Best kind of LR44/AG13 batteries, and where to buy

901-Memphis

Enlightened
Are LR44s at dollar stores silver oxide? Would they typically be the low drain type, which appears lower quality?

ginbot86

Newly Enlightened
If it's specifically marked LR44, then it won't be a silver oxide cell. If it's an actual SR44, then if it lacks an S or SW suffix it'll be a 'medium drain' battery (ie. it won't do optimally at low or high discharge currents, but will still produce better performance than an equivalent alkaline cell).

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Energizer Ratings:

Alkaline:

A76 153 mA*h to 0.9V (6.5 Kohm load)
"Designed for applications which require high rate pulses"
1-5 ohm impedance
Compare to LR44, a "General Purpose" cell.

Silver Oxide:

357-303 150 mA*h to 1.3V (6.5 Kohm load)
"Designed for continuous low drain & high pulse on demand"
2-8 ohm impedance
Compare to SR44SW & 303 "Wristwatch, LOW drain"

357-303H 175 mA*h to 1.3V (6.5 Kohm load)
"Designed for continuous low drain & high pulse on demand"
2-8 ohm impedance
Compare to SR44W & 357 "Wristwatch, HIGH drain"

The difference between these two is the "H" does not tail off in voltage until nearly 600 hours, the standard version takes about 400 hours. See datasheets for more.

EPX76 200 mA*h to 0.9V (6.5 Kohm load)
"Developed specifically for photo use"
5-10 ohms impedance
Compare to SR44, "General Purpose, Long Life"

So you see, the cell you need depends on how you will be using it. For instance, photographers need longest life and the cells and can tolerate a higher impedance... probably because they use multiple cells in series.

The only thing I would use Alkalines in is inexpensive toys and lights, mainly because I want cheap compact power and I'm willing to take the risk of leakage.

Otherwise, I buy Energizer Silver Oxide 303/357 from Amazon or Ebay at around $10 for a pack of 10. Mostly for devices of value (low risk of leakage), or places I expect to leave the cells in for years of low-drain or occasional service.

Usually when you buy these cells, you'll only be able to specify alkaline or silver oxide from retail sources. The various forms of silver oxide cells have probably been consolidated into one common 357-303 specification for consumers.

Last edited:

menowantsmellyfish

Newly Enlightened
Energizer Ratings:
Otherwise, I buy Energizer Silver Oxide 303/357 from Amazon or Ebay at around $10 for a pack of 10. Mostly for devices of value (low risk of leakage), or places I expect to leave the cells in for years of low-drain or occasional service.

I know this is an old thread, but I just have to comment. I owned a camera store for years in the late 80s and early 90s and we had changed thousands of silver oxide batteries that powered SLRs light meters and I can tell you that I have seen them LEAK a lot and often. Used to have customers come in, and I am not kidding with leakage in $2000.00 Leica cameras. I have seen alkaline leak also, but not at a significantly higher rate. The biggest cause was that the camera was stored until the next vacation two years later. During the time, the batteries would die which greatly increases the risk of leakage. As a rule of thumb NEVER LEAVE BATTERIES IN A DEVICE THAT IS NOT GOING TO BE USED. Always take them out! This will solve 90% of risk no matter alkaline or anything else.

One great things about the silver oxide is that we would keep them, and when we had around 5lbs or so we were able to send them to a company that extracted the silver and we would get a nice check a month or so later.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
In 1980 I bought a calculator at a college campus bookstore it was on clearance and it came with alkaline batteries but the clerk gave me a free set of SR44 batteries (silver oxide). The SR44 batteries went bad and leaked on me about 6-7 years later while the alkalines were in the calculator for over 20 years before they got too weak to see the display and never leaked. I didn't use the calculator very often with the advent of computers I end up most often using the calculator programs on computer than a hand held calculator when at home. I've had plenty of button cells (LR44 etc) leak on me in things on occasion they spew badly but often they just leak a little white powder around the seals. I buy my button cells as cheap as I can find them as often they go bad before I get around to using them (years later) regardless of the brand I get. You can pay 20 cents or more for a button cell battery and it may last 20% longer than a battery costing a dime which may last 10% longer than one costing a nickle.
I've purposely replaced all devices that use button cells with ones that use AAAs or AAs if possible as button cells may be useful for an occasional device operation but serious usage will find you replacing them often and things not work or be dim etc in the case of lights.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
This appears to be the encyclopedia thread for all things LR44/SR44. Maybe this should be a sticky? I am posting to mention the existence of a 6V primary cell called 4LR44 (Duracell 28A or PX28AB, and Energizer A544), which is actually 4xLR44 cells wrapped up, and would work in any application that uses 4 stacked LR44 cells, or 2 stacked 1/3N cells. Interestingly, it is roughly the same size as a 4.2V 10180 Li-ion secondary cell, which highlights the fact that the LR44 has a diameter around 10mm, just like a AAA/10440 cell, which I believe is as tall as 9xLR44 or perhaps 10xLR44.

from wikipedia:
The battery nomenclature is defined by the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) in its 60086-3 standard (Primary batteries, part 3 Watch batteries). The letter "L" indicates the electrochemical system used: a zinc negative electrode, manganese dioxide depolarizer and positive electrode, and an alkaline electrolyte. "R44" indicates a cylindrical ("round") cell 11.4±0.2 mm diameter and 5.2±0.2 mm height.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
This appears to be the encyclopedia thread for all things LR44/SR44. Maybe this should be a sticky? I am posting to mention the existence of a 6V primary cell called 4LR44 (Duracell 28A or PX28AB, and Energizer A544), which is actually 4xLR44 cells wrapped up, and would work in any application that uses 4 stacked LR44 cells, or 2 stacked 1/3N cells. Interestingly, it is roughly the same size as a 4.2V 10180 Li-ion secondary cell, which highlights the fact that the LR44 has a diameter around 10mm, just like a AAA/10440 cell, which I believe is as tall as 9xLR44 or perhaps 10xLR44.

from wikipedia:
Don't forget the car remote battery I think A23 which years ago in the forum some people who couldn't find a cheap source of AG13/LR44 batteries would take apart because they contain 8 batteries in them. You used to be able to buy them for about $1.25 each in a 2 pack at Walmart but now that 2 pack is closer to $4.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget the car remote battery I think A23 which years ago in the forum some people who couldn't find a cheap source of AG13/LR44 batteries would take apart because they contain 8 batteries in them. You used to be able to buy them for about $1.25 each in a 2 pack at Walmart but now that 2 pack is closer to $4.

That`s 23A i bought a pack of 5 for my front door bell i bought 5 years ago and it`s still on the battery it came with.

So if i run out of LR44 i will get the pliers out.

John.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
That`s 23A i bought a pack of 5 for my front door bell i bought 5 years ago and it`s still on the battery it came with.

So if i run out of LR44 i will get the pliers out.

John.
I would tear them apart and use them if you don't think you would ever use the batteries as alkaline button cells tend to go "stale" after 4-5 years although at times they can be fine for even 20 years later it is not a good gamble to put trust in them not leaking or going bad. I've found at times with devices using multiple batteries something only one goes bad or leaks the rest may be fine so even if you have an A23 that measures low you may be able to rip it apart and find 5-7 good button cells in the mix.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would tear them apart and use them if you don't think you would ever use the batteries as alkaline button cells tend to go "stale" after 4-5 years although at times they can be fine for even 20 years later it is not a good gamble to put trust in them not leaking or going bad. I've found at times with devices using multiple batteries something only one goes bad or leaks the rest may be fine so even if you have an A23 that measures low you may be able to rip it apart and find 5-7 good button cells in the mix.

They have been in the refrigerator since i bought them, I have 6 EverReady Gold D alkaline in there for like 10 years and they seem to be OK.

John.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
They have been in the refrigerator since i bought them, I have 6 EverReady Gold D alkaline in there for like 10 years and they seem to be OK.

John.
I got rid of a lantern with 8 D cells dated 2007 expiration that worked that were never in the fridge and lived through 110 degree weather (90 indoors). The thing is I haven't figured out why some button or coin cells go bad without use and others are good for a decade but the chance of it happening is a lot higher than larger batteries for me.

dennck

Newly Enlightened
Those tiny cells in the 23A are not the same size as LR44. I think they are closer to LR41 in size.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I will bust one open and report back.

EDIT: They have LR932 written on them.

John.
I learn something every day...... I just took it for granted that was what was in it since someone reported in the forum that they took one apart. I just looked up the LR932 the closest size is the AG9 but no direct cross reference in wiki and are a little smaller with about 2/3 of the capacity of AG13/LR44. Even though they are smaller and lower capacity I guess they make work in a pinch in some devices. In LED applications 4 of these could possibly squeeze in the same space as 3 LR44 batteries perhaps.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I learn something every day...... I just took it for granted that was what was in it since someone reported in the forum that they took one apart. I just looked up the LR932 the closest size is the AG9 but no direct cross reference in wiki and are a little smaller with about 2/3 of the capacity of AG13/LR44. Even though they are smaller and lower capacity I guess they make work in a pinch in some devices. In LED applications 4 of these could possibly squeeze in the same space as 3 LR44 batteries perhaps.

Well i hope nobody ordered any 23A battery to get the LR44 out of them :oops:

John.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Well i hope nobody ordered any 23A battery to get the LR44 out of them :oops:

John.
I doubt anyone has as LR44 button cells aren't hard to find and 23A batteries have gotten more expensive such that it isn't really worth the trouble of buying them to harvest batteries from them.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I was just on amazon UK, they had 50 cr2032 for £10 and they got good reviews, my 3d TV glasses use them if I use them any more.

John
bought a bunch of 2016s once from an asian website and half of them went bad sitting around waiting to be used. I use 2032 in my bathroom scale and was having a hard time finding one to not give me a low battery warning even though they test over 3V. I've also had a batch of about 12 AG13(LR44) go bad on me 2 years after I bought them on ebay but the 8 I used paid for the whole batch as it was cheaper for those 8 than buying them locally.
I have a few things that use 2016,2025, and 2031 batteries. I had an idea once to use a pair of 2032 in remote controls instead of alkaline AAA/AA batteries. That is remotes I use only on occasion not daily or often but need now and then. I have a fan remote in the living room that twice has had 2AAA alkalines leak in it. My only drawback is the holder for one 2032 cell costs about 1.65 or so if you wanted to use 2 that would be 3.30 plus figuring out a way to hook up to the remote.

Last edited:

DickDaMann

Newly Enlightened
I use these things in everything. I bought a pack of 50 off ebay for like $10 + shipping and they seem to go fast.

I have no idea what type they are as all they say on the back is "AG13 Button Cell"

I am assuming the alkaline types are the better ones but how can you be sure your getting good ones and where can i buy them in bigger than single quantities? A 10 pack would be good, or more if the price is right.

Thanks in advance

link to battery types and uses - https://www.deepcyclemarinebattery..../lr44-ag13-lr1154-sr44-303-357-batteries.html