Batteries with low self discharge "LSD"

LittleBrownStain

Newly Enlightened
The link (above in the original list - first post) for Panasonic 'R2 Technology', has expired. (No longer valid). "Site Not Found".

Not so surprising, really. Panasonic makes the *worst* 'D'-cell adaptors I've ever seen. Thoroughly worthless junk. Rarely makes electrical contact with the AA cell within. Rarely meshes with outside contacts in various gear.

I hope Sanyo follows through (on their eneloop website) with their promise of making their own brand of 'C' and 'D' cell adaptors available 'soon', because a gentleman in here - from Japan - mentioned that he *has* some genuine Eneloop adaptors, and they are of top notch quality.

And THEN ........ (geeze)..... I just wish C and D eneloops (or any other LSD folks) would just start manufacturing low self discharge C and D cells *outright*, so that we could forget about the damned adaptors altogether!

With regular C and D size NiMH cells available all over the place, there's just *no excuse* for the delay of these sizes in low-discharge format!

--------------------
*EDIT* - Wow! I really ought to pay closer attention to what is being written in here! (Immediate posts above). [blushing red] :ohgeez:

Am going to be hounding the web for more info on these D size eneloops!
Gosh! It's enough to make one "EneLoopy", eh? :)

Last edited:

LittleBrownStain

Newly Enlightened
wasBlinded said:
I have 4 Eneloop 2000 mAh AA cells and 4 Ray-O-Vac Hybrid 2100 mAh cells that I exercised and capacity tested with the Maha C-9000. I'm going to let them sit a month and discharge test them. I'll then post the results. I'm sure Silverfox has a test going too, but I'm curious to find out how the Eneloops compare to the slightly higher capacity Hybrids in the self-discharge department.

The comparison is appreciated, wasBlinded. These two high-profile brands, in particular, seem to be causing the most interest - which of those two brands holds their charge the longest?

On present info, I think eneloop (currently) wins.

RayoVac Hybrid - after 6 months = 80% capacity; 70% after 1 year.
Sanyo Eneloop - after 6 months = 90%+ capacity; 80% after 1 year.

Of course, those numbers will be bounced around like a rubber ball in the upcoming year, as the LSD Wars begin! (about time too). :)

(I think regular NiMH technology is in trouble) ;-)

Stemlin

Newly Enlightened
Amondo claims 80% retention after one year for the Titaniums, according to this page:
http://www.amondotech.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1131
If true, this beats Rayovac and matches Eneloop but with a higher capacity (2100 vs. 2000). However, I'm skeptical since the Titanium cells have the same capacity as the Rayovac, have similar appearance (esp. at the terminals), and thus seem to be made by the same manufacturer. Anyone have more information about this?

A

AmondoTech

C or D size Enduro will be developed?
>>> I have a short answer and long answer.

The short answer is "no". The long answer will take a while to put my thought together to post. Will do this when I have time.

The market ratio between AA and all C and cells combine is like
99.99:0.01

Yes, it is that dramatic!

Regards,
Wayne
www.amondotech.com

jtr1962

Flashaholic
AmondoTech said:
C or D size Enduro will be developed?
>>> I have a short answer and long answer.

The short answer is "no". The long answer will take a while to put my thought together to post. Will do this when I have time.
Any chance of 9V Enduros? I would think there would be a decent market here since 9V primaries are expensive and lots of things such as smoke alarms and multimeters still use 9V batteries.

PhotonAddict

Enlightened
I figured market demand would be the reason... after all, the C & D cell NiMHs that are generally available from Energizer are essentially repackaged AAs.
I had to ask though :)

AmondoTech said:
The market ratio between AA and all C and cells combine is like
99.99:0.01
www.amondotech.com

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm another who would jump right into NiMH LSD Cs and Ds. I use a lot of C and D NiCads now and I could go on using them for quite a while but they have been marked for oblivion by the Green Nazis in spite of the fact that there is no alternative available that does what NiCad Cs and Ds can do. They still work better than NiMH cells in radios and other non-light electronic applications and they have increased efficacy in portable lighting now that the Crees and Seouls are on the scene.

I've already switched over to Eneloop AAs and AAAs and have bought my last NiCad in those sizes. I truly wish someone would market LSD NiMH cells in C and D sizes to fill my needs but I'll bet I'll be buying another bunch of NiCad Cs and Ds from Amondo. Oh well, they'll last forever.

LittleBrownStain

Newly Enlightened
Sub_Umbra said:
I'm another who would jump right into NiMH LSD Cs and Ds. I use a lot of C and D NiCads now...

I've already switched over to Eneloop AAs and AAAs and have bought my last NiCad in those sizes. I truly wish someone would market LSD NiMH cells in C and D sizes to fill my needs but I'll bet I'll be buying another bunch of NiCad Cs and Ds from Amondo. Oh well, they'll last forever.

Don't let the nay-sayers try to sway you, Sub_Umbra - rechargeable, LSD NiMH C and D cells are w-a-a-a-a-a-y overdue, most definately needed, and infinately used in more equipment than you can shake a 4D-Maglite at.

Popping an AA cell into a crummy, ****-poorly manufactured D adaptor (like Panasonic's) is only a temporary-but-necessary interim step, needed until the manufacturers get off their duff and start smelling the coffee.

As for C adaptors - well, an AA-cell is ever-so-slightly longer (taller) than a C cell, so if you have a device that takes, say, 4 c cells in-line, they may or may not physically fit into your device anyway. Hence the need for proper rechargeable C cells.

Having to mail-order (and wait) for these crummy adaptors to arrive is a crap-shoot at best - you never know how well they are made unless you are intimately familiar with that particular brand/vendor. And what scantily-few adaptor-makers there are, tell you precious little (anything?) about what they offer.

This whole schmuzzy scenario could be easily avoided if they'd just sell the damned cells - hi-capacity; low-capacity - I don't care. (Long shelf life is a must, though).

Like O.J. Simpson's lawyer once said....

"If the adaptor don't fit, it ain't worth s---." :laughing:

And sooooo - I guess we'll just have to wait for sanyo to come out with an eneloop D cell, or at least make generally-available the adaptors, which according to that gent from Japan (in here somwhere) assures me they DO manufacture, and that they are of very high quality. Which in itself begs the question: Why doesn't Sanyo also sell it's adaptors wherever eneloops are available?

Last edited:

macdude22

Newly Enlightened
I also have a need for LSD C and D cells. I have a variety of items, lights, lanterns, fans, radio, mattress inflator, and other items that I use C and D cells for. Right now I use regular NIMHs in them but most of these things are not used on a regular basis you know. I'd love to toss in some LSD cells in them. I've not had much good luck with adapters so I shunned away from them. C and D cells can get expensive and they are used in a lot of things(though obviously not as much as AA n AAAs) but it seems to me there is enough market demand for somebody to release some LSD larger size batteries.

A

AmondoTech

I wish I can come in and announce AmondoTech will release LSD size C and D batteries.

I think if military put in an order, then we can somehow squeeze some from over-production. Before then, we will need to wait.

Regards,
Wayne

www.amondotech.com

LittleBrownStain

Newly Enlightened
AmondoTech said:
I wish I can come in and announce AmondoTech will release LSD size C and D batteries.

I think if military put in an order, then we can somehow squeeze some from over-production. Before then, we will need to wait.

Hi Wayne!

Then, am I to assume that AmondoTech currently does (or can) manufacture LSD C's and D's ?

A military order to you would be terrific! and a boon for everyone else in the general consumer world too, as it would help spur the availability of these needed cell sizes. As large as the military is, there are still a whack of us reg'lar consumers out there willing to buy.

I will be keeping an eye out on AmondoTech for further news. (Thank you).

LittleBrownStain

Newly Enlightened
Oops-A-Daisy!

Sorry, I thought AmondoTech was an independant manufacturer of cells, and perhaps not just a vendor.

From Website said:
  • Brand NEW High Capacity ( 1800mAh ).
  • Can be used as an exact replacement for AA alkaline batteries in all equipment .
(Noop), I don't think so.

I just bought a MagLight LED and I am firmly told that I must never try to power it using rechargeable Nickle Metal Hydride Batteries, LSD or otherwise. This comes not only from the MagLite people themselves, but from independant reviewers.

(I wish it wasn't true though, because I want to use eneloops with it, even if I DO have to use those crummy AA-To-D adaptors). [sigh....]

Last edited:

macdude22

Newly Enlightened
I use NiMH in a 3D MagLED to no ill effect. Now I don't claim to be an expert on the matter but mine works just dandy on the voltage provided by NiMH. It's my understanding that most things will work fine(since they are designed for the sagging voltage of typical alkaline batteries) unless they have some fancyfanglin regulation that requires a very specific voltage/battery type.

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
LRE, you need to update your first post with the Titanium Power Enduro 2100mAh cells.

LittleBrownStain: All the posts I remember reading on the topic and from my own experience, you CAN substitute alkaline cells by rechargeables. One of the reasons they MAY say not to do it is because rechargeable cells have the ability to deliver much higher current than alkaline cells and in some flashlights, the manufacturer depends on this limitation of AA or AAA alkaline cells to keep the LED from frying. It is assumed that rechargeable cells will deliver too much current to the LED and damage it. In my experience in this forum however, I've yet to see a 3AAA or AA cell light fry an LED when rechargeables are used.

LittleBrownStain

Newly Enlightened
To macdude22 and eebowler:

THANK YOU so much for that info! :)

I have been asking that question all over CPF in one (veiled) form or another (grins) - yours is the first good news I have heard regarding this! I didn't wanna 'smoke' the LED module, which, here in Canada, clocks-in at $27.95 CAD.

There's a Mag2D sitting on my desk right now, next to the computer monitor, with two eneloop AA's in it, fitted into two (crummy) Panasonic AA-To-D adaptors, powering the (even more crummy) incandescent bulb, which has an unfortunate propensity to turn yellower than an over-ripe Chiquitta banana!

I'm gonna switch-in the LED module right now, and I'll be back in a sec. :)

LittleBrownStain

Newly Enlightened
B-I-N-G-O !!!!!!!! :) :) :)

Works like a CHARM, Gentlemen!! Wheee ! (I just made my very first "mini-mod" here at CPF!)

(Ain't it amazing how the simplest things seem to be the most fun) ???

I just turned the lights out and the mag on. Bright white light, and nice, tight throw spot resulted!

I know what you mean, eebowler, about rechargeable batteries having a higher-than-alkaline ability to provide instantaneous current, (obvious to anyone who has burned themselves by carrying a few NiMHs in their pants pocket with their car keys and a bunch of change), BUT, I am only using two AA (eneloop) cells rather than 2 large D size rechargeables, with the AA's (presumably) lesser current outflows. I really couldn't see any real harm in using them, even for longer periods of time, and even though the MAG LED module likes to get hot-hot-hot after a while. The stoopid MAG has no heat-sinking, but at least the led module comes with a current-reducing circuit.

Thanks SO MUCH again, guys. You've just saved me $40+shipping for an EverLED module! I will be *smiling* for the rest of this evening !!!

-- Mike --

Last edited: