Best cheap tactical 2 CR123 incan. flashlight

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm sorry Mono, but I see a difference between a P60 and a Maxfire as far as beam quality.

Yes, performance-wise they are about equal.

Must admit, your post confuses me. first you disagree with me, but then you agree. :thinking:

Perhaps there is a difference in beam quality between the two. But if there is, I honestly don't see any. I'm only 32. My eyes work well. I work patrolling darkened office floors. Comapring both side-by-side, I saw no difference. Since the Topic-starter wanted the least expensive example of such a light, I still have to go with the Maxfire rather than the G2.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm sorry Mono....

Okay, for some very strange reason, my response to your post appeared above your last post. Instead of below it. :confused:

Just making this post to clarify for anyone reading this thread that your post should appeared first.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I'm sorry Mono, but I see a difference between a P60 and a Maxfire as far as beam quality.

Yes, performance-wise they are about equal.

I still believe the Maxfire will be just about perfect once I get a DX Cree module in it!

carrot

Flashaholic
IMHO if you want quality over price, but still reasonably priced, the G2 is where it's at. If you want price over quality, but still good quality, the Maxfire is for you. It seems to me that the Maxfire offers a better value.

Personally I would choose the G2 over the Maxfire simply because I hate rubber coatings on my flashlights.

Bror Jace

Enlightened
Wow, again with an odd defininition of "cheap." :shrug:

I bought this 2 x CR123 from DAE for $8:

http://www.qualitychinagoods.com/xenon-gentle-police-rugged-recommended-p-261.html

I love the thing. To the casual observer, it is one of my most impressive lights ... so much light from such a compact package. It has a nice red finish and feels really solid. People guess that I paid $30-40+ for the thing. :sssh:

Light has a focus-able beam, twist switch with a momentary button. :)

cy

Flashaholic
there's more to it than beam quality. one of my first high quality lights was a $20 brinkman purchased at walmart. older versions had adjustable focus.

if you look closely at a P60 bulb vs brinkman's bulb. then you will see the difference in construction. Surefire P60 comes as a reflector filament assembly. ground wire is welded to spring resulting in an extremely robust bulb. when mated to M2's shock isolated bezel, it becomes a weapon light system.

yes... there is a difference!

besides we are talking about comparing a $30 vs $20 light. not a big difference. when you consider the huge jump in quality. now if we're comparing $168 surefire M2 vs $20 brinkman....

Monocrom; said:
Must admit, your post confuses me. first you disagree with me, but then you agree. :thinking:

Perhaps there is a difference in beam quality between the two. But if there is, I honestly don't see any. I'm only 32. My eyes work well. I work patrolling darkened office floors. Comapring both side-by-side, I saw no difference. Since the Topic-starter wanted the least expensive example of such a light, I still have to go with the Maxfire rather than the G2.

Last edited:

aml

Newly Enlightened
remember that a maxfire bulb can always be replaced by a surefire p60 bulb down the line.

firefly99

Enlightened
Heard so much recommendation for Brinkmann Maxfire LX. Just wondering if any warranty is available ? What to do if it develop a fault ?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Yeah, the P60 drops right in a Maxfire. The one in my truck is so equipped.

That is, ONLY until I get a DX Cree working in the light!

And as to warranty... even for a mostly :broke: dude like me I say I'd just get a new one if the one I had broke. On the otherhand however I have a rechargable version of the light so I have an extra tailcap and head assembly already!

YAK-28

Enlightened
anybody else try one of the pelican pm6 3320's? small easy, to carry, $24. maybe more of a longer spot beam. since i've tried one it's been my edc and user. seemed to pretty good on the batteries also.

cy

Flashaholic
Pelican PM6 is another excellent low cost 2x CR123 light. it's also easily converted to LED. PM6 reflector was the basis for Don's early mods.

conversion to LED is simplest with a P60 drop in module. these have really dropped in price. got several original 3watt luxon version that drops right in any light that uses P60 bulb. G2, 6P, M2 etc.

almost ordered a cree P60 drop in for $12 a few days ago from Deal extreme.

ROGUE

Newly Enlightened
+1 for the Wolf Eyes Sniper or Defender, offers a aluminium body and ability to run 18650 straight out of the box (with LA change) for a similar price as the G2

x2

My Defender II is the shizz!

Even the crooks i'm locking up are asking about my torch :crackup:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Heard so much recommendation for Brinkmann Maxfire LX. Just wondering if any warranty is available ? What to do if it develop a fault ?

Drive down to Target or Wal-Mart and get a new one for 17 bucks.
(Sorry if that came out a bit sarcastic, not my intent).

I'm sure there is a basic warranty, but honestly; I didn't bother to check. If it makes you feel better, I used to use mine as my work light. It has gone through 3 sets of lithium batteries, and still works great! :twothumbs

The only time you notice that the Maxfire is built to a price-point, is when you unscrew the tailcap to change the batteries. Mine makes a horrible grinding sound! And, it feels as though it takes forever to get that tailcap unscrewed. But the horrible sound is just that.... a sound. Minor disadvantages that are both liveable.

BTW, I only switched my work light to a 2-C Mag w/ MagLED Drop-in because C-cells are cheaper. That's the only reason. If you can live without the Surefire name on the side of your light, the Maxfire shines! (Pardon the pun). :grin2:

Latest posts