Best 18650 battery question

Octavian

Newly Enlightened
In my 1x18650 flashlights I use most of the time Panasonic NCR18650B 3400 mAh (protected) and Efest IMR purple button top 3100 mAh.
As from my observations, Panasonic don't have a better marginal capacity. Efest can handle a lot better 2,5-3 Amp discharge (when I run on full power single 18650 XM-L flashlights) , it has a higher voltage to high currents, and is half a price of Panasonic.

The only thing which remain to see (beside the fact that Panasonic is protected), is the lifetime in next 1...2...3 years. After 1 year I must give a big plus to Efest IMR 3100 mAh, a very good cell for the price I paid.

PS: also I run my Acebeam K60 with Efest purple IMR 3100 mAh, good runtime, constant power till end.

dan221081

Newly Enlightened
Re: What's the "best buy" in 18650s these days?

Ven,

Can I ask where you got those cells from ? I have just ordered the same torch but I am struggling to find good places to order some 18650s from in the UK. I also note that you have non-button type batteries and I was about to order some with the buttons as the documentation that I have seen says it needs protection based button 18650 cells.

Is the documentation I have been shown incorrect ?

Thanks

Dan

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What battery to use?

I'm not an expert on anything, I strive to be an informed consumer with matters like this, and CPF is invaluable for helping me strike good valence between cost and quality.
What I'm always looking for is fair value for cost.
I'd love to know of a battery that was as high spec as say an Orbtronic 18650 protected 34 00 mA for 8$ instead of 15$; but for me, knowing that it was a solid value, if not the optimal value that someone with more expertise could find, and knowing that I only needed four and would likely care for and use them for several years before upgrading, it was worth it to me to blow 60$ on 4 quality, protected, high cap batteries that I had faith in.
Fair price and good value is all I ask.

ven

Flashaholic
Re: What's the "best buy" in 18650s these days?

Ven,

Can I ask where you got those cells from ? I have just ordered the same torch but I am struggling to find good places to order some 18650s from in the UK. I also note that you have non-button type batteries and I was about to order some with the buttons as the documentation that I have seen says it needs protection based button 18650 cells.

Is the documentation I have been shown incorrect ?

Thanks

Dan

Hi Dan, in the uk I use Ecolux shop on eBay . :)

JuRuKi

Newly Enlightened
After a lot of research i decided to go with LG MJ1's. Im happy with my purchase

teacher

Newly Enlightened

gauntlet21

Newly Enlightened
I am just starting to acquire some new flashlights as I apparently have the inherent desire to collect them. My next addition is going to be the Armytek Wizard Pro V3 XHP50 USB Rechargeable "headlamp". That said, it uses an 18650 battery. Prior to purchasing flashlights and their specific batteries, I began vaping. I am very familiar with the 18650 batteries that are used in vaping and can't help but notice that there seems to be a great difference between the two battery functions. The overlapping good qualities for flashlight and vaping 18650 batteries are to have high mAh and also be high-drain. The part that I am not entirely understanding, however, is the amperage qualities. In vaping, higher amp batteries are generally better (a 30A battery is better than a 20A) if you're looking to vape at higher wattages. The Armytek flashlight that I mentioned I will be purchasing states that the amperage should not exceed 10 amps (maybe 12 amps) if I heard/read correctly? So now I am confused. I realize that there are plenty of "flashlight" manufacturers that sell batteries designed for flashlights but most of them do not provide any further details other than perhaps their voltage and how many mAh they are. I cannot find any R ratings or amperage ratings on most of the flashlight branded batteries. Perhaps it isn't as competitive of a metric in the flashlight battery industry since 30A-40A batteries are not designed for flashlight use like they are in vaping? I am curious, however, to know what the best battery would be for the few flashlights I have just started to purchase and how I can intelligently purchase batteries based on the specifications each flashlight recommends. And if I am correct in that the Armytek flashlight should not have a battery exceeding 10A, how would a 4A, 6A, and a 10A battery affect its performance should all of the other variables remain the same. If you've taken the time to read this, I apologize for my lack of battery intelligence and appreciate your time assisting me.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Gauntlet21,

Welcome to CPF.

Let's ignore price to start. A battery that can handle a 20 amp discharge rate will work fine for any current draw below it max of 20 amps.

Most flashlights have less of a current demand that vapers do, so any battery that will work for vaping will coast along under flashlight conditions.

Tom

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's right, just to add, might as well go for batteries with good capacity rather than high-drain capability because all high-drain batteries have low capacity resulting in lower run times in your flashlight. High-drain has more use for vapers since the higher current drain makes the mods safer to use with high wattage settings.

Also get a good charger for your good cells, these play a major role on how long those good cells will last.

Lastly, never, never let the battery drain below 3 volts as you will ruin the battery. If you want to be on the sure side, get protected 18650's however you will have to check first if it will fit the light. If not, you will end up either ruining your light, your battery or it will get stuck inside the battery tube. Unprotected will always fit flashlights, that is a given, however you do have to be cautious of the voltage. Normally most modern lights have a way of warning you when the batteries are low, like a warning flash, or a light coming on on the side of the light to warn you you are low on battery power. (some lights just dim and can no longer run at max, this is their way of warning you the cell is almost completely drained.

Oh yeah, welcome to CPF! You will enjoy your stay here. :)

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's right, just to add, might as well go for batteries with good capacity rather than high-drain capability because all high-drain batteries have low capacity resulting in lower run times in your flashlight. High-drain has more use for vapers since the higher current drain makes the mods safer to use with high wattage settings.

Oh yeah, welcome to CPF! You will enjoy your stay here. :)

Well, now with hybrid chemistries, we really can have our cake and eat it too.

We've got 10A 3500mAh Sanyo-Panasonic NCR-GAs, we have 20A+ Sony VTC6s that are 3000mAh, The Samsung 30Qs 15A/3000mAh and a few others in that 3000mAh-3500mAh range.

This isn't like five years ago, where higher drain cells were in the 2200mAh range and the best 18650 capacity was 3100mAh, with that cell being good for 5A-6A.

We've got it good now. Heck, when I started here we had a choice of three (four if you count International Outdoors): AW 3100s, Redilast 3100s and Callies Kustom 3100s, all protected cells, but cells selling for $18-$21 a piece! Soon after, the flashlight guys started branding cells with their names, but it was slim pickins' back then.

Now we can buy protected quality cells for $8-$12 the last time I looked and if you can run naked cells, you can get Sony VTC6 cells for $8-$9--arguably the best 18650 cells for higher drains, on Earth.

Chris

Latest posts