket style to shorten it up a bit. The head is only marginally larger than a 3led matterhorn, so it's nice and small given the fact that it can be taken all apart and serviced, if need be.

--Aaron

Tajji

Newly Enlightened
Hi Robyn,

Are you paying attention to the "Lug" comments? In fact I am talking about all Peak lights. You could modify the "Pocket" body to include a lug with tail stand. Probably you've heard this comment a hundred thousand times. If it takes two hundred thousand times to convince you, we'll get it done.

We want lug, we want lug!!!!!!!

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
what level Baltic would equate to the runtime of a Pacific?

Lebkeucher, what level is your Baltic?