BessieBenny's Budget LED (DX/KD etc) Flashlights Review Roundup (Part X)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tora

Newly Enlightened
Re: What do you think - UltraFire RL-2088?

I have one on the way. I posted a distant shot from the seller. My thread is UltraFire RL-2088 / Raptor enroute.

Fichtenelch

Enlightened
Re: Questions about Ultrafire WF-501B

Thats what i've been looking for...Thx :D The thread seemed to be stuck...I can't actually tell the dx sku since i can't reach dx...but since i got it now, the problem is solved.

Last edited:

parkschr

Newly Enlightened

The beam shots were too blurry for me. I am trying to decide if I should get a Legion II, M2XC4, or the UltraFire.

Tora

Newly Enlightened

There is only one shot of the UltraFire - the one you were concerned with. It was from the seller - I haven't received mine yet - I shall have beam shots up in another week or so.

davegLED

Newly Enlightened
Help me choose - narrowed choice to 2 lights

I have a Fenix LD10 with OP reflector - my first real torch.

I'm about to buy my first Li-ion torch to step up the ladder. I want something brighter with better throw but still small enough to EDC. I don't want to spend loads of $$$ with my first step into Li-ions.

The torch is for general use around the garden, walking at night, finding firewood at night, spotting animals. I want an all around torch - nice throw but not a really tight beam as this would be no good for walking.

I have two choices and just need someone to sway me one way or the other::twothumbs

MTE SSC P7 C-Bin 900-Lumen 2-Mode LED Flashlight (1*18650)
Very popular but more of a flood than I would like.
sku_12623_1.jpg

EastwardYJ YJ-XGR2 Waterproof Cree R2-WC 2-Mode 250-Lumen (1*18650)
Not so popular, more of a gamble but looks nice.
sku_17382_1.jpg

This one looks very tasty :devil: - a great thrower but too tight a spot for my needs:

UniqueFire HS-802 Cree R2-WC 2-Mode 230-Lumen
sku_16538_1.jpg

So, what would you get?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

The Dane

Enlightened
Ultrafire WF-008 impressions

I'we had this light for almost 3 days and let me say this; I'm impressed :twothumbs

I cant wait for something like this in MC-E or SSC7!
If/when it comes I'll be like a pig in poop :D

The hotspot nails all I have: SSC7, 5xXR-E, the lot and only let go when i lid My 35W HID.

I can imagine this as a rifle light, perfect aming light when alligned with the sights/scope. Perfect point and click "soft" ware.

Runtime @2hrs on a 2600mA 18650. OK in my book.

the_moth

Newly Enlightened
Re: Help me choose - narrowed choice to 2 lights

I have the Eastward light and the HS-802....and the MC-E equivalent to the P7 MTE light, but in 8 mode, M3-2.

I highly recommend the MTE M3-2, it's a great area light with enough range to illuminate a 50x100ft yard very well. With the extra modes, you get HI, MED, and LOW. Med is great for most uses.

The Eastward is the brightest light I've bought on DX, about the same (visibly) to my Tiable A9. It's a great value. BUT, it's a tight beam. There is enough spill for your use, but in my opinion, based on your specs, I'd suggest the MTE lights, either P7 or MC-E. Not sure about the driver (or lack of) on the 2 mode version MTE's, but the 8 mode is BRIGHT on HI.

The HS-802 is interesting, it has a tiny, pinpoint hotspot, but actually has enough spill to light up a decent sized area on long throws. It's pretty heavy and long though. Much more than the MTE. My favorite all around light is the Eastward R2 you noted, but it is a thrower...excellent for spotting animals.

I found a variation of the HS802 that uses a P7 LED with that super deep reflector in OP...very imressive. Throws excellent, with typical quad-core LED floodlight characteristics. Problem is the light is a misfit, the seller only had a few, and they were supposed to be equipped with MC-E leds....then the switch failed. If they can get this light working right, it will be the best all around light for throw and flood. I lit up oak tress at 200 yards! Not too mention the rest of the field.

Moth

Last edited:

GTSECC

Newly Enlightened
Is there a budget single CR123 this forums likes?

I love the single CR123 battery format.

I have a NiteCore EX and I love it.

I think I want to get some single CR123 battery lights for gifts, but I do not want to spend $60.

It looks like there are some pretty good lights out there. I have looked at dealextreme and bessiebennies reviews until my back hurts and head is spinning. Is there a no brainer stand out in this group of budget lights?

SilentK

Enlightened
Re: Is there a budget single CR123 this forums likes?

i use battery station cells. i think they are like $1.50 or something like that. i just buy $80 worth at a single time and i am good for a while. :grin2:

GTSECC

Newly Enlightened

i use battery station cells. i think they are like $1.50 or something like that. i just buy $80 worth at a single time and i am good for a while. :grin2:
:)
Flashlights, not batteries.
I am sorry if it was not clear in my post.
I always worry about how to phrase things here, sorry.

Marduke

Flashaholic

I would heavily recommend AGAINST giving CR123 lights for gifts. The first time the person has to change the battery and sees the $10-$15 price tag for a 2-pack of cells, the light will immediately be tossed into the back of the sock drawer and never used again.

For gift lights, stick with common power sources such as AA or AAA.

If you want the light to be EDC, go with 1xAA or 1xAAA. If the light is so big that it does not comfortably fit in a pocket or on a keychain, it will not be carried, and therefore not be used and appreciated.

Furthermore, for gift lights, they have to be VERY simple to use. More than two modes will greatly confuse all but moderately tech savvy users.

SilentK

Enlightened

:)
Flashlights, not batteries.
I am sorry if it was not clear in my post.
I always worry about how to phrase things here, sorry.

Ugh. not your fault. i like to skim alot. so i picked up maybe 7 or so words, and i assumed you had a nitecore and needed cheap cells for it. :ohgeez: you dont need to worry about the way you phrase things, you need to worry about people like me that can make you question what you said in the first place. :grin2:

GTSECC

Newly Enlightened

DX sku 19464, $10.78 - UltraFire WF-602C Cree Q2-WC 5-Mode 150-Lumen LED Flashlight with Strap (1*CR123A)

See here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/227172
Just bought 3.
And, I will give folks some batteries also so they don't flip out! Good thinking. Hopefully these folks are pretty tech savy and can deal with wierd batteries and order over the net or something.

So, btw, any good online battery places now? Years ago I ordered 20 CR123's. They were light blue. They worked fine. SHould I add batteries to the dealextreme order from them?

Marduke

Flashaholic

So, btw, any good online battery places now? Years ago I ordered 20 CR123's. They were light blue. They worked fine. SHould I add batteries to the dealextreme order from them?

The DX primaries are crap. Try Battery Station or 4sevens for good cells at decent prices.

GTSECC

Newly Enlightened

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs

kramer5150

Flashaholic

RC-N3-Q5 from shiningbeam. As a bonus it can also run very well off 2AA and RCR123 (the latter being my preference). Bryan offers top rate service and shipping from New York. Theres also a new 2-mode High/Low that Ive been meaning to get, but I'm too heavily into DIY modding ATM. Mine has prooven to be very rugged and reliable in the 12+ months of abuse I have subject it too.:thumbsup:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Re: Help me choose - narrowed choice to 2 lights

I have a Fenix LD10 with OP reflector - my first real torch.

I'm about to buy my first Li-ion torch to step up the ladder. I want something brighter with better throw but still small enough to EDC. I don't want to spend loads of $$$ with my first step into Li-ions.

The torch is for general use around the garden, walking at night, finding firewood at night, spotting animals. I want an all around torch - nice throw but not a really tight beam as this would be no good for walking.

I have two choices and just need someone to sway me one way or the other::twothumbs

MTE SSC P7 C-Bin 900-Lumen 2-Mode LED Flashlight (1*18650)
Very popular but more of a flood than I would like.
sku_12623_1.jpg

EastwardYJ YJ-XGR2 Waterproof Cree R2-WC 2-Mode 250-Lumen (1*18650)
Not so popular, more of a gamble but looks nice.
sku_17382_1.jpg

This one looks very tasty :devil: - a great thrower but too tight a spot for my needs:

UniqueFire HS-802 Cree R2-WC 2-Mode 230-Lumen
sku_16538_1.jpg

So, what would you get?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

That MTE/P7 is impressive though. Gary measured it as follows:
MTE SSC P7___________,__1-IMR 18650,_____________________478.5__,___3 sec_______,
MTE SSC P7___________,__1-IMR 18650,_____________________416.8__,__30 sec_______,
MTE SSC P7___________,__1-IMR 18650,_____________________471.0__,__60 sec_______,
MTE SSC P7___________,__1-IMR 18650,_____________________467.3__,_120 sec_______,
MTE SSC P7___________,__1-IMR 18650,_____________________422.4__,_180 sec_______,
MTE SSC P7___________,__1-IMR 18650,_____________________390.7__,_240 sec_______,

So, IMHO its only meant for to be used on HIGH for spot-use only, as it does not really have sufficient thermal cooling. Low mode however I speculate is in the 150-200 Lumen ballpark, and that output should be very thermally stable.

That eastward looks interesting... ~1400 mah, with a large host and what appears to be sufficient heat sinking, and low output modes to extend run times.

The last one, doesn't appeal to me, because it uses a buck converter and thus (I speculate) will run at a lower output with a single 18650. Very few 2xRCR123 lights run at equal brightness with 1x18650, you can probably count them on one hand.

if it were me, I'd give the MTE a shot. But I prefer floodier beams, and I would probably need to exercise discipline and only use the "turbo" mode sparingly. That doesn't bother me at all, since I usually prefer sub-200 Lumen lights for most tasks. IMHO all 3 represent some of the better DX designs, like how the pill is direct screwed into the body, and the lack of flashy modes. IMHO the DX lights you generally want to avoid are the ones that use large springs for "-" body contact, and lack a thermal conduction path for heat generated by the LED.

Last edited:

GTSECC

Newly Enlightened

So, I have now purchased 3 CR123 flashlights and 10 CR123 batteries for less than my beloved NiteCoreEX. That is nuts!

kramer5150

Flashaholic

So, I have now purchased 3 CR123 flashlights and 10 CR123 batteries for less than my beloved NiteCoreEX. That is nuts!

... till you realize the high DOA rate thats typical of most DX lights. FWIW, of my 5 DX lights only 2 were good out of the box. The remaining 3 had flicker problems which I was able to fix easily with some DIY ingenuity. Still I think DX products offer a lot for the $$, and for me learning how to troubleshoot has helped propel my DIY skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.