Bay Area get together for television program

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bisley said:
There's a reason why they close Alum Rock park after sunset.
You'll need more than a flashlight if you hang out down there!
I've already ruled that park out as the production company wants more lighting. I should have a location finalized by Wednesday.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bisley said:
There's a reason why they close Alum Rock park after sunset.
You'll need more than a flashlight if you hang out down there!
Would the 12 ga pump I EDC in a case mounted to the roof rack of my Jeep qualify as "more than a flashlight"? :grin2:

Bisley

Newly Enlightened
Absolutely!! Located here in the City, I would be interested in
attending and maybe having something modded and meet other
CPFers. Could bring some grub as well . . . . .

dduane

Newly Enlightened
LowBat said:
There is a program in the works about flashlights that will be airing on the National Geographic channel early next year. It will be a one hour program on the history, manufacturing, and the future of flashlights. They would like to include a segment about those of us who make flashlights their hobby.

The date for this get together will be Saturday, December 23rd. If you are interested in attending please post. There will be a film crew present and a few interviews will be taken.

We will be at two locations:

The first location will be at modamag's garage in San Jose at 2 pm where some of us will be modding flashlights. Jonathan suggested we also make this a pot-luck event, so please post if you can bring something for the group. If you want to work on a flashlight too, please include a brief description of what you'd like to do so Jonathan can decide if he has the space, tools, and possible parts needed for your project. I'm not sure how big of a group we'll have yet, but currently there isn't a size limit.

The second location will be at a nearby park for another gathering and a chance to put the flashlights into action. I'm still working on this part and will post more details later.

Please refer back to this post (#1) for updates, directions, and other details.

Additional:

I've got feedback from a few who are unsure if they want to appear on television. The interviews are voluntary, but if you don't want to appear on camera at all then you will want to skip this event.

modamag says those who want to show up at noon to get a head start on their projects are welcome.

Attendance List:

- modamag
- CroMAGnet
- LowBat
- TigerhawkT3
- cqbdude
- slogan
- kinzli
- JimH
- vacuum3d
- Weylan
- weedle256
- SheDevil
- dduane
- DrJ w/Toast
- paulr ?
- bisley

Pot Luck:

JimH - pot of chili
vacuum3d - ice and drinks
modamag - Korean BBQ and pizzas
SheDevil - dessert
Weylan - dim-sum
slogan - chips and pretzels

I'll bring chinese chicken salad.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
LowBat said:
I've already ruled that park out as the production company wants more lighting. I should have a location finalized by Wednesday.

:thinking: Kind of ironic, don't you think? :crackup:

I still haven't decided and if I do, I'll arrive late afternoon as traffic gotta be crazy on the 23rd. I would also have to find a motel for the night.

Larry

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
=== IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ===

The production company ran into a problem and has to reschedule the shoot. After talking with Jonathan (modamag) and the film company, we have come up with a new date: Saturday, January 6th. The meeting times remain the same. My apologies to those who have already made plans and the inconvenience this reschedule will cause. I usually stand firm when a date is set so everyone can rely on it, but in this case the rescheduling is necessary. I'm fairly certain we will not have anymore scheduling changes after this; that is unless something like modamag's house catches fire in a modding accident or we get the earthquake of the century. I will also be sending out PMs to be sure everyone who signed up gets this message.

I hope everyone can make the new date, and maybe a few others who couldn't before.

Larry (LowBat)

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys since we're rescheduling the filming for the 6th. We might as well reschedule the Cree mod fest for that time. That way it gives me one more day of xmas shopping :xmas:

For those who just cant wait till then. There is a short mod session on Thursday 12-5 for mostly larger lights. We plan to head out from my house @ 11:45 for lunch and come back and mod couple crazy lights.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Weylan said:
What was with the filiming? I thought they were going to film next time?
It caught me by surprise too. I do know the segment of the program involving us has been doubled from what was originally planned, so that may have something to do with it. I left a bit early to meet with park officials about using Kelley Park on January 6th. It'll probably be a fallback location as I'm still looking for something better.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Larry,

Have you considered a school yard or a high school athletic field. Just get permission from the school principle.

There is a grade school near me where I take the dogs. The principle seems like an okay guy. He doesn't mind people bringing dogs to run in the school yard as long as we pick up after them. I have to use at least a Mag85 to see my dogs on the other side of the school yard at night.

LightBright

Enlightened
hmmm.... this sounds interesting! I'm not totally sure, but it's possible I could show up and bring a few lights with me :) I'd like to see some of the lathe work, as that is a part of the flashlight world I'm not too familiar with. For complete darkness (without the SJ light pollution) I was going to suggest going towards Mt Hamilton or somewhere in the SC mountains, but that would probably be too much of a pain for everybody to get to.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
LightBright, I'll put you down as a maybe. You are correct that we need to keep this an easy drive from modamag's to the outdoor location.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Sorry you can't make it, LightBright. I still intend to appear, but it's a little complicated. (For me.) Apologies to Jonathan for not yet emailing him and the Producer re? :thinking: I can also bring an SF Beast in case $ticker-$hock has some value. :green: :D

Larry