Best Budget AA/AAA lights for the price...

HarveyRich

Enlightened
+1 for the ITP A3 EOS multimode--for only $20.50 on Shining Beam. I've got the Tank 007 and this is completely superior. I also have the original Fenix LOD and like this better--primarily because of its smaller footprint. It's sufficiently bright on high with NiMH that I don't use the 10400 that I started with; love it.

gaiageek

Newly Enlightened
+1 for the ITP A3 EOS multimode--for only $20.50 on Shining Beam. I've got the Tank 007 and this is completely superior. I also have the original Fenix LOD and like this better--primarily because of its smaller footprint. It's sufficiently bright on high with NiMH that I don't use the 10400 that I started with; love it.

Which Tank007? That's the brand. Their older AAA model is the TK-701.

Not saying the iTP A3 EOS isn't better. I'm sure it is, just wondering which Tank007 model you're comparing it to.

HarveyRich

Enlightened
Originally Posted by GaiaGeek
Which Tank007? That's the brand. Their older AAA model is the TK-701.

Not saying the iTP A3 EOS isn't better. I'm sure it is, just wondering which Tank007 model you're comparing it to.

Sorry about that. It's the TK-701. The Tank is longer, not as bright and not as well constructed. I've ordered several and one stopped functioning. The tube is thinner and it has a battery crusher inside, rather than a spring to hold the battery in place. The iTP EOS is very well constructed. The version I have is 3 mode with a BRIGHT high (for AAA NiMH) and very low low, which is good in the bedroom at night since it doesn't disturb anyone sleeping (unless you trip on something). It also can take 10400 batteries.

fixitman

Newly Enlightened
Personally, I think the ITP/Maratac AAA lights to be the best bang for the buck in a pocket light available.
I have the Maratac version, and it is a truly nice light, and worth every penny. Enough flood for general work, yet the hot spot is tight enough for a bit of throw. It makes a great makeshift headlamp when clipped to a hat, or even the collar of my shirt. Its a good enough deal that even my non-flashaholic friends like it.

+1 for the Akoray K106, mine is pretty much my go to light around the house.
+1 on the eagletac P100A, a great thrower and quality light for the money.

Ian2381

Enlightened
Thanks Guys for all your reply's

We just got hit by a typhoon and just got in the net after a week.

My flashlight collection really got tested(3 nights without electricity).

Right now I'm looking for a budget single AA/AAA light that has good runtime with decent light output.:thinking:

henry1960

Enlightened
+1 for the Akoray K106, mine is pretty much my go to light around the house.
.[/QUOTE]

I cant wait to get mine. I ordered three K106 lights three weeks ago and they should be in soon :naughty:

Ian2381

Enlightened
Ordered a "Nkoray" K-106 in DX, hopefully this is as good as most of what you guys have.

Is the iTP A3 EOS a good backup light for hiking? I was wondering how it compares as to quality of Fenix E01.:thinking:

I'm leaning to purchase a 1AAA budget light...

Skyeye

Enlightened
The best kept secret is the little Brinkmann Tuffmax 1AA. Honest lumens and long run time. $16 Academy.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Ordered a "Nkoray" K-106 in DX, hopefully this is as good as most of what you guys have.

Is the iTP A3 EOS a good backup light for hiking? I was wondering how it compares as to quality of Fenix E01.:thinking:

I'm leaning to purchase a 1AAA budget light...

the E01 has been subject to more CPF durability testing than the ITP. So I would say the E01 is more "proven", as a backup utility.

MikieHead

Newly Enlightened
OK. I am amazed no one mentioned the Olight (iTP) Titanium for $45 plus shipping less CPF discount!! In stock at Going Gear on Monday!!!
TITANIUM........

I have given away and sold off several lights and may have to get one of these!! I already have the iTP aluminum!!

Ian2381

Enlightened
Can any of these lights survive cold temperatures in the mountains, since these are AAA powered.
Personally my 3AAA powered light which usually last long for 3 hours lasted less than 2 hrs on my last Hiking and got really dim.:candle:
Is the cold whether has to do with this or just a coincidence..

tsmith35

Newly Enlightened
How about the Streamlight Stylus series? The Stylus Pro uses 2xAAA batteries and the Microstream uses 1xAAA battery. About $14 for the Microstream and $20 for the Stylus Pro. Clips in your pocket like a pen.

Alistair

Newly Enlightened
I think I may have seen this light at Walmart. Is this light puting out like 40-45 lumens?

And, does anyone have any beamshots? Or even a review?

Is this the light? >> http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10902882
I have one of these. It is made of plastic and feels cheap but works rather well. Its lightness makes it easy to hold in ones mouth to free the hands. I sometimes use it as a headlight by shoving it into a rubber band around my head. It does put out about 45 lumens. Very useful.

deranged_coder

Enlightened
Can any of these lights survive cold temperatures in the mountains, since these are AAA powered.
Personally my 3AAA powered light which usually last long for 3 hours lasted less than 2 hrs on my last Hiking and got really dim.:candle:
Is the cold whether has to do with this or just a coincidence..

You can feed them Energizer Lithium AAAs if cold weather performance is a concern for you. You can expect to get longer runtime from the lithium AAAs, too.

MiniMag_Crazy_Greg

Newly Enlightened
Just my 2¢:

For a single AAA, my favorite is a SL Microstream, light weight, good looking, and nice floody beam. Bought it off of flea-bay for less than $17. Loaded with an engerizer lithium for dependability. Has a great neck lanyard and a strong pocket clip.

For a double AAA, my choice is a SL Stylus Pro pen light. Same "likes" as above, but comes with a belt sheath rather than a lanyard. Also a pocket clip. (sorry, forgot how much I paid for it :thinking:)

Strong runner up for the double AAA would be a modified M@glite 2xAAA with a Terralux drop in. BUT the M@g is a twisty rather than a forward clicky, and the added cost of the drop-in makes the budget thing an issue.

Oh yeah, my keychain single AAA fenix E01 get used daily, also sporting an engergizer lithium for depenabilty.

As for AA lights:

For the short time I had my Fenix L1D (non Q5), and I loved it!! 5 Modes and runs on a single AA. I ended up giving it away as a gift, now regretting it.

My RC-G2's sees the most use, I have a DX RC-G2 and a shiningbeam.com RC-G2 Q5. The Q5 lives in my truck and has never let me down, the DX one (don't know what emitter it has), lives in my brief case, and again, can't get over Romisen's quality, and has never failed me.

For a double AA, my go to light in my tool bag is a Niteize mod'd AA m@glite with an IQ switch. I don't know how it compares to a newer M@gLed AA, but I like the tint and versatility of the IQ Switch. As I already had the AA M@g, I spent less than $20 for the upgrade.

I know there are better and more expensive AA/AAA lights out there, but I'm a budget minded flashaholic and only want to share my thoughts for your consideration.

SixCats!

Enlightened
BUMPING this old thread since I will be in the market for some IN-expensive small flashlights in the future and would like CPF members opinions. I'm interested in ONE cell "AAA's" as well as ONE (perhaps two) cell "AA's" small lights.

Regards,
SixCats!

SixCats!

Enlightened
Hi all,

What say you ? ITP A3 EOS "AAA" (or A2EOS "AA") vs. MARATAC "AAA" vs. Four Sevens PREONS vs. ?

Wow, information OVERLOAD! There are just TOO many Flashlight choices! Heck, I haven't even yet decided on which EDC Flashlight I want to purchase and I'm already researching "secondary" Keychain/back up lights. Man, I got it bad. At any rate, chance are good I will purchase either a single "AA" or "AAA" ONE cell mini light even before I buy a more powerful EDC light since cost on these mini lights are not too expensive. Besides, I NEED a new toy! So, what say you CPF members ? Oooh dear, do I even consider the likes of a ITP mini light in CR123? Arrrrrrrrrrrr!

Regards,
SixCats!

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy Tom,
I've recently spent quite a bit of time researching both 1xAAA AND 1xAA lights.

First, it's important to define the role that each light will play in your EDC collection. This will help dictate the direction you might take in your search.

For the 1xAAA, if you are simply looking for a backup EDC, something reliable to always be with you on your keyring, but it might not get used a lot..... then I haven't seen anything better for that than the Fenix E05. Simple, floody, reliable, excellent balance between brightness and runtime, and relatively inexpensive.

Yes, for about the same price you could get something like the ITP A3 EOS, but I'm just not convinced that the ITP A3 will be as reliable in the long run as the Fenix E05, and above all, I feel a light should be reliable. I know there are folks who have had good luck with their ITP A3s, but I've read quite a few reports of issues as well, while the Fenix E05 consistently gets high marks.... and has for years.

Now, if you think your 1xAAA light might see more action, and you want a quality 3 level 1xAAA...... I highly recommend the Preon Revo SS. The machining and craftsmanship are superb, and the 3 current controlled levels are well spaced and fully regulated, even on alkaline cells (something most other 1xAAA lights can't say). It also comes with a 10 year warranty!

As far as 1xAA lights are concerned, that's a whole 'nother ball of wax and really depends on what criteria are most important to YOU. I've been looking for a small, slender, reliable, 1xAA, with a clicky switch and a flexible UI, for quite some time. The one I'm considering at the moment is this:
http://kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=10717

It's a discontinued Jetbeam model, but seems to meet most, if not all, of my criteria. It also appears that Kaidomain may have a few left in stock. But that is based on MY priorities.

I think what you need to do is prioritize your most important features (size, UI, lowest and highest output requirements, switch type, etc), then start making a list of all the lights you look at, listing each lights feature set, both pros and cons, and pretty soon it will become apparent which light is the one that fits YOUR needs.

It usually takes me several months to find a light, but to be honest, that's half the fun :). So again, relax, don't be in a hurry, let all these facts and numbers roll around in your head for a week or two, and it will all begin to fall into place.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
All anyone can do is tell you what they have and why they have it. I have the ITP A3 3 mode. It was $23, is well made, is bright, has a nice beam and I didn't want strobes or clicky tail switches. It has a nice low.

I don't care about warranties (I assume it has one I just don't care). I don't want to pay more than I need to since even if it lasts 10 years or more I doubt I'll be using it in 10 years. Something more interesting will come along.

How many people are using the same lights (of any kind) today that they did 10 years ago. I got the ITP in part because it has a ring attached to the tail. I use this light with a string going through the ring making it a necklace. I don't wear it all the time. If I'm going out at night I usually put it on and hide it under my shirt so no one knows I have it. It's small!

It's nice as a hanging tent light on low. It good on high (!00 lumens) if I drop something and I find that I use it on medium or low more than on high so even with one AAA battery it has a decent run time.

That's what I have and my reasoning for purchasing that light. Your mileage may vary :)

Last edited: