Battery interoperability

davepen

Newly Enlightened
A few days ago, I bought a TrustFire X9 with a CREE XM-L T6 emitter. This is my first non-SureFire LED, and my first that doesn't use 123A cells. This light uses a 18650 cell, which I don't have yet.

Is it possible to use two 123A cells in place of a 18650? I have a whole bunch of SureFire SF123A's lying around...

Thanks all.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few days ago, I bought a TrustFire X9 with a CREE XM-L T6 emitter. This is my first non-SureFire LED, and my first that doesn't use 123A cells. This light uses a 18650 cell, which I don't have yet.

Is it possible to use two 123A cells in place of a 18650? I have a whole bunch of SureFire SF123A's lying around...

Thanks all.

1x 18650 gives up to 4.2v fresh off the charger. 2x CR123As is 6v resting, and still over 5v at a 1-amp discharge rate. What is the voltage rating on the Trustfire? If it is rated to something over 6v, then you are safe to use 2 CR123.

My Solarforce dropin is rated 2.8v to 4.2v. Others are 3.6 to 6v, 3.6 to 8.4v, and so on. Do not exceed the manufacturer's voltage input limit unless you imagine you know what you are doing.*

*Know what you are doing better than the manufacturer does

Tommygun45

Enlightened
You need to find where you bought it from and check the specifications. Here is one website that lists the voltage as 3-4.2. Another however rates it up to 8.4 This is what happens when you buy cheap chinese stuff. No offense, I see you are new. But there is no real standards or consistency. Thing is, if you put 2 CR123s in there and this is the accurate rating youll blow the LED quickly because the voltage will be too high.

Trustfire X9 Cree XM-L T6 1200 Lumens 5-Mode Led flashlight Kit(1*18650Batery,With Charger + 1 x 18650 Battery)

• Brand: Trustfire
  • Model: X9
  • Emitter Brand/Type: XM-L T6
  • Color BIN: White
  • Voltage range: 3-4.2V
  • Total Emitters: 1
  • Battery Configurations: 1 x 18650 rechargeable battery (included)
  • Switch Type: Clicky/Clickie
  • Switch Location: Tail-cap
  • Modes: 5
  • Mode Memory: Hi> Mid > Lo > Fast Strobe> SOS
  • Brightness: 1000 lumens maximum brightness (manufacturer rated)
  • Lens: Glass Lens
  • Reflector: smooth Reflector
  • Carrying Strap: Strap Included

davepen

Newly Enlightened
I don't know what the voltage is. I bought it from another CPF'er. The marketplace is down right now, when it comes back up I'll ask.

Just for fun (and perhaps a bit wrecklessly), I put two SF123A's in the light and turned it on for about 15 seconds. It's incredibly bright, but the 123A cells got a bit warm, even after just a short time.

Does that mean I was pushing to much voltage?

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know what the voltage is. I bought it from another CPF'er. The marketplace is down right now, when it comes back up I'll ask.

Just for fun (and perhaps a bit wrecklessly), I put two SF123A's in the light and turned it on for about 15 seconds. It's incredibly bright, but the 123A cells got a bit warm, even after just a short time.

Does that mean I was pushing to much voltage?

Yup, you'll burn your light out. the Specs alone show that it can only handle 4.2V max which is basically the voltage of a freshly-charged 18650. You should smell something burning should you keep it running long enough. :) heheh

davepen

Newly Enlightened
Okay. I won't do that again.

I didn't smell anything burning, so I think the light is okay. Now I just need to order some protected 18650's.

Thanks for all the info, folks. There's a lot to learn.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay. I won't do that again.

I didn't smell anything burning, so I think the light is okay. Now I just need to order some protected 18650's.

Thanks for all the info, folks. There's a lot to learn.

In the meantime, you could perhaps run it on 1 CR123. You could use a spacer in your light in place of the second cell. You will not get good runtimes. The CR123 will give the driver about 2.8v at a bit under an amp of current.

Tommygun45

Enlightened
Did you buy it from Vin? I thought he was selling a modded Trustfire. Here on another website it has the same light but with these specs:

BrandTrustFire
ModelX9
TypeLED Flashlight Kit
MaterialAluminum Alloy
Bulb Number 1
Emitter TypeCREE
Emitter BINXM-L T6
Color BINWhite
Luminous Flux1000LM
Number of Mode5
Mode ArrangementHi>Low>Mid>Fast Strobe>SOS
Power5W
Output Voltage4.2-8.4V
Service Life100,000hrs
Battery Configuration1*Protected 2400mAh 18650 Lithium Battery (not included)
Travel Dual Charger Included
Carring Strap IncludedYes

The thing is that both of them say the battery is 1x18650. Keep in mind youll also have to get a charger to charge the 18650s.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's the thing about those Chinese 'Fire lights, you never really know the real specs.

davepen

Newly Enlightened
Did you buy it from Vin? I thought he was selling a modded Trustfire.

<snip>

The thing is that both of them say the battery is 1x18650. Keep in mind youll also have to get a charger to charge the 18650s.

Yes, I bought it from Vinh. I just checked and he indicated the draw (4.2v) in his WTS post. I just spaced it out. I ended up buying a 4Sevens smart charger, but I still don't have any cells. I should probably get on that.

Last edited:

toysareforboys

Enlightened
but I still don't have any cells. I should probably get on that.
If you're not in a hurry buyincoins.com has some smokin deals on nice quality batteries. They have the Ultrafire Flame 18650 "4250MAh" (lol) for $8.41 per pair if you buy two pairs, free (slow) shipping, and if you make an account, you get a new account bonus plus save up to 15% on your first order by stating COUPON CODE: 10%Ebay2011 and for the "RECOMMENDER" box type in: psinota

f1431c39aca2261a4e4520c077c31c5a.image.300x300.jpg

FULLY protected: Short-circuit, over current, under-voltage at 2.5V and over-voltage at 4.25V.

So that's FOUR 18650 Ultrafire "flames" for $16.82 shipped, hard deal to beat :)

-Jamie M.

Tommygun45

Enlightened
If you have no qualms with the fire part of those batteries' names then go for it. Otherwise just get some AWs from the marketplace. And at least an ultra fire charger but preferably a pila charger. Read up on li ions before you take that plunge they can be dangerous.

davepen

Newly Enlightened
No, I don't want UltraFire batteries. I already acquired a 4Sevens charger. I'd like U.S. made cells if I can get them.

Tommygun45

Enlightened
Well I dont think that's going to happen. You want Japanese cells next and that's aw or redial last. Maybe Cali's kustoms but all of the cells in these are Panasonic...Japanese. But that's about all you'll find.