Best light for an elderly lady's purse?

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
I'd recommend an Icon Rogue 1.

It's a simple light, easy to hold and comes with two different lanyards if they want extra re-assurance in keeping hold of it.

It's a clicky UI which comes on in the first click to a nice general use level which is probably all they'd ever need to worry about, however a further click off and on gives you a nice low low mode.

U

User3451

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I'll probably see her fairly often, maybe once a week or once every two weeks tops.

I asked the question as a rechargeable flashlight might be a better option but thease types of lights dont really fit your description.

I havent used a Proton Pro but I have heard nothing but good things about them.

ama230

Enlightened
Icon Modus 1. Boom!

Had a chance to play with one of these when I gifted one. Quite nice. Plastic polymer body is very comfortable to hold, but still very durable, large enough for feeble hands but easy to fit in a purse. Two mode tail clicky: low 5 lm, hi 50 lm. Very simple to operate: click on, click off/on to change between modes. It does use a TIR, but I would not classify it as a 'dedicated thrower'. And pretty reasonable price, these can be found around $30.

I would also like to suggest another icon light that would clip to her purse strap. Its the ICON LINK and it has a built in carabiner that will clip to her purse strap and has a nice smooth movement when attaching and removing from stuff.

It also is a 1-AA two mode light that has a beautiful easy switch that is a foward clicky. To move between the modes, you just lightly press once(high) twice(low) and in either selection just click in all the way and its set. Has a great runtime with all types of batteries and not to mention styling. Here are some pics below(800x600)This is when I did a review of the light when it came out with the ICON SOLO 2AAA penlight and love them both. Lighthound has these at great prices and customer service. 25bucks

Then the photon pro 1-AA is awesome and has the famous freedom ui and i love their products. Comes with a little holder that holds the light so it wont get makeup or whatever else she has in her purse. I have the old 6x5mm nichias and the new 1x cree XR-E and they are both awesome.
The old version has great flood and the new has ridiculous throw. Battery juction has the best price for this light and great customer service.40bucks

IMAG0199.jpg

IMAG0182.jpg

IMAG0180.jpg

IMAG0179.jpg

Hope this helps...
Eric

Last edited:

guggep

Newly Enlightened
Hi Team,

I got the mother in law a quark turbo. She loves it... Loves it.
I set it up for her at first and she has not been without it since. Its definitely a quality light, can illuminate her car at a distance in a parking lot at night, has a larger head than tail so its easy to know where the front is, is big enough for shaky hands to grasp.

I hit a home run with that.

Mike V

Enlightened
With the Zebralight she could just use it as a single mode.

Click for on (High).
Click for off.

You wouldn't even have to tell her it is capable of different modes.

I think side clicky and flood is ideal.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe she would like the flood mode of the romisen rc-29. It's hard to turn though so you would have to set it to flood and then leave it that way for her. Might still be a good choice though. You could get her the WW version too if you are so inclined.

tygger

Enlightened
I just bought four of these single AA clickys from Lighthound to use as loaner lights to non-flashaholics. Don't know anything about them though. Hopefully they have decent runtime. Anyone have info on these?

Just an update on these $7 lights from Lighthound. Overall pleased. Threads needed cleaning/lubing, and applied Deoxit to contacts. Estimated output around 35ish lumens, with small tight spot and ok spill. Decent tint on all 4 samples. Reverse clicky tailcap is quite stiff, but should prevent accidental activation. Same perceived output on alkalines and L91's. Exact body style of old Fenix L1P. Overall a good loaner light. Plus there's a 90 day warranty from Lighthound. But I suppose the postage would cost more than sending one back should it fail. Anyway, time will tell if these lights stand up to daily use, but so far so good.

Hellbore

Enlightened
I decided to try the Photon Proton for my Mom, thinking that well, if it doesn't work well for her, I'll just keep it for myself and move on to one of the other excellent suggestions, like an Icon, or Zebralight, Jetbeam, Terralux, etc. I would buy all of these lights if I could afford it and try each one, but I had to start somewhere :)

At first I was worried that it wasn't the right choice. I gave it to her and said "see if you can figure out how to turn it on". At first, she fumbled around for a while, and couldn't figure it out. She thought it was another twistie, and was trying to twist the head. She also tried to press the tailcap (remembering her tailcap clickie light).

Finally I told her, this light has a button on the side. She said OH! and quickly found the button and clicked the light on. I guess the button is low-profile enough that she didn't find it on her own, but once she knew it was there, she had no trouble locating it.

Then, I started to tell her about the light. Meanwhile she clicked it on and off a few times, and when I told her the light could be dimmed to any brightness she wanted, before I had a chance to tell her how to dim it, within seconds she figured it out on her own :eek:oo:

Then I told her there were other modes, and she figured out how to get to them just by experimenting with clicking and holding down the button! I was really surprised at how quickly she figured out how to use the light. This is the same person who had a terrible time trying to figure out mode-switching on a twisty light!

Anyway, this was very encouraging, and she seemed really happy with the light, and said she was excited to play with her "new toy". She likes the keychain loop on the tailcap, and we talked about how she wants to put some kind of a charm, or tassel, or something dangly on there for decoration. She also said the pocket clip will be perfect to clip it in the pocket of her purse (this was the idea of the light, for her to keep it with her in her purse).

Anyway, she really liked it, and said it was far easier to operate with one hand than the other small lights I have shown or given her. There must be something intuitive about the pushbutton UI of the Photon Proton, because she figured it out quickly, and she didn't easily figure out the UI of the multi-mode twisties, nor did she have an easy time with multi-mode forward-clickie or reverse-clickie lights I showed her from my collection. Figure that one out...

Another interesting thing: This light has the additional red LED, which I thought was going to be useless to her. Well, she figured out how to use it, and was excited about it, for a reason I didn't even think of. I forgot that she has a telescope that she has been learning how to use to look at the moon at night. Occasionally when family visits, she likes to take the kids outside at night and look through the telescope with them, which the kids love. When we do this, it's always a hassle trying to cover the flashlight with your hand or something so you don't blind everyone's night-adapted eyes. Well, she had read about how stargazers sometimes use red lights to preserve night vision, and she was excited to use this light for that purpose.

Anyway, I think she's really happy with the light, so the search just might be over already... In fact my only complaint about this light is that it doesn't come with a lanyard. She wants a tassel, or charm, or something hanging from the end of the light, and a lanyard would have been something at least. Any ideas for a good fun thing to hang from the end of the light? Preferably something "pretty", says Mom...

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool, it sounds like a new flashaholic has been created. Nobody is ever too old to get into flashlights. :twothumbs

As for a tassel or something else to attach to her new light to make it pretty, I'll have to pass on that one. That's definitely too far into the "girl stuff" territory for me. My girlfriend probably would have some good ideas though. :D