Bay Area CPF Camping Weekend - May 9th thru 11th, 2008

unnerv

Enlightened
Hey guys and gals, what time is everyone congregating back together from their afternoon activities on Saturday? I am still not sure I can make any of it, but if I get back early enough from vistiting with family I might try to drive out for a couple of hours to hang out.

How are the roads out there? Should I bring the SUV or can my lowered sports car make it out there?

Anyway, hopefully I will be able to see you guys for a bit this weekend. If not take lots of pics.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys and gals, what time is everyone congregating back together from their afternoon activities on Saturday? I am still not sure I can make any of it, but if I get back early enough from vistiting with family I might try to drive out for a couple of hours to hang out.

How are the roads out there? Should I bring the SUV or can my lowered sports car make it out there?

Anyway, hopefully I will be able to see you guys for a bit this weekend. If not take lots of pics.
There isn't a set time, but I imagine by 6 pm most of us will be at the campsite for dinner.

The roads are paved so your sports car will be fine.

Nano-Oil.com

Newly Enlightened
So, the final count except for the last minute show ups is 22 ,

I guess about 5 dozen eggs along with 5 or 6 pounds of bacon should satisfy the morning hunger for protein and fats which we should all need to push JimH flashlight (LOL) up the hill to Morse code our friends to the East on how much fun we are all having in the California Pampas (meaning boonies).
If I am out of range with the bacon and eggs please correct me by phone.

Jim, and or anyone else, feel free to give me a call

Christian StClaire 707 235-4029 [email protected]

marschw

Newly Enlightened
I might be there for part of Saturday night (I'll likely be most of the way there for Saturday morning, just need to brave Hwy 17...), but I'll leave that evening. Just gotta gawk at JimH's VSS-1, don't mind me. :drool:

Maybe I can absorb some elder CPF knowledge while I'm there as well; I'll probably bring in some of my humble attempts at DX light mods. Food-wise, I'll eat before and/or after, or just bring my own. Though come to think of it, what's the point of me posting that here this late?

I guess about 5 dozen eggs along with 5 or 6 pounds of bacon should satisfy the morning hunger
I don't know about that... when I was a lad I ate 4 dozen eggs every morning to help me get large. And now that I'm grown, I eat 5 dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaarge!

Sorry, stupid reference, couldn't resist.

unnerv

Enlightened
when I was a lad I ate 4 dozen eggs every morning to help me get large. And now that I'm grown, I eat 5 dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaarge!

Sorry, stupid reference, couldn't resist.

so I am guessing your name might be Gaston :whistle:

unnerv

Enlightened
Even though I was only there for a few hours, I had a great time. Thanks everyone for sharing the fun, the flashlights and the food.

I took a few pics while I was there for those of you who missed out. Enjoy!

IMG_0024.JPG

IMG_0025.JPG

IMG_0026.JPG

IMG_0027.JPG

IMG_0028.JPG

IMG_0029.JPG

IMG_0031.JPG

IMG_0037.JPG

IMG_0038.JPG

IMG_0039.JPG

IMG_0041.JPG

IMG_0045.JPG

IMG_0047.JPG

IMG_0048.JPG

IMG_0051.JPG

IMG_0052.JPG

IMG_0054.JPG

IMG_0055.JPG

IMG_0056.JPG

IMG_0058.JPG

IMG_0059.JPG

IMG_0060.JPG

IMG_0061.JPG

IMG_0062.JPG

IMG_0063.JPG

IMG_0064.JPG

IMG_0065.JPG

tedjanxt

Enlightened
Random thought 'cause I'm still moving crap: (argh!)

Camping with you guys reminds me why I stopped ever buying/wearing headlamps. I've never been flashed and strobed so many times in my life, and now know why everyone else complained to me about it!

Had a blast guys, will post more thoughts soon!

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
This trip was so awesome. I met some new people, saw lots of cool gadgets, and just generally had a blast.

:drool: :huh: :drool: in regards to Jim's VSS-1. :grin2: :twothumbs

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Larry,

Thanks a bunch for setting up the accommodations for this event. Without you it never would have happened.

I had a blast. Saw some neat new creations, especially the new works from unnerve (very impressive), got to ride a Segway again (compliments of Christian St Clair, aka Nano-oil), and I got to show off my new AN/VSS-1 spotlight. Of course I always enjoy sitting around the campfire with good friends shooting the bull till the wee hours. I think I finally got to bed around 2:00 AM Sat (Actually Sunday morning).

Thanks again to David's friend Leore (sp) for the uber excellent fillet steak wrapped in bacon.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've finally got everything cleaned up and put away for the next trip. I couldn't believe how fast time went as I was having so much fun. Thanks to all those who brought food! I made a pig of myself with all the great bacon dishes (with Leor's filets, with Jim's Famous Beans, and with SheDevil's breakfasts).

I got some pics with my camera phone, and I'll try not to duplicate too much of what has already been posted.

Here is one of Nano-Oil (Christian StClaire) who was kind enough to give us Segway lessons. Those things are a blast to ride!

05-10-08_1127.jpg

JimH getting ready to steal the night. Note the size of the power cord he's holding.

05-10-08_1602.jpg

Twice now that I've been camping with Weylan the late night critters always manage to tear up his supplies while leaving everyone elses stuff alone.

05-10-08_1447.jpg

The 12v Spotlights that were donated by Mswisher for our event. He sent us so many that we didn't have to raffle them off as everybody got one. I believe the retail price is $14.95 each. Thanks again Matt! I got mine on the charger in my van. :cool:

05-10-08_1956.jpg

Here's Weylan posing with his son Kai outside the Bigfoot Discovery Museum just outside the park.

05-10-08_1423.jpg

weedle256 (Kevin) liked the pvc pipe marshmallow guns we saw at the Maker Faire the previous week and made some to take along on the trip. Click image for video.

Some of us took a ride on the steam train up to Bear Mountain. The engineer was nice enough to let a few of us in the cab when we stopped.

05-10-08_1358.jpg

05-10-08_1320.jpg

Last edited:

gimmejr

Newly Enlightened
Wheres the little dog?

Sorry I missed it this year, couldnt swing it because of work. Taking the hike at night with all the flashlights was cool.

BillSJCA

Newly Enlightened
Looks like a nice park to camp atI 've been camping at mt madonna. to the south I plan to attend the next bay area cpf event . I do recognise chris and the segway from the makerfaire I was there with my nephew and his home made segway and usually hang out near the combat robot arena.

Weylan

Enlightened
Larry and everyone!
Larry just organizes a great event, even if I can't go hiking!
I tease him about "Larry miles". But the hikes are great when I can make them. And I really don't hold him responsible for the distance and enjoy them regardless of the distance.

Wonderful time.
Thank you Kevin for bringing all the stuff!
Thank you Vicki for cooking, even though I found out later it was only to stay warm in the morning!
Thanks every one for trying to stuff food in my son when we had the opportunity.
Thanks Megan for shooting my son with marshmallows.

I met some great people.
I got to ride the Segway too!
My son got to ride a Segway too!
My wife got to ride a Segway.
I got to ride the train again!

I got to talk to some interesting characters.
I got to see a Lantern fly.
I got to laugh about how many people it takes to hang a lantern. And how many people it takes to break one.
I ate great food!
I ate more great food.
I loved the tank light meteor.
I need to bring more coffee for the mornings.

I got pegged by so many marshmallows even by the wife. Kevin makes a great human shield.

I now have a firebug for a son and may not have a house forever...
I learned my tent is just too small for 3 people and I need a larger one.
An air mattress is cool but needs to be pumped up again after kids jump on it before going to bed.

I learned I need to ride the train again, maybe the beach train.

Were are the Segway pictures from Kevin?
Where are the meteor pictures of Larry and the tank light?

Way more lights then we needed. But it gets really dark when people turn them off and you can't see the lights.
I hate car alarms at 10pm and I hate car alarms in the morning!
I do not like squirrels going through my food! And wonder out of 4 coolers why they like mine best 2 years running?

I want to thank everyone who donated stuff and am sorry I did not put more in the pot. I brought stuff but the kids confiscated first.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I learned I need to ride the train again, maybe the beach train.

Were are the Segway pictures from Kevin?
Where are the meteor pictures of Larry and the tank light?
Kevin has yet to post his pictures/videos. By meteor do you mean when I threw the GITD ball up into Jim's tank light beam and it came down glowing on one side?

We are thinking of doing a train ride to the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk sometime after Memorial Day when it starts service for the season.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry I missed it this year, couldnt swing it because of work. Taking the hike at night with all the flashlights was cool.
Time was just flying by with everything that I barely got in one night hike after 10 pm Saturday. It was a short hike up to the observation deck that "formally" overlooked Santa Cruz. The trees have grown so much that the view of the city below is almost gone now.

weedle256

Newly Enlightened
In no particular order... click to see the full size image

Jim's tank light on a trailer on a trailer because he can

Lowbat walking like an Egyptian

Waylan Jr (Kai)

Aren't they cute?

before

during

after

See, this is how you play!

Christian's "How steam engines work, lesson one"