Best build quality and warranty

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the weather conditions of where you live are important, and in the UK its always dry as it never rains, and its never foggy due to the constant dryness since its a landlocked country, and the desert conditions there are another factor since its just south of the equator.....LOL

No, seriously I think any decent name brand light will be water proof enough enough to deal with rain, and they should be tough for the most part. I had always wondered how well the cheaper, off brand lights would hold up, and I guess this thread answers my question! What type of battery do you prefer it run on? How many of those batteries? That is another factor. Do you want a thrower, a flooder?

Last edited by a moderator:

jomox

Newly Enlightened
Well, the weather conditions of where you live are important, and in the UK its always dry as it never rains, and its never foggy due to the constant dryness since its a landlocked country, and the desert conditions there are another factor since its just south of the equator.....LOL

No, seriously I think any decent name brand light will be water proof enough enough to deal with rain, and they should be tough for the most part. I had always wondered how well the cheaper, off brand lights would hold up, and I guess this thread answers my question! What type of battery do you prefer it run on? How many of those batteries? That is another factor. Do you want a thrower, a flooder?

Had enough of the cheaper none branded lights honestly, just drive me mad now. Now my latest one won't even open so I can't change the batteries, will have to get it on the table vice... (It can't handle the change in conditions I guess) It's a 7 Watt, Cree Q5 LED etc, but the build quality is awful, it is quite bright actually but it don't throw that far and there's horrible reflections due to the poor design. (Same story with most of these cheaper none branded ones)

I'd prefer to go AAA or AA and I don't mind if the light takes more then one battery at all (Up to 4 is fine) I'm swaying away from 1 x 123 now so want to go AA/AAA. It keeps things more simple as I have allot of house equipment that uses AA/AAA.

Throw or Flood is a good one as actually I prefer to have both of them here, as sometimes I need to flood the area other times need to check further away, so not sure how adjustable the current ones I'm looking at are with adjusting the throw/flood?

Last edited:

MontanaMan

Newly Enlightened
I know one was an E2E Executive Elite. Maybe two of those failed. The third was a longer light with a strike bezel.. .I'd have to look at pics to tell you the ones that went bust. Maybe I was just unlucky. I've also had an Olight SR95 Indimidator arrive DOA and had a Niteye EYE-30 fail a submersion test in my sink. Both of the latter were replaced and I've had no problems with them. My experience with SureFire might have just been my crappy luck. Now that I'm intereste in flashlights as a hobby, I'm sure I'll be adding a few new SureFire lights to my collection. So, I guess we'll see if my luck is better with the next light I purchase from that company.

(@ post #20)

MattSPL

Enlightened
Here's a review of the Olight S10 if you haven't seen it http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...CR)-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-VIDEO-and-more!

I've had my S10 for a couple of weeks now, and i'm very pleased with it. It has great runtimes and puts out tons of light for its size. Moonlight mode is perfect for walking round the house at night.
The S10 feels very solid. I knocked mine off the kitchen table onto the tiled floor. It landed on the edge of the stainless steel bezel, but barely left a mark, and still works perfectly :)
I bought it from Flashaholics, and i'm very pleased with their service.

Ezeriel

Enlightened
Don't mind about the size, I'm use to bigger lights overall, the quark for example to me are very small it will take some getting use to I guess, though the small size is handy when carrying it around. The main downside would be the 4 aa's with the E40, but I like the duration.

Looks like I'll get the Eagletac at least anyway and still have to decide on the second one.

Thanks for the info.

I love the E40, it's my favorite toy... for now ;)

but it's very focused.. a real thrower...

for general use the LD41 would be better in just about every way

As a small budget-y general use light the E25 is hard to beat

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say a 4 Sevens Quark. Good warranty and you could also buy replacement parts if needed.

+1!

They have the best customer service of all. hands down!

Plus the 10-year warranty is a comforting thought.

Also, their lights are lego-able. (Meaning, interchangeable) Google this forum if you want to find out more about this lego-able capability of the Quark series line from FourSevens. :)

jomox

Newly Enlightened
I did an impulse buy today and brought the EagleTac D25A2 & Thrunite TI. Will see how these are when they arrive. Was still tempted to get the E40 but did not. Brought the lights later than expected but had to do it considering my cheaper torch is totality dead now.

jomox

Newly Enlightened
Okay so I have had two nights with the EagleTac D25A2 & Thrunite Ti.

Main thing I like with the D25A2 is the build quality and the warranty that comes with it, this was one of the key factors for me.

But on first use I was not impressed with how it performed, I used it in the countryside on lanes and quite open spaces in fields / on hills and or though it did an okay job quite close up it seemed to lack both flood and throw, it did the job okay but I was expecting more after this first usage, especially due to the specs, I was expecting more brightness overall considering the LM. I made sure I learned all the programing & modes before hand.

Then tonight I went into the woods and it seemed better here, it lit up areas close to me very well, and I was more happy with using it in the woods. But again it lacked throw, and or though the flood was okay it was not that great either. But for me it works fine in the woods and I think this can be the light for that area, as it does the job okay there.

When I got home all the lights where off (As I left in light) and I decided to give it a go in the home in the dark, and it seemed much more at home here. It light up the rooms very very well (tactical light) To me it seems the main strength I found with this light so far is in close quarter combat situations where your in rooms and you don't need to much throw or flood, just the right amount of both for being in dark rooms when looking through them and getting a good light on certain objects quite close up also.

So the D25A2 will be the light I use for going in the woods and at home if power goes. It could still be better in the woods area but it does the job okay as stated. I am just happy I know that as long as I dont lost it, if it breaks I can easily get it replaced/fixed thanks to the warranty, but so far I don't see it going to fail very easy.

The Thrunite Ti has had me the most impressed though, amazing brightness from such a small light and it has similar throw to the D25A2, of course it's not as powerful but for the size of it it's a very handy light due to the performance of the light it outputs. I will be impressing friends with this no doubt.

So now onto a new search for the third light. I want something that has great throw and flood next for the open spaces.

Last edited:

TouchOfRed

Newly Enlightened
Top 5: Best brand with best buildquality?

Hey !

I have looked on Surefire, Zebralight, Fenix, Olight etc etc. But it's very hard to decide on pictures which one that is the best.
So im guessing Zebralight or Surefire that is on the top?

I really want a Zebralight SC600, i really do. But they are very expensive, also Surefire, but they are even more expensive.
So im looking for an alternative here..

So thats why im asking you. Which is in, your oppinion, the best top 5 brands with the best buildquality?

Thank you very much in advance ! :twothumbs

Last edited:

Z-Tab

Enlightened
Re: Top 5: Best brand with best buildquality?

Mac's Customs, Malkoff, Surefire, Peak, and HDS are my top five in no particular order (except for Mac's Customs in the #1 position).

BIG45-70

Enlightened

Mac's Customs, Malkoff, Surefire, Peak, and HDS are my top five in no particular order (except for Mac's Customs in the #1 position).

If the best is quality is what you want these are really your choices. Fenix, Jetbeam, Four Sevens and the rest of the Chinese manufactures are great lights and have their place. Surefire and Malkoff are a cut above these lights in terms of build quality.

Ezeriel

Enlightened

Hey !

I have looked on Surefire, Zebralight, Fenix, Olight etc etc. But it's very hard to decide on pictures which one that is the best.
So im guessing Zebralight or Surefire that is on the top?

I really want a Zebralight SC600, i really do. But they are very expensive, also Surefire, but they are even more expensive.
So im looking for an alternative here..

So thats why im asking you. Which is in, your oppinion, the best top 5 brands with the best buildquality?

Thank you very much in advance ! :twothumbs

Surefire is the king of quality by a mile. There really is nothing that comes close, and you you will pay a pretty penny for it.

...there's a reason for it, surefires are made to be put on assault rifles.

Fenix is likely the number two for quality. There is plenty of debate on this, as many companies are very close, but if you want
a light to stick on your bike for off-road riding, fenix wants to be the light you choose, and they usually are. Are there better
brands for quality? maybe... but they will cost you far more than what fenix charges.

Eagle Tac is likely number three for quality. I can't remember anyone complaining about eagle tac's quality, and now they have
a ten year warranty, so it doesn't matter if I'm wrong ;)

Klarus is brand that is starting to get a lot of attention.

Sunwayman has excellent build quality, but they cost too much to sell widely, so you never really know without a large user base.

Hypetac is an interesting new brand, I've bought two. The buttons get squishy after a few months of daily use, and the clips bend a little
too easily, but for a budget brand, they are rather awesome.

4Sevens has a large user base, a fanatical following, and a string of quality issues. Their customer service is top-notch, so their quality
issues don't really apply, as long as you are willing to send it back, if you get a bad one.

Olight and Shiningbeam maybe made at the same place as the 4Sevens lights, but they are made with cheaper materials. Without a
blowhard CEO bragging about how great they are, and a budget price, all those issues, that make me want to throw rocks at 4Sevens, fade away.

I've gotten my hands on three zebralights, and their quality is poor. We all like to be polite around here, but it's time to call a spade a spade,
and these lights have mountains of quality control issues, and if you do have to return it, it takes forever.

Jomox, I don't know anything about Nitecore's quality but the Nitecore EA4 is the talk of the town right now

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?347951-**NEW**-Nitecore-EA4-Pioneer-(4*AA-860lm)

Edit: I forgot jetbeam.... right up there with the rest of them, but the UI's of individual lights can be a little odd.

Last edited:

Rhaspun

Newly Enlightened
I tried the Olight S35 and it quit working after dropping it inside my truck. It had bounced off the door pocket and onto the floor. It didn't work right away but after pushing on the switch a few times it started. But a few months later it totally quit working.

Steven8976

Newly Enlightened
Please don't forget Inova's. I have had mine only a few weeks but in research I couldn't find ANY quality issues from anyone on the web.