**BEAMSHOTS** Maxabeam & Ushio UXL-75XE vs Xenonics Nighthunter One

Parker VH

Enlightened
Re: Maxabeam & Ushio UXL-75XE vs Nighthunter One - BEAMSHOTS ADDED!

Troller I can surely send you another btm adapter as they are all done but do you want me to machine one to a different specification for you? Do you think you found the problem?
Thanks.

troller_cpf

Enlightened

No as to now I can't find the problem.
But if you ship me a second btm adapter and still it does not work, it means that's my MB fault! then I'm sure I need to do something about it (still don't know what...)

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the beam shots!

Parker VH

Enlightened
Re: Maxabeam & Ushio UXL-75XE

This is normal, all Maxa Beam does that.

I checked my other light and high beam mode stays on for approx. 15 seconds then resets to low power? Wonder if this is a function of which circuit board the light has? I'll email Deb at Peak Beam and see what she says.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

I remember a post from Rob, the Dir, of engineer at Peaks Beam, he stated if you hold the button to the right & don't let go,
they will stay on Hi constantly. If you just hit & release, it stay on for 30 sec.

troller_cpf

Enlightened

I remember a post from Rob, the Dir, of engineer at Peaks Beam, he stated if you hold the button to the right & don't let go,
they will stay on Hi constantly. If you just hit & release, it stay on for 30 sec.

That's not exactly right.
The MB has got many programmable functions. One of these enables the user to choose whether he wants the High mode to be Momentary or Continuos.

Momentary mode: the user needs to hold the switch to the right as long as he wants high mode to stay on
Continuos mode: the user rockes the switch to the right once and the light stays on high mode for 16 seconds. He CANNOT get it back to normal mode, he needs to wait for the 16 seconds to elapse.

To program the function, there is a procedure that is described in the operator manual (also downloadable from the website).

cheers!

Parker VH

Enlightened

Troller, PM sent concerning the btm. adapter.

Parker VH

Enlightened

PM me your shipping info. so I can send you out another btm. adapter. I don't know why the message didn't come through before?

Parker VH

Enlightened

Troller, I sent out another btm. adapter today. Let me know when you receive it and hopefully we can figure this out.

Walterk

Enlightened

It is nice to see the bulbs in comparison!
Great photo-job on that distance.

Edit: replaced the bulb for uxl in my Waxabeam.
Will test Huygens XML, Waxabeam UXL and Maxabeam end of august.

Last edited:

PB1

Newly Enlightened

Somewhat randomized thoughts and not any conclusions yet. Sort of talking to myself.

Your 4S Lipo will peak at 16.8 Volts, 14.8 is nominal. As long as the MB ballasts' input Voltage range is good up to 16.6 or so, the ballast will work ok.

Regardless of the input Voltage from your battery (again, assuming the ballast will handle 16.6V) then power output from the ballast to the bulb is going to be the same (also assuming that the arc gap, gas fill pressure and gas composition is the same). Ballast output should not change with changing input Voltage assuming the bulb specs are the same.

Is the power handling capability (Voltage range spec and Amperage range spec) of the non-MB Ushio the same as the MB-specific bulb?

"Only makes a spark in the lamp base". (The Anode/large, rear electrode end of the bulb?) Obviously, the bulb is not going to light off unless there is a spark across the gap. The purpose of the small wire (Trigger Wire) around the chamber is to ionize the Xenon during the ignition cycle and then the spark at the electrode ignites the ionized gas. Do you mean you see arcing between the bulbs' original base and the new adapters? Or is it arcing within the bulb chamber but well behind the electrode tip? Or is it arcing between the new adapter and the MBs' original contact? Have you tried to identify the location in a very dark environment (be very careful not to flash yourself if the bulb lights off)

Did you run the non-MB bulb in the momentary 75 Watt mode during the one run?

I have a loaner MB Clone. I used Parkers' adapters and the same non-MB Ushio bulb in this light with no issues and many, many starts.

Did you clean the bulb with hi-percentage alcohol and all the contact areas?

Does the original MB Ushio bulb still work ok?

On first blush, if you see arcing, then the ballast is PROBABLY OK (the ignition circuit, anyway). It seems like you might have a loose/electrically-poor contact issue or the power rating of the non-Ushio bulb is less than the MB-specific bulb and the non-MB bulb may have been damaged. Also, look closely at the metal ribbon connector material between the back end of the electrode and the bulb base for breaks. In you pic, there are wide/large ribbon connectors on MB-specific bulbs 1 & 2 but the connector looks very small on the non-MB bulb. (I realize there is distortion thru the quartz so I cannot really tell much on the bulb #3.) Also, the trigger wire on the MB-specific bulb is connected to the anode base and then runs down to, and wraps around the chamber. I cannot see any such connection on the non-specific bulb? Is there one? (There should be) If so, does it come from the Anode (large electrode) base?

The more I look at the pic, the more it looks like the Anode metal ribbon connector is gone and the small line that appears to be that ribbon connector, is actually the shadow of the Trigger wire?

Just to let you know the MB ballast is only safe until about 13.8vdc (running). Anything higher can cause damage.
The standard UXL-75XE lamps are a different voltage, arc gap, and wattage and will reduce output as a result. In addition the standard Ushio is rated for 400 hours instead of 1500. You may also find that your beam level and strobe functions no longer work. Of course if you are comparing this to an original ARC lamp or an older Ushio you may see an increase. As always YMMV...

Robert
PBS

Walterk

Enlightened

Just to let you know the MB ballast is only safe until about 13.8vdc (running). Anything higher can cause damage.
The standard UXL-75XE lamps are a different voltage, arc gap, and wattage and will reduce output as a result. In addition the standard Ushio is rated for 400 hours instead of 1500. You may also find that your beam level and strobe functions no longer work. Of course if you are comparing this to an original ARC lamp or an older Ushio you may see an increase. As always YMMV... Robert PBS

'Break the seal, loose the warrant' never hold me back and I am glad for it.

troller_cpf

Enlightened

The standard UXL-75XE lamps are a different voltage, arc gap, and wattage and will reduce output as a result. In addition the standard Ushio is rated for 400 hours instead of 1500. You may also find that your beam level and strobe functions no longer work. Of course if you are comparing this to an original ARC lamp or an older Ushio you may see an increase. As always YMMV...

Robert
PBS

My Gen2-15 MB came already "broken", as it has got some problems in the ECU, the strobe only works momentary and I cannot change rate/duty, and it has also some problems in keeping the right voltage.
I have tried it also with LiFePo batteries and the classical 12V car socket (engine running idle), but it has a ECU problem.

So I'm not concerned that much about over-voltage ;)

When I'll buy a new MB, IF I find the money :), I'll use the original PeakBeam battery for sure!

PB1

Newly Enlightened

My Gen2-15 MB came already "broken", as it has got some problems in the ECU, the strobe only works momentary and I cannot change rate/duty, and it has also some problems in keeping the right voltage.
I have tried it also with LiFePo batteries and the classical 12V car socket (engine running idle), but it has a ECU problem.

So I'm not concerned that much about over-voltage ;)

When I'll buy a new MB, IF I find the money :), I'll use the original PeakBeam battery for sure!

Have you tried to re-seat the chip? Many of the Gen 2's suffered from chip creep. You could also upgrade to a gen3 board pretty easily for much less $$ than a new Maxabeam. I'm not sure what you meant by " it has also some problems in keeping the right voltage". Gen 2 lights running low voltage lamp = possible explosion. The UXL-75xe has a voltage spec of 11-14 volts. I would say anything below 12.5v could be trouble. Its the luck of the draw I suppose. I'm just trying to be helpful.

Robert
PBS

BVH

Flashaholic

Robert, thanks very much for the technical info on the differences in your Ushio bulb and the standard UXL75XE. This type of info is very helpful. If I understand the above...The standard Ushio 75XE has a voltage range "at the bulb" of between 11 and 14 Volts and the MB ballast will quite possibly over-drive it because it's set up for your specific bulb which probably has a higher Voltage range?

Parker VH

Enlightened

I was told by Deb @ PeakBeam that the Maxa Beam has an operating range of 10-13.5 volts if this helps?