Best Automotive DMM's (non-RMS)

Schermann

Newly Enlightened
So in your opinion what are the best automotive multimeters out there and what is the advantage of non RMS DC oriented DMM versions. US army versions are included here?

I have the rediculously expensive Fluke 88v automotive DMM (picture) that I got really cheap...
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/dead-fluke-88v-re-birthed-to-as-new.477610/post-5466457
...but what are the competitors and alternatives?

AC oriented DMMs are not to be included here so keep those brand name bragging rights for other threads...

Pictures and reasons for all and any preference encouraged.

B97B5FAB-CC9B-49F6-BD07-170D594E6ECB.jpeg

Last edited:

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good that you mentioned AC as all the "automotive" DMMs I've seen however rugged and reliable do not have any AC voltage ranges below 200v FS. Obviously not good for testing low-level audio in you system if it comes to that.

Basic DC accuracy in modest hand-held lab-type DMMs is better than 1%. Even old Fluke 75 I have is 0.5%. Automotive types are generally not as good but mostly don't need to be.

I can't really recommend any specific ones, lots of cheap ones kicking around which are perfectly good for measuring batteries, flashlight current etc. I keep several around.

Dave

Schermann

Newly Enlightened
I can't really recommend any specific ones, lots of cheap ones kicking around which are perfectly good for measuring batteries, flashlight current etc. I keep several around.

Yes, I just can't imagine anyone paying $50 let alone $500+ for the Fluke 88v if it does not have TRMS, but here it is...

... I reasonably suppose that TRMS is used only in AC amperage so I assume vehicular systems (besides ABS systems) don't use complex waveform AC...

42DF3830-5DA6-46BC-812D-6B44F9551167.jpeg

syga

Newly Enlightened
I have a fluke 88 that's over 25 years old and still use it today.
I find the best feature is the min/max/avg readings.

Have also used other meters over the years. I haven't tried all, but the absolute best meter I have used is the Snap On Vantage MT2400 graphing multimeter. It runs on 2 d cells. It will easily catch voltage glitches that the Fluke will miss.