batteries for Nitecore TM26GT & Thrunite TN42

dreamtuner

Newly Enlightened
Hello Everybody! how are you doing? I am totally new to flashlights with old intents of being an addicted :p recently I have selected to buy 2 flashlights as titled. mainly nitecore for flood & thrunite for throw. so battery wise I think I have selected the right ones maybe? plz express your expert opinion(s) if any information seems incorrect or you just have a better suggestion! :)

for both the Nitecore TM26GT & the Thrunite TN42

-> (a). Nitecore NL1835 18650 3500mAh 3.6V.
-> (b). Nitecore NL189 18650 3400mAh 3.7V.
-> (c). Panasonic NCR18650B 18650 3400mAh 4.8A Protected Button Top.

-> (a) & (b) are to be bought from fasttech & (c) from imrbatteries (assuming both of the sites are legit)

like I said earlier, I am very new to this so plz bear with me. will I lose any performance using those protected batteries in any of the 2 flashlights? or both of them are designed for protected batteries only? thanks all!

DRAWs

Newly Enlightened
go with option C. Nitecore's battery wrapper is kinda thin and can get easy to get damaged. while the wrapper on NCR18650B was tougher because it's thicker

proceed5

Enlightened
hi dreamtuner,

I am using these cells:
https://www.fasttech.com/products/1...thentic-sony-us18650vtc6-3120mah-rechargeable
and these:
http://www.nitecorestore.com/Niteco...ery-2-Pack-p/bat-imr18650-nite-3100-35ax2.htm

BUT, the above IMR batteries are UNprotected. Therefore, you need to know when to shut off your Light completely, to prevent from Over-discharging.

The Nitecore TM26GT would need button top cells, but you will need to re-check the length of the cell to make sure it fits the TM26GT.
On the safer side, to accommodate that fussy Nitecore TM26GT, you should scout for the Nitecore IMR 3100 mAh Button Top Battery that usually ships with the TM28.
Here's the link: http://www.nitecorestore.com/Nitecore-IMR-3100-mAH-Battery-p/bat-nite-imr3100.htm

Cheers

Last edited:

dreamtuner

Newly Enlightened
hi dreamtuner,

I am using these cells:
https://www.fasttech.com/products/1...thentic-sony-us18650vtc6-3120mah-rechargeable
and these:
http://www.nitecorestore.com/Niteco...ery-2-Pack-p/bat-imr18650-nite-3100-35ax2.htm

BUT, the above IMR batteries are UNprotected. Therefore, you need to know when to shut off your Light completely, to prevent from Over-discharging.

The Nitecore TM26GT would need button top cells, but you will need to re-check the length of the cell to make sure it fits the TM26GT.
On the safer side, to accommodate that fussy Nitecore TM26GT, you should scout for the Nitecore IMR 3100 mAh Button Top Battery that usually ships with the TM28.
Here's the link: http://www.nitecorestore.com/Nitecore-IMR-3100-mAH-Battery-p/bat-nite-imr3100.htm

Cheers

proceed5 Thanks mate! I guess as a totally new idiot! I will better off with protected batteries :D because this whole thing is too new to me.

proceed5

Enlightened
proceed5 Thanks mate! I guess as a totally new idiot! I will better off with protected batteries :D because this whole thing is too new to me.

No worries mate and you're welcome.
Nah, we were all once a freshie in flashlights, so all of us have been through that stage.

Actually its not that difficult to use UNprotected cells. You see, one would know when the juice is running at extremely low levels.
That is, when the brightness output level drops and would usually not be able to ramp up to the next brighter level .
The TM26GT has a small screen upfront that is able to read-out the voltage level as you use the light.
On the TN42, the main power switch has a small LED indicator that blinks Red when it is time to change your batteries.
Hope these are helpful.

Good luck with your battery hunting and have fun with your flashlights

bwalker

Newly Enlightened
go with option C. Nitecore's battery wrapper is kinda thin and can get easy to get damaged. while the wrapper on NCR18650B was tougher because it's thicker

I concur with this battery recommendation as it coincides with the TM26 user manual which specifies protected button-tops.

However, you mention you're getting the Nitecore for "flood". The TM26GT is actually fairly throwy since "GT" I believe stands for "Great Throw". The standard TM26 is likely more floody than the "GT" version. Unless you're really looking for something specific that the TM26(GT) offers (e.g. onboard charging, support for CR123, small size, etc.) then you might consider the Acebeam X45 for flood.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I concur with this battery recommendation as it coincides with the TM26 user manual which specifies protected button-tops.

However, you mention you're getting the Nitecore for "flood". The TM26GT is actually fairly throwy since "GT" I believe stands for "Great Throw". The standard TM26 is likely more floody than the "GT" version. Unless you're really looking for something specific that the TM26(GT) offers (e.g. onboard charging, support for CR123, small size, etc.) then you might consider the Acebeam X45 for flood.
I agree with bwlaker on the TM26GT. If what you want is floody, look at the Nitecore TM06 or the OLight Mini Intimidator II. Both are designed to be more flood than throw, with the OLight being pretty much optimized for flood. Both still have a reasonable throw range.

dreamtuner

Newly Enlightened
thanks proceed5! :D now I am a bit more confident towards unprotected cells

Last edited:

dreamtuner

Newly Enlightened

I solely agree. but I like the TM26GT for the features it offers. besides I found it at $179 in andrew amanda while the tm26 is $10 off. is not it a good deal?

dreamtuner

Newly Enlightened
I agree with bwlaker on the TM26GT. If what you want is floody, look at the Nitecore TM06 or the OLight Mini Intimidator II. Both are designed to be more flood than throw, with the OLight being pretty much optimized for flood. Both still have a reasonable throw range.

excellent recommendations! but none of the flashlights offer the features TM26GT offers. I am kind of taken by the features of the TM26GT (must be a noob thing :D ) rather getting huge lumen output (which is more necessary for a flooder?). but I could not find a flashlight that meets excellent features with unreal lumen output yet :(

Last edited:

bwalker

Newly Enlightened
excellent recommendations! but none of the flashlights offer the features TM26GT offers. I am kind of taken by the features of the TM26GT (must be a noob thing :D ) rather getting huge lumen output (which is more necessary for a flooder?). but I could not find a flashlight that meets excellent features with unreal lumen output yet :(

Okay, if it's the features of the TM26 line that you're attached to then I would get the regular TM26 not the TM26GT (and you'll save $10). The TM26 does put up a great wall of light and is fairly compact. I have it and have used it occasionally as my EDC just for fun. The deal you found is great and probably the best you'll find. BTW, I use Protected button-top Panasonic NCR18650B cells in mine but there are many others that would work fine.

dreamtuner

Newly Enlightened
Okay, if it's the features of the TM26 line that you're attached to then I would get the regular TM26 not the TM26GT (and you'll save $10). The TM26 does put up a great wall of light and is fairly compact. I have it and have used it occasionally as my EDC just for fun. The deal you found is great and probably the best you'll find. BTW, I use Protected button-top Panasonic NCR18650B cells in mine but there are many others that would work fine.

thanks for the great help bwalker! for the batteries I am unsure but as proceed5 couraged me up, I may get a set of four just to be acquainted with them for long term coexistence with the protected ones. for charger I am currently getting nitecore D4. but I have my eyes on both the "Xtar VP4 Plus" & the "SKYRC MC3000".

bwalker

Newly Enlightened
The Liitokala Lii-500 and the Opus BT-3100/3400 are also very capable chargers you might consider.

dreamtuner

Newly Enlightened
The Liitokala Lii-500 and the Opus BT-3100/3400 are also very capable chargers you might consider.

it looks like they are. I will definately consider them when the time comes for my charger upgrade.

Triac

Newly Enlightened
I have the Nitecore TM26GT and have had difficulty finding decent batteries that fit. I have a number of lower capacity protected 18650's that fit (2300-2400mAh) but wanted something in the 2900-3500 mAh range to minimize opening and charging the 4 batteries (do not trust the supplied charge plug/wall wart setup). Got the Panasonic NCR18650B's but they are slightly too long to completely tighten the TM26GT and thus do not work for me. I also tried the LGGBM261865...still to long. The Samsung INR18650-30Q button-tops are too short to make consistent contact. Currently using unprotected LGDBMJ11865 batteries which keep contact for the most part but they rattle a bit in the holder. Do not want to spend the premium for Nitecore-branded batteries of unknown and/or changeable origin. Would like to stay with Samsung, Panasonic, Sony, etc. Unfortunately the design of the negative contact in the bottom of the battery tube is not the typical spring and does not have much play in it. That, with the fixed contact ring that forms the positive end in the head, does no leave much leeway for battery length variation. Battery tube on TM26GT seems to be designed for the slightly larger diameter of protected cells and their protection circuit. Any suggestions, insights or comments would be appreciated. Cheers!

dreamtuner

Newly Enlightened
I have the Nitecore TM26GT and have had difficulty finding decent batteries that fit. I have a number of lower capacity protected 18650's that fit (2300-2400mAh) but wanted something in the 2900-3500 mAh range to minimize opening and charging the 4 batteries (do not trust the supplied charge plug/wall wart setup). Got the Panasonic NCR18650B's but they are slightly too long to completely tighten the TM26GT and thus do not work for me. I also tried the LGGBM261865...still to long. The Samsung INR18650-30Q button-tops are too short to make consistent contact. Currently using unprotected LGDBMJ11865 batteries which keep contact for the most part but they rattle a bit in the holder. Do not want to spend the premium for Nitecore-branded batteries of unknown and/or changeable origin. Would like to stay with Samsung, Panasonic, Sony, etc. Unfortunately the design of the negative contact in the bottom of the battery tube is not the typical spring and does not have much play in it. That, with the fixed contact ring that forms the positive end in the head, does no leave much leeway for battery length variation. Battery tube on TM26GT seems to be designed for the slightly larger diameter of protected cells and their protection circuit. Any suggestions, insights or comments would be appreciated. Cheers!

there is a "flat top battery connector" provided with the new Nitecore Tm28. I saw it in a TM28 review. I think this might solve the issue?

bwalker

Newly Enlightened
I have used both the Nitecore NL189 protected and the Panasonic NCR18650B in my TM26 without issue.

Triac

Newly Enlightened
there is a "flat top battery connector" provided with the new Nitecore TM28. I saw it in a TM28 review. I think this might solve the issue?
It probably would, but was not supplied with my TM26GT. Can not find it as an option or accessory. The Nitecore web site talks about a "simplified" battery tube design with the 26GT so they probably eliminated it.

Latest posts